I guess I'm going to have to find a new theater

This is a discussion on I guess I'm going to have to find a new theater within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't normally go to the theater anymore. Not like I use to. I took my son to see the new X Men movie this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: I guess I'm going to have to find a new theater

I don't normally go to the theater anymore. Not like I use to. I took my son to see the new X Men movie this afternoon. On the way out I noticed their no guns allowed sign posted on the outside of the exit door. A strange place to post a sign as you would never see it when entering the facility. The sign also said they reserve the right to search all purses and back packs.
    gatorbait51 and Guns247 like this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Maybe the sign is posted on the way out because they don't want CCW permit holders to leave.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I've been to a few theaters in Colorado where they searched my wife's purse but didn't say a word to me or search me! Security theater at its best...or worst! I wouldn't worry about that sign, wherever it's placed. You have to decide whether to patronize the theater or not. But if you decide to go elsewhere, speak to the manager first so they know WHY you're leaving.

Per http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf:

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law? “NO”

“Handgunlaw.us highly recommends that you not enter a place that is posted "No Firearms" no matter what
    the state laws read/mean on signage. We recommend you print out the No Guns = No Money Cards and
    give one to the owner of the establishment that has the signage." As responsible gun owners and upholders of
    the 2nd Amendment we should also honor the rights of property owners to control their own property even if
    we disagree with them.”

“No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
    mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry.
    If you are in a place not
    specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to
    leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are asked
    to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have
    been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you
    are within the law.
    WannabeaCPA likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Do signs carry FOL in Fla? (don't recall) - and do they if so posted? I'm guessing probably not - unless you missed one posted at the entrance . Edit just seen the post that was made at the same time I was posting LOL

Ain't no one searching My Purse - I can promise you that !

Ghost1958 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    The sign also said they reserve the right to search all purses and back packs.
    They want to protect their food concession business, mostly.

It's not as though searches of a purse are going to unearth what's on a person. And it's not as though violent felons are going to allow their weapons to be found or taken, if there's even any time to object.

Ah, yes. Theaters. Enclosed spaces, few options for easy defense, nowhere to go (quickly), limited entries/exits, the "back way" being a reasonably quick escape. Wonderful places of opportunity, for the violent.
    Aceoky, msgt/ret, BamaT and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Do signs carry FOL in Fla? (don't recall) - and do they if so posted? I'm guessing probably not - unless you missed one posted at the entrance . Edit just seen the post that was made at the same time I was posting LOL

Ain't no one searching My Purse - I can promise you that !

They do not.
    Ghost1958, Aceoky and Gun_guy like this.

They can reserve whatever right to search they dont have in the first place all they want. They want me searched they can call an LEO and try to give him a reason that legally lets him search me. Like they saw me steal something.

Sorry but just because Im in a theater or a wal mart that does NOT give a business search and seizure powers that even LEO do not have without a legal reason. Aint happeiin.

IF you cc and the sign has no force of law guess its up to you what you do about carrying there.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I wonder what theater (chain) this is as I haven't seen any such signage at the theater I go to.

As to this:
    “No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically
    mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry.

If you're in a legally "no CC" place, you're already violated the law--signage or not.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you rarely attend theaters or just haven't been in a while, make sure that you have a good holster. I am always conscious of sharp seat angle and large gaps between parts that can snag the pistol grip. Just a thought.

On another point, I have a BIL who is in the drapery business and he also does awnings on the side. One time, he put in a bid to replace the drapes for a local theater. The owner told him that his price was too high. BIL responded by asking if the owner had visited his concession stand lately. LOL! The owner explained that prices had to be high because that was where he made his money. He said that when a movie comes out, the first week he receives 5 cents on every admission ticket dollar. The second week he receives a dime, the third week he gets 15 cents and so on. He'd be happier if people waited a week or two before seeing a movie. Just thought I'd pass that along.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    I've been to a few theaters in Colorado where they searched my wife's purse but didn't say a word to me or search me!
    I am curious- Which ones? I don't think I have ever seen that at the one's we patronize, including the megaplex on the 16th Street Mall in Downtown Denver.

Regardless, looking for weapons is the least of their concerns. As others have posted, they want to keep you from bringing-in outside food.

Luckily (for now), the signs in CO are meaningless, and just indicate that "concealed means concealed".

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wonder what theater (chain) this is as I haven't seen any such signage at the theater I go to.
    This was a Carmike Cinemas theater.

Interesting, they have this chain in Kansas as well. Could be fun with the new laws on Jul 1.

VIP Member
    ‘splains it all Carmike Cinemas are well known for their anti-self defense stance.

carmick theaters anti-gun - Bing
    Aceoky likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    ‘splains it all Carmike Cinemas are well known for their anti-self defense stance.

carmick theaters anti-gun - Bing
    Ah, I did not know this. I guess from now on I'll wait for the movie to make it to rental.
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.

Ah, I did not know this. I guess from now on I'll wait for the movie to make it to rental.
    Been doing this for years. Cures a couple of problems, that way.

Of course, now and then, I'll go hunting down that one special "oldie" that's showing at the "old school" theater in town. Rare. Much prefer avoiding all the lunacy of a theater experience, these days.
    Aceoky and Hoganbeg like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links