USPSA ammo

This is a discussion on USPSA ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do they use a light load during these events or is the recoil on the guns that good. What caliber do the "pros" shoot? Is ...

Thread: USPSA ammo

USPSA ammo

Do they use a light load during these events or is the recoil on the guns that good. What caliber do the "pros" shoot? Is it 9mm or .45? I ask because every match quality 1911 I look at is .45.

Thanks
    Zackeal

2. Remove Ads

Depends. You have what is called the "power factor" that, depending on what classification you wish to shoot in, will determine how much recoil you'll feel. There is no absolute "super light mouse fart load" used in IPSC, and there is what you can consider the "minimum" recoil. Power factor can be measured by the speed of the bullet, times the velocity. the minimum power factor is 125. The minimum to make "major" is 165. The 1911 platform is probably one of the more popular guns to shoot, mainly due to the single action trigger and the extent you can modify them. What you are probably seeing isn't the 1911 per' sae. It's probably the 2011, which is a double stacked 1911. When you are dealing with double stacked, high capped guns, you are usually talking about guns that are capable of carrying up to 28 rounds. Many shooters opt for for 9mm (the standard diameter) for minor, and 40cal (10 mm) for major. Both of which are the miminum bullet daimeters for their respected classifications. I've shot revolver for 3 years, and this summer I am switching to Open. Getting back to your origional question, the more popular calibers are usually 9mm Major, 38 Super, 9 X 23, 40 S&W, and 40 Major. I'm probably missing a few, but that's all i can think of right now.

Links