Mythbusters....Sniper vs sniper - Page 2

Mythbusters....Sniper vs sniper

This is a discussion on Mythbusters....Sniper vs sniper within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They proved that they couldn't do it, not that it can't be done. IIRC, they also proved that they couldn't make a crossbow out of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mythbusters....Sniper vs sniper

They proved that they couldn't do it, not that it can't be done.

IIRC, they also proved that they couldn't make a crossbow out of materials available to prisoners, but it has been done by convicts several times. Another show on the Discovery Channel showed a demonstration of one in a prison.

I'll take GySgt Hathcock's word over these two.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Well if they had used an old russian scope or chinese of that era they probably would have had a different result. The optics back then used a lower grade of glass, most now either use a form of plastic or hardened glass to avoid the lense from breaking if slammed against something.
    They were using late model scopes (variable power) which have 8-10 lenses. The scopes also were large objective diameter, which means the lenses are thicker in the middle than older model scopes with smaller diameter lenses & less number of lenses.

After one of the shots the did, when the scope was shown the bullet had gone thru ALL but the last lens.

It just goes to show....you can't believe everything you see on TV, especially when it involves guns & comes from California.

Don't get me wrong....I enjoy their show, but just like NBCs Dateline I trust it about as far as can throw it.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilmutt View Post
    I'll take GySgt Hathcock's word over these two.
    This guy even put a Weaver scope on a M2 .50BMG & used it for LLLLLOOONNNGGG range shooting during Vietnam.

He eventually was seriously burned when he saved a bunch of Marines who were in a burning APC.

Good man, I met him once back in the early 90s.

His story is one well worth knowing.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I met GySgt. Hathcock, too - but it was White Feather's son, who was a marksmanship instructor on Okinawa at the time. Very interesting lineage, indeed. I'm inclined to take the good gunny's word on it, but then again, I'm just a wee bit biased.

Administrator
    Mythbusters is a great show, but it sometimes is a little to much "made for tv".

I'll take the GySgt. word anyday. After all, this man had to need to boast, brag or lie.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Just because you can't duplicate a one in several million event does not mean it didn't happen. I saw a video of a kid in high school throwing a basketball down the full court and making the basket at the buzzer. Bet they couldn't duplicate that either.

Plus these bozos rarely get things completely right. In this case, too close, not using the right bullet, not using the right scopes (in addition to the other differences, weren't Combloc scopes of that era also made with steel bodies?), not acknowledging that it was a once in several million event, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links