What's Better Than Buying A Snubbie?

This is a discussion on What's Better Than Buying A Snubbie? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Getting one for free, that's what. Sadly my Son In Law's Uncle died earlier this week. He was an older guy and lived a long ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By Hatrix

Thread: What's Better Than Buying A Snubbie?

Getting one for free, that's what.

Sadly my Son In Law's Uncle died earlier this week. He was an older guy and lived a long healthy life and went peacefully in the night of natural causes. His family was going through his things yesterday and gave me a call asking me to come over because they found a few guns that he owned and didn't know if they were loaded, or how to even check if they were. There was an older Remington 870 20ga in very good condition, an old Ruger 10/22 International that was in decent condition with the European style stock that extended the entire length of the rifle, and an old Charter Arms Undercover .38 that was in fair condition. The .38 was indeed loaded up with some old Hornady hallow points.

They wanted to know if the guns were worth anything. So I gave them an inspection. Told them the shotty probably was, as well as the Ruger strictly due to it's age and the stock. The snubby probably not so much as they go for around $300 new. So we took the guns to the gun shop I go to frequently to find out if they could get anything for the weapons. They ended up taking the long guns off their hands at a fair price but had zero interest in the revolver. Sure enough they had a few new ones in stainless under the glass for $315.

Walked out of the gun shop with the Son In Law and his Mother, said goodbye and off I went. Later in the evening he came over and handed me the snubbie and said they have no interest in keeping it, and his Mother said I could have it if I wanted it as a "Thank You" for helping them out with the other guns.

20140529_224811[1].jpg

It's a bit beat up, the bottom of the grip is scuffed up a bit, and the ejector rod is bent slightly at the knurled end leading me to believe it was dropped at least once. But the rod still functions properly, the cylinder indexes perfectly, and the bore is clean. Trigger is BLEH in double action, OK in single. Finish is in good condition except for a scratch exposing some metal on it's right side. That can be fixed with some bluing fairly easy.

Definitely not going to be carrying it anytime soon, or possibly ever for that matter. It will make a nice range toy to play with and a fall back night stand piece. But can't be beat for a free gun.

Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

Absolutely, my nephew has his pistol permit, he will be inheriting all of my weapons when I kick the bucket...he has no revolvers....he will be getting some expensive classics when I am gone. I hope he treats them with the respect they deserve.
    Doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win.

Sponsored Links