Made a mistake

Made a mistake

This is a discussion on Made a mistake within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As background, many of you know I have an 8 year old son, Since the time he was 5 or so years old, old enough ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Made a mistake

VIP Member

Made a mistake

As background, many of you know I have an 8 year old son, Since the time he was 5 or so years old, old enough to recognize I was carrying, I have always been very open with him in the hope of dispelling natural curiosity. I told him that if he ever wanted to see my gun, to just ask and we would stop whatever we were doing, I would take him to a safe spot, I would clear the gun carefully, set the mag and all ammunition in a separate room and let him handle it facing a safe backstop like a fireplace after he recited the 4 rules.

Last night I was sitting with him in bed watching TV. He was leaning against me and felt my EDC. He asked to see it. As usual, I carefully unloaded the gun and set the mag and the chambered round aside and let him hold the gun. However, I neglected to turn off the TV or put ammunition in a separate room. As he looked over the gun, his show came back on and he looked at the TV. He was clearly distracted and I immediately recognized that I made 2 mistakes: 1) I didn't eliminate distractions and 2) I didn't take the ammo to a different room. I immediately took the gun away, turned off the TV and talked over the situation with him. At no time was there any real danger, but I got relaxed with my own rules and as a result I let him get to a point I would never allow normally.

I am posting this as a reminder that all of the rules, including your own are critical to avoiding accidents. Multiple layers of rules exist so that if we make a mistake, it is not fatal. Pilots and surgeons have the same approach - they have multiple rules so that if something is missed, it doesn't end in a tragedy. I missed 2 of my 8 rules with my son - eliminating distractions and removing ammunition from the room. The other rules helped prevent something more significant from happening. In consultant speak, I had a safety 'event'.

I learned from this and it will not happen again. I post this in hopes that it might help someone else.

Good rules in place. I really need to think about this situation soon. My boy is going to be 2 this fall and we just had our second child (a girl) two weeks ago.

I like reading about what others are doing with kids in the home. After all, we have these firearms to protect our family!
    RickyD and BenGoodLuck like this.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Never could remember a list of rules myself. I just remember than guns can be dangerous if not handled properly, so I handle them properly.
    denclaste likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Never could remember a list of rules myself. I just remember than guns can be dangerous if not handled properly, so I handle them properly.
    you mean you dont check the chamber by looking down the barrel??? I hear its all the rage with some LGS owners
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    Interesting post about always following the rules! Today I was tempted to break my rules. I did not.

When I got to Habitat for my volunteer shift I told the director about my "new baby girl" G42. She was excited for me and asked if I was carrying it today so she could see it. I admit I had been tempted. HOWEVER -- I just got it yesterday and have not taken it to the range to function test it with the ammo I bought - and to shoot it ENOUGH to make sure I can use it effectively each and every time.

IF I had broken the rule and carried that new baby today it just MIGHT have been the one time that I had to use a gun in self defense.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I don't see the point in putting ammo in a different room. Or turning off the tv. I had the same rule with my daughters, and would allow them to look at or shoot anything I had just by asking.
    I always thought it was a sign their curiosity had been fulfilled when their attention was grabbed by something else.

Staying in the room with them, and putting the ammo in my pocket, I never felt the need to relocate the ammo to a spare room.
    My daughter, now. 17, keeps her 20 gauge and 22 rifle in her room, and is fully competent.
    Aceoky, PAcanis, vice87 and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    you mean you dont check the chamber by looking down the barrel??? I hear its all the rage with some LGS owners
    I check the chamber every single time I handle a gun…. just not by looking down the barrel.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I don't see the point in putting ammo in a different room. Or turning off the tv. I had the same rule with my daughters, and would allow them to look at or shoot anything I had just by asking.
    I always thought it was a sign their curiosity had been fulfilled when their attention was grabbed by something else.

Staying in the room with them, and putting the ammo in my pocket, I never felt the need to relocate the ammo to a spare room.
    My daughter, now. 17, keeps her 20 gauge and 22 rifle in her room, and is fully competent.

^^^I am in this camp here.^^^^^^^^^^^

Pay attention to what THEY are doing while holding the firearm that you made sure is unloaded, and its all good.
    Don't beat yourself up too much.
    I applaud your rules, should you feel they are necessary though.

^^^^^^I do this, but also to be sure its not loaded, I do this as well.

Gun_guy likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Mine are 6 and 8, girls. They have no interest in my pistol. I haven't told them I carry simply because I don't think they can keep it a secret. I do want them comfortable around a gun though at some point. Right now they wouldn't go near it. They're taught in school to not touch it and go tell an adult. We quiz them on that sometimes. I'm not sure when I'll tell them. They've bumped into it a few times and have never asked what it was under my shirt. I'm not sure when I'll tell them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    As background, many of you know I have an 8 year old son, Since the time he was 5 or so years old, old enough to recognize I was carrying, I have always been very open with him in the hope of dispelling natural curiosity. I told him that if he ever wanted to see my gun, to just ask and we would stop whatever we were doing, I would take him to a safe spot, I would clear the gun carefully, set the mag and all ammunition in a separate room and let him handle it facing a safe backstop like a fireplace after he recited the 4 rules.

Last night I was sitting with him in bed watching TV. He was leaning against me and felt my EDC. He asked to see it. As usual, I carefully unloaded the gun and set the mag and the chambered round aside and let him hold the gun. However, I neglected to turn off the TV or put ammunition in a separate room. As he looked over the gun, his show came back on and he looked at the TV. He was clearly distracted and I immediately recognized that I made 2 mistakes: 1) I didn't eliminate distractions and 2) I didn't take the ammo to a different room. I immediately took the gun away, turned off the TV and talked over the situation with him. At no time was there any real danger, but I got relaxed with my own rules and as a result I let him get to a point I would never allow normally.

I am posting this as a reminder that all of the rules, including your own are critical to avoiding accidents. Multiple layers of rules exist so that if we make a mistake, it is not fatal. Pilots and surgeons have the same approach - they have multiple rules so that if something is missed, it doesn't end in a tragedy. I missed 2 of my 8 rules with my son - eliminating distractions and removing ammunition from the room. The other rules helped prevent something more significant from happening. In consultant speak, I had a safety 'event'.

I learned from this and it will not happen again. I post this in hopes that it might help someone else.
    I don't see where you did anything unsafe. Your system has too many unnecessary steps, so you were bound to mess up at some point.
    Oreste and Aceoky like this.
    "There's something in me I can't describe. It's as if I saw a strange darkness before me, into which I must go."
    Viktor Woellert

Keep your own overlapping rules, Just like the rules of gun safety, you would have to break several rules before anyone could get hurt! DR

Distinguished Member
    Turning it around is too much trouble. Just pull the trigger

Ricky, good reminder of how vitally important the safe gun handling guidelines are. Particularly when introducing our young'uns to the shooting sports, to defensive weaponry, to how important remaining safe is when around such things.

Good on ya, for getting back to fundamentals.

Glad to see a parent dispelling the mystery of things, by showing, by explaining, by going hands-on, and by stressing the lessons of such new things. Glad to see a little kid getting raised the right way, around weapons. They're no worse than butter knives or rope, in a very real sense. But they need to be treated with respect for what they are as well as for what they aren't. Seems he's been getting the picture since he was little.
    BenGoodLuck and RickyD like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I was formally trained in process safety - a way of ensuring safety when it is absolutely critical - by a navy pilot turned consultant. Nuclear power plants, pilots, and now healthcare professionals use this method to minimize accidents. Process safety is based on having multiple layers of rules so that you would need to have numerous violations to have an accident. The 4 rules of handling firearms are based on the same priciple.

I created my own rules to ensure my sons safety. I know that they go beyond the primary rules, are redundant and more than needed. But that is the idea, I can mess up and nothing serious can happen. As a parent, that is the choice I made. It may or may not be appropriate for others.

I started the thread to introduce my method of safety in the hopes it might help someone else. We each need to make our own decisions about how we train our kids.

I appreciate the feedback and thoughts. I am sure that that the dialogue may be useful for some parents here.

OP, you are doing great. Your personal safety standards will serve you and your family well.

All too often, we hear of needless accidents, because someone became too comfortable in handling guns.
    RickyD, Hopyard and BenGoodLuck like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links