Defensive Carry banner

Best Ammo For "Baby Eagle 9mm"..???

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  fldude 
#1 ·
I Just Recently Purchased A MRI Baby Eagle 9mm. Ive Put appx. 300 rounds through it Of Several Diff Kinds Of ammo , all with Different outcomes as usaul. But on the MRI Website, it said no +P or +P+ Ammo...Would That Go For Fed. Hydra-Shok, Or Hornady TAP FPD ? Right now i keep it loaded with Win. Supreme SXT 147g...But have done research & found out that there was a recall on what they used to call "Black Talon" ammo, Which is supposedly the same thing as the SXT..just different name. If I Trust my Life with this thing, I want to Make Sure And Use the Best To do So! ...Any Help??

#2 ·
First -

There is plenty of choice really in std pressure rounds and main deal IMO is what feeds 100% reliably.

I would favor personally 115 or 124 JHP Gold Dots as ammo with good bullet performance. Any ammo should anyways state if over std pressure and so possibly EFMJ's or Powerball might be OK - but you have to check. HydraShok should be fine BTW.

Really not sure if there is a ''best'' - other than what is dead on reliable for you - in that gun.

#4 ·
My son (Mercalf) just joined the forum and just bought (ordered) his first pistol - Baby Eagle 9mm. I've recommended Gold Dots or Hornady TAP. Like P95 said, it all depends on what works BEST in THAT gun. Firearms are like fingerprints - each one is slightly different. Find what works best for you and practice with it - a lot. Nice thing about 9mm is the ammo is significantly less than my .45 :(

#5 ·
Magnum Research says directly on their website NOT to use +p or +p+ loads. I just bought a baby eagle 9mm myself for my first pistol and am awaiting the delivery. Has anyone experimented enough with this pistol to know the best loads for groups?

#6 ·
Hollowp84 and Mercalf: welcome to our slice of Internet Heaven!

These guns are essentially Tanfoglio (maker of the EAA-imported Witness line) parts, constructed by the Israelis; as such it's based on the CZ-75-series.

The Tanfoglios are pretty stout guns; however, the 9mm's and 40's are built on "medium" frames. I think they can withstand, like most modern designs a limited amount of extra-pressure ammo.

That said, I believe MR probably forbids such ammo for liability reasons; this ammo can wear out even the most sturdy design over time quicker that standard pressure/velocity ammo.

If you wish to carry such ammo in your gun, I'd load up with a good +P or +P+ and test fire a minimum of 200 rounds to determine that the gun is reliable with such a round....and then sparingly fire more over the course of your ownership of the gun so you get used to the blast and recoil. Fire standard velocity for most training/fam range trips.

If you are still concerned, I'd look into swapping your stock recoil spring for a extra power spring; not sure which these guns are OEM equipped with.......

....but, but all means, there are great standard velocity SD rounds out there like Speer Gold Dot JHP 124 grain and Federal's classic 9BP (115 grain JHP).

#8 · (Edited)
The Hornady TAP FPD 124 grain in 9mm for sure, as it's one of the most all around excellent performing rounds that exist in this caliber in a standard pressure range, with it's near match grade accuracy..no overpenetration and very low muzzle flash and recoil, it's really the perfect self defense round. Add in top notch manufacturing, very strict quality control and Hornady TAP is basically like a "Factory Handload"...It's not the highest velocity or the biggest bang on the block, but it will perform 100% consistently and reliably every single time with no suprises, is VERY ACCURATE and with the design of their hollowpoint bullet and it's sharper slant than most others you most likely won't ever have any of the feeding issues that can happen with some of the "ashtray" shaped HP rounds..The Speer Gold Dot 124 grain is second choice overall...both excellent rounds imo! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.