.22 LR on SALE!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on .22 LR on SALE!!!!!!!!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; J&G sales has 2000 rounds of .22 lr S&B ammo in a 50 can for $199. Cheapest I have seen it in ages....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: .22 LR on SALE!!!!!!!!!!!

Ex Member

.22 LR on SALE!!!!!!!!!!!

J&G sales has 2000 rounds of .22 lr S&B ammo in a 50 can for $199. Cheapest I have seen it in ages.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Just ordered. Thanks!

That's on sale?!!!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I remember those boxes of 525 .22 lr for about $22.00.

I mean, I'd like to buy some more .22lr but at those prices?? Yipes!
    Bigsteve113 and RichardA76 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Most of it will probably be okay, but when you read the small print it's surplus ammo from the 1980s. I'll pass, you can have my share.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    $0.10 per round, plus you pay shipping? I'll sell every .22 round I can dig up for that price. How much can you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    J&G sales has 2000 rounds of .22 lr S&B ammo in a 50 can for $199. Cheapest I have seen it in ages.
    Bought 2200 rds of Federal in a 50 can for $99 at Cabelas. I'll leave it for you guys.
    Nmuskier likes this.

Man. It's going to be really nice when I can actually take my .22 out again and just blast to my heart's content. These days....
    Aceoky likes this.

Last 500-round brick of .22LRs that I bought was around $7-8. My .22s can just collect dust at that current ridiculously inflated price.
    When you fill out your income tax forms at the end of the year, look and see how much money you have given the government throughout the year. Then, take a moment to ponder -- has the government done $X worth of stuff FOR you or TO you this year? I tend to believe the latter...

Uh you know it states that the whole box could be bad right?? It states bad primers and dud rounds are to be expect ...Plus if you read the AZ foroum people are not ext fans of them ( ie they photocopy your ID for ammo sales in store even though that is not legally needed )
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I imagine that the ammo will be fine, I am still shooting stuff of all calibers from the 60's.
    if you see some of the runs of 22lr coming off the shelf this past year, you would think the quality control crew would consist of Helen Keller & Stevie Wonder. I have bought bricks from the major manufacturers that had bullets loose in the bottom, never mind the poorly crimped ones. I actually looked at some of my older 22 or and you can tell a big difference.

That being said, for those of you who need it.... Get it. You never know when it's going to be your last chance.
    For those of us who have some stocked, that's kind of a high price. Supply & Demand will always dictate prices.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    I imagine that the ammo will be fine, I am still shooting stuff of all calibers from the 60's.
    if you see some of the runs of 22lr coming off the shelf this past year, you would think the quality control crew would consist of Helen Keller & Stevie Wonder. I have bought bricks from the major manufacturers that had bullets loose in the bottom, never mind the poorly crimped ones. I actually looked at some of my older 22 or and you can tell a big difference.

That being said, for those of you who need it.... Get it. You never know when it's going to be your last chance.
    For those of us who have some stocked, that's kind of a high price. Supply & Demand will always dictate prices.
    "his is new old stock ammunition (mostly 1980's production) and as with all older ammunition some duds and/or misfires can be expected, and the ammo may no longer perform to original specifications, including velocity, ignition, feeding, and extraction"

IE if you get a box o dud we told you so ... Worry here is s&b made mil issue ammo .. So if this like the last batch I saw that was mil issue .. The worry is how was it stored etc ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Yeeouch!

30-year-old surplus .22's at $50 a brick PLUS shipping???

I believe I'll let them keep their ammo, and I'll keep my money.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post

Amen to that. I Still have boxes of .357 JHP's marked $5.95, so I have NO idea how many decades old they are. Also S&B is one of the oldest ammo manufactures in Europe. The warning is just to CYA.

Sometimes, you guys really confuse me.

"I remember paying $2.50 for a brick of 500."

Well I don't think those good ol' days are going to come back anytime soon. You laid out big dollar for your firearms, and, if you don't have ammo for them, then you have attractive doorstops.

So the real question is how much ammo should you have for each gun you own? I've seen different numbers tossed about. Some say 100, or 1,000, or 10,000. Whatever, you want enough for training and a TEOTWAWKI situation.

Once you have that on hand, then you can be picky about prices. For .22LR, the going rate appears to be between .08 and .20 per round. Got a box of .38spl today at .38 per. If you shoot one box, buy two. That's the rule and you continue this way until you have the supply you need. Then you can reminisce about those happy days of yore when ammo was plentiful and cheap.
    scottync, hogdaddy and Stoveman like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links