Does Your Accuracy Vary By Gun

This is a discussion on Does Your Accuracy Vary By Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last week I went to the range with 5 guns (see chart below) to see what I could do at 25 yards for the 25 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Does Your Accuracy Vary By Gun

VIP Member

Does Your Accuracy Vary By Gun

Last week I went to the range with 5 guns (see chart below) to see what I could do at 25 yards for the 25 yard thread. The results were not quite what I expected. I had anticipated the G21, FNS & 1911 to be very close in group results with the G21 being the best. I thought the G30 would be behind those and the Shield near, but behind the G30. The results for the 5 shot groups and the best 4 shots of the group are as follows:

Weapon...........5 Shot Group.........4 Shot Group..........Caliber.............Sights
    G21..........................3.3"................. .....2.4"................45ACP............Red Dot Sight
    G30..........................4.4"................. .....4.2"................45ACP............Night sights - orange rear & green front (3 dot)
    FNS..........................6.7"................. .....4.0"..................9mm............Factory night sights (3 dot)
    1911.........................6.9"................. .....5.1"................45ACP............Factory night sights (3 dot)
    Shield.......................8.9"................. .....8.5"..................9mm............Big Dot sights (dot the i format)

The following comments focus on the 4 shot group data (allowing for 1 shooter-induced flyer).

- I shoot the G21 the most and its RDS sight system allows the sight and target to be in the same plane of vision, so its place at the top of the heap was no surprise. The margin by which it shot better than the others was, however, surprising.

- Also surprising was the G30's performance fitting in with the full sized FNS and beating the 1911.

- Now I must admit that the G21 absolutely fits my hand like it was made for it. The G30 has similar ergos with a shorter grip.

- The FNS does not fit as well, but has a heftier grip (with the large backstrap) than the 1911.

- The 1911 feels like a toothpick and I have had times when I was not gripping it enough to disarm the grip safety. Gripping it that tightly puts the trigger finger at a fairly acute angle that is past 90* just to touch the trigger. Even so, I anticipated doing better with it due to its lighter trigger.

- The Shield, with the Big Dot sights was not a surprise. Good enough for most SD situations, but I would not want to have to take a 25 yard hostage-taker head shot with it.

My question for the group is this - Do you have similar variability in your results when shooting different guns? Also, how much does the fit of the gun to your hand have to do with accuracy?
    Tinman517 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I tend to shoot all my handguns of different makes and models equally bad. But that doesn't mean I'm going to miss! With any of them I can shoot an eye out--if I aim for the belly button. Whose eye might be debatable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Absolutely. I recently got rid of a S&W M&P compact 9mm. And it was a hard decision.

The gun ran like a champ. Not a thing wrong with it, and I actually hit pretty well with it. What most people would consider pretty darn good.

However, I had to concentrate more to hit as well with it as I do with no effort with my G 19s.

I think it's probably true for everyone. Many pages could be written talking about all the different factors that go into making a gun more shootable, both mechanically and shooter influenced.
    Kilowatt3, Navydude and AmmoFan01 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I do well to hit a paper plate at 25 yards. 2.4" group at 25 yards? That's good shootin', I won't be betting against you.
    Navydude likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Yup, some guns shoot better for me than others. Some guns are inherently more accurate than others, and some guns fit you better than others. All these factor come into play when choosing the right gun for "YOU".
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

VIP Member
    Definitely varies from gun to gun. I shoot my 1911 best of all. My DA/SA guns, while not as tight of groups are acceptable.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Yes, I vary from gun to gun. I shoot my .5 UPSc and both my 9mm CZs well, but not my K40. That one I passed on to my husband, and he shoots it well. A gun really has to fit my hands well and not try to remove them while shooting. So while the K40 felt perfect in my hands, I had to shoot it every week to maintain proficiency because that snappy caliber was just a bit too much.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I haven't measured that closely.
    But yes, I am certain that my ability to shoot my .380, 9mm and .45 are going to be different.
    Even though the 9mm and .45 are very similar. The weapons have different weights, lengths and grips.
    Not sure I could even reliably hit an 8" plate at 25 yds with the .380.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    ... to see what I could do at 25 yards for the 25 yard thread. The results were not quite what I expected.

Weapon...........5 Shot Group.........4 Shot Group..........Caliber.............Sights
    G21..........................3.3"................. .....2.4"................45ACP............Red Dot Sight
    G30..........................4.4"................. .....4.2"................45ACP............Night sights - orange rear & green front (3 dot)
    FNS..........................6.7"................. .....4.0"..................9mm............Factory night sights (3 dot)
    1911.........................6.9"................. .....5.1"................45ACP............Factory night sights (3 dot)
    Shield.......................8.9"................. .....8.5"..................9mm............Big Dot sights (dot the i format)
    Was wondering: what's the amount of 'saddle' time you've got with each of those platforms, in terms of the number of rounds estimated you've put through each?

I've had similar variation from gun to gun, yes. Though I don't recall making specific comparison at 25yds distance. Many comparison tests at 3/5/7/10/12yds or so, under movement, with two/one/off hand.

Best performers, for me: Browning BDM 9mm, CZ P-01 9mm, probably the Glock 19 9mm, and a couple of the larger third-gen S&W pistols (of the 6900/5900 series). All the rest pale by comparison. From time to time, I have shot a few nice, old school, heavier revolvers with longer barrels. Occasionally, one of those astounds me with its accuracy, though I've not shot these with much frequency.

One surprise "fly in the ointment": the Kahr PM9 9mm. Amazingly, out to about 7yds or so, that little sucker is one of the more accurate guns I've ever shot. Something about it's balance and "timing" under fire matches well to what my muscles and technique are tuned to do. Out of the box, that thing is very accurate for me, for such a puny little gun. Beyond about 8-10yds or so, though, accuracy plummets.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Yes, I vary from gun to gun. I shoot my .5 UPSc and both my 9mm CZs well, but not my K40. So while the K40 felt perfect in my hands, I had to shoot it every week to maintain proficiency because that snappy caliber was just a bit too much.
    The K9 9mm might well be stellar, for you.

Don't recall having shot the K40, myself, but the K9 is a peach. Something about 9mm pistols seem to work very well, for me, in terms of basic accuracy. Just powerful enough, not snappy, fairly easy for follow-up consistency.

Not really with my main three. My EDC's are a PM9 and PM40. I shoot them both equally well. PM9 is seeing more summer carry because the Handall Jr. on the PM40 tends to grab shirts a bit. Doesn't snag, just lends to more printing.

My G19 was my service gun for 16 of my 20 years, so very familiar. It is more accurate for me at 25 yards but surprisingly not hy much.

With my Ruger Service Six, I'm more accurate than the others at all distances. My SPNY, I'm less accurate. My Seecamp LWS32 is of course the least accurate of all.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    When I had H&K's I couldn't hit my arse with both hands if I tried. I was a terrible shot past 10 or 12 yards with the USP series.

I shoot the Walther P99/P5 and the SIG-Sauer P220 the best.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    I shoot the ... SIG-Sauer P220 the best.
    Ooh, I'd forgotten about the P220. Had a friend, back when, who had one. What a sweetly accurate little beast that was. Have never owned one, but I love how they shoot. Very, very accurate.

No doubt, I shoot some of my carry handguns much better than others eg., I shoot my G26, 19, and 30SF much better than my 23 and 27. As I got older, the .40 caliber became much of a chore to shoot.

As such, my G23 and 27 have recently been removed from my EDC rotation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links