Filling Hollowpoints...

This is a discussion on Filling Hollowpoints... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure if this was discussed on this forum. I have read on other websites and forums that some people have tried to fill ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filling Hollowpoints...

Filling Hollowpoints...

I'm not sure if this was discussed on this forum.

I have read on other websites and forums that some people have tried to fill the tip of a hollowpoint bullet with candle wax. I am curious as to the outcome of this practice.

P.S.: I have also read that (in a movie) someone had put liquid mercury in a hollowpoint then sealed it in with wax. I would never try it, but is it possible?
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I can see both the plaintiff's attorney and the prosecutor having a field day with anyone that has these in their possession at the time of a defensive shooting.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

the filling ti with mercury was in jaws and something else

In jaws it was not mercury though, i just watched that the other day and it was Something else.
    I think Cyanide
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Why Fill?

The name escapes me right now...but you can purchase hollow points with a plastic filling...may assist with better feed...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The name escapes me right now...but you can purchase hollow points with a plastic filling...may assist with better feed...

ret
    Or... you can just get a pistol that will always feed reliably.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Feed reliability is one aspect....Cor-Bon "Pow-R-Ball" have a polymer ball on the hollow cavity to keep from plugging the hollow point with heavy clothing and they claim it assists expansion.

I am carrying them in my Para-Ordnance P-14 .45 now, the below site talks about the feed aspect; many reports I read leading up to my adopting them dealt with the “plugging aspect with heavy winter clothing.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/corbon_1209/

The movie with the mercury bullets was "Day of the Jackal' the assassin was using mercury filled .22 bullets for "explosive expansion" to kill DeGaule

In my youth I did play with filling .44 mag hollow points with glycerin and then soldering closed, in warmed duct seal they were impressive. Also drilled and filled British .303 with candle wax and taped a steel ball bearing in the nose, maintained decent accuracy and blew groundhogs in half.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    In my youth I did play with filling .44 mag hollow points with glycerin and then soldering closed, in warmed duct seal they were impressive.

These didn't explode on firing?

Well if you plan to shoot a vampire , fill it with garlic.

Administrator
    There is a legit reason to "fill" your hollow points, but its a old pro's secret. No, its not to make the bullet any more deadly or anything else Hollywood like.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There is a legit reason to "fill" your hollow points, but its a old pro's secret. No, its not to make the bullet any more deadly or anything else Hollywood like.
    ok Mr. Cloak and Dagger. wanna help fill in some of the blanks? What's the pro's secret?...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hmmmm.... Feeding? Accuracy? Feeding is pretty much a moot point, with modern HGs, certainly not something you would compromise your HPs expansion for, as it is easily corrected by different ammo or a decent action job. If you need greater accuracy, you aren't shooting in a situation that requires an HP loading. Can't think of any "pros" tinkering with HPs, unless they were trying to induce peritonitis or cyanide poisoning if the target got away.

Yes, you can put mercury or pistol primers in a HP. Yes, they do "change things". If you shoot someone, they will try you for pre-meditated murder; "shooting-with-intent-to maim", at the very least.

Administrator
    LOL! I knew it would provoke some thought! It does not affect the performance in anyway, the manufactures do a better job at that.

However, it wouldnt work to well if its common knowledge. So, I'll remain Mr. Cloak and Dagger. If you figure it out, PM me and I'll let you know.

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, the manufacturers went through all kinds of research and development to maximize efficiency of their ammo. The goals were to maximize expansion and penetration in human flesh. The result of all the research and development led them ALL to essentially the same design - hollow point bullets.

One of the few variations of this is Corbon's PowerBall and it is far more than filling the cavity with something. I kinda doubt filling the cavity with wax, silicon rubber, et. al. is going to produce an improvement in bullet performance.

Assistant Administrator
    Remember - mercury in an HP with exposed lead will form an amalgam (per dental fillings).

Don't think it was mentioned yet, other than in another thread covering similar ground a ways back.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links