Kimber 3" feed problems

Kimber 3" feed problems

This is a discussion on Kimber 3" feed problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took my Ultra Carry II out today to continue the break-in process. Put something over 70 rounds through it. No problems. Took it in, cleaned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kimber 3" feed problems

Kimber 3" feed problems

Took my Ultra Carry II out today to continue the break-in process. Put something over 70 rounds through it. No problems.

Took it in, cleaned it. Now it won't feed hollow points through any magazine. Not real happy with ball either. Rounds jam right into the feed ramp. It's like the magazines have no slant to them to point the round up slightly. I feel like there is play in the way one of the mag seats, but even trying to help it seat while charging, no go. W other mags seem to seat better.

Took it apart several times, verified everything clean and oiled down, but oil wiped off.

Same ammo works in 2 other 1911s. P14 and Warthog.

The only thing different in cleaning today, was I tried some Militec-1. Not sure how that could affect this.

Help?
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Lead Moderator
    Try some of the other lube and see if it works better?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Did you also tear down and clean the mags? If so check for spring directionality . If not check the feedramp of the frame and see if possibly a steel mag follower was contacting and raised a bur on it , this is not uncommon on kimbers with some brands of mags .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Did you also tear down and clean the mags? If so check for spring directionality . If not check the feedramp of the frame and see if possibly a steel mag follower was contacting and raised a bur on it , this is not uncommon on kimbers with some brands of mags .
    Didn't tear down the mags. 1 is a Kimber factory with Tripp research follower. The other 2 are Wilson combat mags. I have a hard time believing all 3 started doing this at the same time.

I haven't re-cleaned and tried different lube yet. I can't seem to get my head around how that would cause this.

I'll check the feedramp on the frame closer. Didn't see anything when I first looked. It is the barrel feedramp that it appears to be jamming on.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."

Sound's like to me that you are gonna need a realiability tune. A fluff and buff may do it but if you haven't done it before it might well be left to a good gun smith.

But first, go ahead and clean it again real good even soaking the parts in good cleaner and then clean the rest with CLP or something like that. Use a good scrub brush and clean the parts real well and clean the feed ramp as well, then lube it up like there in no tomorrow. Well that might be a little excessive but you need to over lube it for break in. Millitec-1 is fine, If a little oil has blown back on your glasses when you fire you are doing it right, after 50 rounds oil it again. Also try putting some lube on the feed ramp to help that round in as you break it in.

The thing is also, the Tripp mag springs are super tight and strong, you might try leaving a round out too, so if it hold's 7 rounds load 6 for the break in.

Is this jamming up on every round or is it selective and happens every 3rd or 4th round? Kimbers are tight with tight tolerances especially the 3" model's and require a good break in sometimes, some more than other's.

I would try and get at least 300 rounds through her before taking it to the smith. Keep a good record of what it is doing so you can tell him the deal and I think $75.00 will get ya a very nice tune up and possibly the trigger cleaned up a little if all else fail's.

I would not send it back to Kimber unless your smith check's it out first and tell's you something is out of spec with it. Don't waste the $50.00 unless he say's to send it back.

My Ultra CDP was kinda like your's when new it sound's but with 1 maybe 2 rounds per mag doing what your's is doing, my smith tuned her up and it has been perfect since no matter what magazine or brand of ammo i us, it doesn't care.

Keep us posted as to what is happening with it and if you need a smith out in KC i can get you in touch with a good one. I will have to dig for his info though.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; January 8th, 2007 at 12:21 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I Had A Few 'Hiccups'...

within the first 200 rounds...came home and gave it a super cleaning...500 more rounds (Kimber Ultra CDP II)...super clean performance...
    No problems now...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've heard that 3" models can be problematic at first, but I've never had a problem with my Para. I must have got lucky.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Before doing any work on the pistol, be sure it is well broken in. Mine did the exact same thing 'til it was well broken in. The Kimber Operators manual says it takes 500 rounds, mine took 800 rounds and I have seen comments on forums that said theirs took well in excess of 500 rds.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Mine's a shooter, had problems with certain ammos, right now I just use Independence and American Eagle. Flawless. FMJ.

I use Wilson's officers mags for my Springfield Mico Compact and it cleared it up real quick. Steve48

Follow up:

For those who might have a similar interest in 3" 1911s, I tried Federal's EFMJ round. So far, it feeds flawlessly. That and the FMJ I had been shooting has all been feeding perfectly.

EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) is billed as similar to a hollow point in terms of expansion.

As I continue to shoot and break this pistol in, I'll keep trying hollow points, and see if that gets better.

I have a 3 inch Springfield Micro Compact Bi-tone and have no FTF or FTE. I usually lube the feed ramp before shooting. Steve48

Senior Moderator
    As much as you may cringe to hear this you may need new mags.

When I got my Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry I was very upset with how many problems I had with it to including feeding and slide problems (the slide falling when the last round was fired or the slide stop engaging before the last round was fired). It came with 10 magazines and with every single one of them I experienced problems.

I was already insisting on selling or trading it and getting a gun that worked when my husband asked me to consider new mags.

We got some custom mags and all of my problems went away. I was very impressed and re-fell in love with my Kimber.

Kimber does make a good gun but their factory mags can be GARBAGE!!

Before you start with drastic measures and alterations, try a new mag.

http://www.trippresearch.com/

Here's the link to the mags that I now carry and use if you want to check them out. I know you said your factory mags have tripp research followers in them, but I've heard rumor that Kimbers can be pretty particular about the mags that get stuck in them. It may be worth it to see if a completely new mag helps.

Hollowpoints can still give me some trouble, but looking at my feed ramp I have an interesting little "defect" on it and I'm thinking I might need to get it worked on. Pow'rBalls have fed just fine as they have a smooth tip like FMJs do.

I hope you figure it out!
    Last edited by limatunes; March 28th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.

I just bought a Kimber Tactical Ultra II used. It had about 1000 rounds through it and I have put another 150 through it already. I have both Kimber and Wilson mags. So far I haven't had any problems with Corbon DPX or Federal Hydra shoks or hardball. Great gun!!

I bought some Wilson Mags, and they have the same problems with hollow points. Flawless with the FMJ ball, and now these EFMJ Federals.

I haven't tried the Tripp Research, but maybe I'll buy one and see how it does with hollow points.

I do keep hearing that 3" barrelled 1911's seem to take a while to break in for hollow points.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links