Bad guy comes in what long gun you reaching for ?

This is a discussion on Bad guy comes in what long gun you reaching for ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So bad guy comes in .. What gun you going for ? not counting handguns of course ... I am guessing most will say shotgun ...

View Poll Results: HD long gun you reach for

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shotgun

78 51.66%
  • AR

48 31.79%
  • Pistol caliber carbine

8 5.30%
  • other

19 12.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Bad guy comes in what long gun you reaching for ?

So bad guy comes in .. What gun you going for ? not counting handguns of course ...

I am guessing most will say shotgun ... But I will be different and add that I might also go for a m-1 carbine or a true uzi ( IMI or vector at least) .. Both to me easy to handle CQB guns and even in non nfa form pretty handy and easy to bring into action .... Plus the uzi make a great club if all else fails ... Plus both pistol rounds so wont sound like the charge of the light brigade going off indoors

I really think I would go for a uzi come to think off it .. 32 round mags handy and can fire from the hip stock folded if last ditch needed ... Plus makes such a sinster sound would you cock it ( might not scared them off but will give them time to think on the bad things they have done ...)
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    A handgun is the only thing I keep within reach at all times, so it is what I will going with.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Shotgun a great answer to a serious problem!

For my current situation shotgun wins, but in other situations such as living in a more rural area an m1 carbine or sks would be an option as well.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

My double barrel 12GA is only a few feet away, but I really prefer my Glock-21 for my uninvited guest welcoming committee meetings.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mossberg 500 18.5" Barrel
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

I said shotgun in the poll it resides next to the bedstand however there is a Sig P-220 with CT laser grips on the bedstand.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I voted for the shotgun in this poll. My 500 has 6 ready rounds on the side saddle on the receiver. Two slug, 2 00 buck and 2 #4 buck. I'm sure slugs would work but I'm no expert.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I would probably grab my 12 ga first.It's just according.

As I though shotguns and handguns ... Still wating for a AK to pop up

Guess I should go pattern my new boom stick and see if it shall go next to the bed soon. Something about 7 rounds of buck does sound like good company for bad people ... Though 35 rounds of 9mm HP could be a great welcome too .. Humm
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

It would depend on where I was! There are rifles in both barn and garage in varmint calibers. But in the house it would be most likely a shotgun. DR

Double barrel coach gun, just like the VP said we should.

Racking the slide of a pump is nice! But nothing commands attention like looking down those twin 12 ga barrels.

Same ol', same ol' here, remaining unchanged for years. Neither are as common as those choices suggested in the poll except for "other" and one is downright weird.

Available to either of us but primarily for Mrs. BMc's use is an M1 Carbine. It's difficult to imagine a better inside-the-house rifle, very dependable in function, compact and well-balanced, and a natural pointer if there ever was one. The .30 Carbine cartridge is punchy too, especially with jacketed soft-nosed ammunition.

It's obsolete as is its cartridge but I love the almost unique ballistics of the cartridge and appreciate the simple and reliable design of its semi-automatic action. If anyone has ever picked one of these up and examined it then he'd know that the thing is really heavy despite its compact size; all massive forged steel and walnut. It'd double as a really effective club.
    Winchester Model 1907 chambered for the .351 W.S.L. and employing an original 10-shot "police" magazine.

The shorty shotguns have long been put away and the AR 15 was never a serious home defense contender. I do like rifles though.
    ChrisATX, Aceoky, tdave and 11 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Good lordy that carbine is gorgeous bmcilvray!!
    Aceoky, TomEgun and grouse like this.
    Home cooked always tastes better.

Beauty and perfection

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Same ol', same ol' here, remaining unchanged for years. Neither are as common as those choices suggested in the poll except for "other" and one is downright weird.

Available to either of us but primarily for Mrs. BMc's use is an M1 Carbine. It's difficult to imagine a better inside-the-house rifle, very dependable in function, compact and well-balanced, and a natural pointer if there ever was one. The .30 Carbine cartridge is punchy too, especially with jacketed soft-nosed ammunition.

It's obsolete as is its cartridge but I love the almost unique ballistics of the cartridge and appreciate the simple and reliable design of its semi-automatic action. If anyone has ever picked one of these up and examined it then he'd know that the thing is really heavy despite its compact size; all massive forged steel and walnut. It'd double as a really effective club.
    Winchester Model 1907 chambered for the .351 W.S.L. and employing an original 10-shot "police" magazine.

The shorty shotguns have long been put away and the AR 15 was never a serious home defense contender. I do like rifles though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links