Hand loading a magazine, how long until it is easier?

This is a discussion on Hand loading a magazine, how long until it is easier? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have read that magazines get easier to load after the spring relaxes a bit. I don't know how to quantify "a bit" but is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hand loading a magazine, how long until it is easier?

Distinguished Member

I have read that magazines get easier to load after the spring relaxes a bit.
    I don't know how to quantify "a bit" but is a dozen load and unloads enough to relax the spring so I can load the magazine by hand? four dozen?
    At this point, I can load the first seven or so before I have to revert to my speed loader.
    Typically I would refer to my hand strength as normal to above normal, but now I am feeling like a big wimp.

Does make and capacity make a difference? If it does, I am trying to load 9mm into a 15 round Beretta double stack magazine.
    Nehemiah 4:14: Dont be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Everything gets easier with repetition. Your fingers will toughen up. Just shoot more and get accustomed to it.

My daughter empties mags by hand and then reloads them just for the practice. She has been doing this since she began shooting about 20 yrs ago
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Yea, they definitely get easier to load the more they're used.

VIP Member
    Maglula UpLULA Pistol Mag Loader Unloader Polymer
    these may help if you like this sort of thing. The rifle ones are great!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Yes, it gets easier.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    This is what I use. I have arthritis and I find that it is much easier, besides I can't seem to keep the rounds from slipping off each other while hand loading.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isnt an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Load the mag to its capacity and let it sit that way for a few days. My G30 was nearly impossible to get the 10th round in until I did that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I suggest that your have your hired domestic help perform this pedestrian task. This is one situation in which the gender-specific "man servant" comes in handy.

Best,
    PEF
    LuvMyPX4 and OldVet like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    The OP says he has a speed loader, I assume it's similar to this.

I actually just got my UpLula mag loaders for pistols & .223 last night and love them already. I can load mags by hand, but these make it so much easier it's ridiculous IMO not to use them.
    Pinot likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I suggest that your have your hired domestic help perform this pedestrian task. This is one situation in which the gender-specific "man servant" comes in handy.
    I would like to, but they keep putting the rounds in backwards to see if I will shoot myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm66 View Post
    I can load mags by hand, but these make it so much easier it's ridiculous IMO not to use them.
    Yes, it is a lot faster with the loader (mine is a cheapo that came with an awesome gun), but I always thought I should be able to load the full mag.

I guess I must be on the wimpish side, but, I will keep working at it to make it easier.
    It would help if I roughened up the shells a bit so that they don't slide off each other as I am loading them. That is the biggest problem. I can push them down OK, but they just keep sliding. Will sanding or grinding the sides a bit affect loading and shooting you think?
    Nehemiah 4:14: Dont be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    ... Will sanding or grinding the sides a bit affect loading and shooting you think?
    Let me see if I've got this right .... You want to take a grinder to live ammunition to rough up the outside ot the cartridges? And then, you want to put those cartridges into your magazine and expect them to cycle through your gun?

Please forgive my rudeness, but, ... have you lost your mind?

The whole reason the cartridges are made the way they are, is so they will slide over each other and slide into, and out of, the chamber in your gun. Why would you want to defeat years of engineering experience?

Just about the only thing you will accomplish is that your magazine will not feed and your gun will be unable to extract the spent cartridge from the chamber. This is not to mention the danger of reducing the thickness of the cartridges by grinding on the outside of the cartridge, thereby making it mor susceptible to case failure.
    JoePfeiffer and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

It seems like the spring varies a lot from pistol to pistol. My Sig P226 is a piece of cake. The last round in my Nano is a bit tough. My CZ-82 or my wife's XD(M) -- forget it.

sent using CPIP (see RFC 1149)
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.

Another issue involves M&P 9mm's
    The mag spring for 10/12/15/17 round mags is the same.
    Made my 12's almost impossible to load the last round even with a loader.
    My solution was to cut off 2 spring loops.
    I did one loop/tested function (live ammo) several mag loads, then did the second loop and tested.
    Then did all my mags and many rounds have gone thru them /no problem.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Your mag springs will relax with time. Just keep using them.

It likely has something to do with friction.
    To make your magazines load better and even more importantly unload better here are a few tips.
    1. Keep them clean.
    2. For cleaning take them apart and before reassembly, put a coat or two of Boshield T9 on the inside and on the follower while following directions on the can.
    3. Keep them clean on the inside and outside.

While you have them apart verify that there are no sharp edges or corners on the follower where it rubs the inside of the magazine. If there are use a stone, file or fine grit emery cloth to gently round these edges without altering the size or shape of the follower.

The T9 will protect them and make the follower slide more easily in both directions without putting any kind of lube on the rounds. I do this with all new magazines before using them too, then re-clean and coat after a few hundred rounds.
    LuvMyPX4 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links