Cincinnati Gun Problems

This is a discussion on Cincinnati Gun Problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last year Cincinnati had a record 86 Homicides, the highest number since reliable records started to be kept in the 50's. Doing some rough math, ...

Thread: Cincinnati Gun Problems

Post Cincinnati Gun Problems

Last year Cincinnati had a record 86 Homicides, the highest number since reliable records started to be kept in the 50's. Doing some rough math, that makes the Homicide rate about 26.8 (Crime rates are done per 100,000 people, and the most recent estimates I could find for Cincinnati, not the whole greater Cincinnati area, were about 320,000. For comparison, in 2005 Detroit Mi had a homicide rate of 39.3, and the national average was 6.9). Needless to say though, there is a lot of talk going on in the city about firearms. I came accross this article in the paper today:
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...359/1077/COL02

Which had the headline "Police Ramp Up Gun Crackdown." I was expecting the normal anti-gun slant, but that wasn't really what the article contained. It was more along the lines of, laws already in effect need to be enforced.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said state-level gun laws were tougher before sentencing laws were changed a decade ago.

"I think one of our goals ought to be to send these people to state institutions," he said.

He suggests Ohio law be rewritten to say anyone who isn't eligible to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon should serve a mandatory prison term if caught with a weapon.

"It would send a clear message to the courts that these people need to be locked up," Deters said.

Rep. Bill Seitz. R-Green Township, said he proposed that very idea last year, but the state Senate shot it down. He said he'll reintroduce the proposal this year.

"Law-abiding citizens have the right to carry a gun," Seitz said. "But if you're not a law-abiding citizen, you don't have that right and should face punishment if you're caught with a weapon."
    It sounds like at least a couple of people have their heads on kinda straight. Some people lose their right to own/carry firearms through their acts, although I'm not gonna touch on the age requirements. But if people get caught with a gun they shouldn't have (and almost certainly didn't buy legally) , then they should be punished. Sorry about the long post, anyone else have feedback on this?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The area has a lot more underlying problems than the gun issue. Mr. Deters is not a gun grabber by any stretch, nor is Tom Striecher and CPD.

I dont disagree with their stance. I also dont see a big deal in the homicide rate, as long as the thugs are killing each other and not inocent people.

My only problem with the homicide rate is that my mother works for a CISE school in OTR, but the Church associated with the school does a lot for the community, so apparently it is known not to mess with the employees of the school or church. As long as innocents aren't hurt, its just criminal thugs shooting criminal thugs, and well, that happens.

There are tons of problems with the area, that is for sure. It's just good to know sometimes that not everyone in power is completely deranged.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    "Law-abiding citizens have the right to carry a gun," Seitz said. "But if you're not a law-abiding citizen, you don't have that right and should face punishment if you're caught with a weapon."
    Well - that is one of the most refreshing comments I have seen in quite some while. It actually makes sense
    I also dont see a big deal in the homicide rate, as long as the thugs are killing each other and not innocent people.
    There's an element of truth in that too ------- if only .........
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    The issue will come up, the city of cincinnati has a history of listening to the morons that are drowning the city with crime and corruption. Thats why they are where they are. I know city council's solution is going to be gun control, they always come up with the dumbest solution to a simple problem. Its a case of the vocal minority here. If you want to make your blood boil, check out the agreement forced on CPD with the criminal element after the riots.... and they wonder why crime has sky rocketed.

Links