Slam Fire In Rim Fire Pistols

This is a discussion on Slam Fire In Rim Fire Pistols within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently bought a .22 conversion kit for my pf9 and it just came in the mail today so I have not fired it yet. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 1 Post By Oldpsufan
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Slam Fire In Rim Fire Pistols

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar

I recently bought a .22 conversion kit for my pf9 and it just came in the mail today so I have not fired it yet. They mention slam fire and list a precaution that states:

Be aware that .22LR ammunition is prone to possible slam fire (unintentional fire on forward slide movement) due to differences in brand. Always point the barrel toward the target and let the slide forward gently to reduce the possibility of slam fire occurrences.

I can see how this could possibly occur, but it also seems that it is a normal function of the battery to have it slam forward to a firing position. So what's to stop it from slam firing during normal cycling? Or is this just a CYA from the manufacturer ? I only have experienced rifle and revolvers in .22 caliber so I am not familiar with semi-auto in that caliber.

Thought's ??
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The only way that I could see a slamfire, was if the hammer was not being held back by the sear. And then, maybe....
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

No such warning with my SR22. Probably a CYA deal. Is it a factory kit or aftermarket?

Edit: Shouldn't the warning be...

Due to variations in ammo production, this could instantly go full auto. Hold on tight!

I had my Buckmark go full auto due being extremely dirty. My nephew was shooting it at the time and wanted to hand it back to me while it was still emptying the mag. I was glad it wasn't hi-cap.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Think I will stop cleaning my Buckmark. Never had it happen in pistol (2) or rifle (4) and we shoot a lot of 22lr on the farm.

I've seen a couple of .22 rifles slam fire. There are probably many ways it can happen, but one way is if the the gun is so dirty that a sub-minimum headspace condition arises.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Me I be very very leary of a gun that is watned could slame fire esp guns that are easy to convet to full auto.. Way too much attation if oyu know what I mean

Anyhow my guess a issue with the firing pin and disc/springs be over powerder by hot hot rounds and not locking after firing .. Course this can lead to a out of battery issue
    StormRhydr likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Thanks, guess I'll just make sure it's done shooting when I am.
    redmc likes this.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my Glock has never done it, but in truth, it needs to be cleaned after @100 rounds or it starts misfeeding.
    Oldpsufan likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    No such warning with my SR22. Probably a CYA deal. Is it a factory kit or aftermarket?

Edit: Shouldn't the warning be...

Due to variations in ammo production, this could instantly go full auto. Hold on tight!
    After market..... Twisted Industries.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Anytime you cycle "ANY" auto loader there is a possibility of a slam fire, it is a small possibility but it is always there.

Links