.260 REM Experience?

This is a discussion on .260 REM Experience? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the process of building up a "youth" rifle for my boy, that he'll continue to use into adulthood. Seriously looking at a REM ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 2 Post By Chuck R.
  • 5 Post By denclaste
  • 1 Post By nedrgr21
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: .260 REM Experience?

.260 REM Experience?

I'm in the process of building up a "youth" rifle for my boy, that he'll continue to use into adulthood. Seriously looking at a REM MOD 7 in .260 Rem. I've got the scope on order (2.5-8x Leupold V3) and I'm on the lookout for the M7. Primary use will be whitetails, I have a couple varmint rigs already.

Going with the M7 for a couple reasons:

1. I have one in .350REM that's been/is a great rifle
    2. With composite stock it weighs in at 6.5lbs with 20" barrel, trying to keep the total weight down (for now)

Zero experience with the .260, but I've done some research. The intent is to load it to .243 level (100 grn bullet) now while he's young, and step it up to close to .270 effectiveness as he grows into it.

I have and do reload for 6.5x57, and I'm a fan of the 6.5 caliber. Anybody have any hands on experience with the .260?

Chuck
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

2. Remove Ads

If it's going to be a rifle that he is going to shoot for years after learnig to shoot on, why not get something that's more easily available and costs pennies on the dollar to shoot, like a standard .223?

Any experience? I've shot one once, lol.
    A friend of a friend has one. It's got the wood stock. The trigger was very heavy so I adjusted it for him. I know he really likes it. It's his PA deer gun and he takes coyotes with it, too.
    Neat little rifle and cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    If it's going to be a rifle that he is going to shoot for years after learnig to shoot on, why not get something that's more easily available and costs pennies on the dollar to shoot, like a standard .223?
    It's primarily going to be his whitetail gun and I'm trying to get him set up for this years youth hunt. Already have two .223s (Tactical bolt & AR), and while I feel the caliber is "OK" for deer under the right circumstances (read "right" to be perfect), I'd prefer a heavier caliber. Looked at .243, but like the ability of the .260 to equal, and depending on loading, better the performance on big game. He's also learning on a couple .22LRs.

Since I reload, the cost difference between the .223 and .260 is mitigated somewhat; primers and bullets are about a wash, basically more powder. I'm currently sitting on a couple 1000 pieces of .308 brass that I can anneal and reform into .260.

Chuck
    atctimmy and bmcgilvray like this.
    homo homini lupus est

Well I've never been hunting, but if you have the brass, load those badboys as .308. I've only shot one bolt .308 (Rem 700) and couldn't believe how soft it shot. I think it kicks less than my AK in 7.62, even though it shoots that powerful .308. I'd think a boy of age to shoot would be able to handle it without much fuss.

Chuck,
    I've got 3 people using the 260 for 1000yrd competitions in our Wed league. Its a wonderfully versatile round. When used with the 140gr bullets its quite capable of cleanly taking a variety of game. Watch the twist rate on factory barrels, some wont handle light bullets well and some wont handle heavy for caliber bullets. R 17, H4350, H4831 have worked well for us. Expect around 1500 rounds and then replace the barrel. All my shooters are using Savage actions because they can buy pre-threaded/chambered barrels from Criterion and install them at home with no problems.

No experience, but if "I knew then, what I know now" .... this would be the path I took. Heard enough stories about the Swede to be convinced about the bullet. Here's a good read 6.5X55 vs the 260 Rem - THR. Other than that, depending on your boy's age/build/ability and the twist of your AR barrel, maybe suggest a 70 gr .223 Barnes Triple Shok - a collapsible stock may fit him a lot better than the one from Rem.
    Chuck R. likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I tried the 260 route in a Rem 700. I never was that impressed. IMHO:The M7 in 7MM-08 would do nicely. There a quite a variety of bullets available in 7MM.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    Well I've never been hunting, but if you have the brass, load those badboys as .308. I've only shot one bolt .308 (Rem 700) and couldn't believe how soft it shot. I think it kicks less than my AK in 7.62, even though it shoots that powerful .308. I'd think a boy of age to shoot would be able to handle it without much fuss.
    Mister, I don't want to be rude but you are way out in left field. The guy asked about a .260 for deer hunting. If you don't know about the .260 and you don't hunt just read and don't post. Nobody wants uneducated opinions about things not related to the specific subject at hand.

@ OP: I think a .260 in the M7 will be just dandy for your son. The .260 is a near ballistic twin of the 6.5X55 and we all know the reputation it has for killing game. You already have the bullets and the brass. Have at it!
    PAcanis, OldVet and Chuck R. like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

ALL,

THANKS!!

That about settles it, now IF I can just find the rifle! Luckily his B-Day is in AUG and the youth season opens up SEP 9th, so time is on my side......maybe.

Chuck
    atctimmy likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

Hi Chuck R.;

I'm keen on the .264 bore. Have only ever had a 6.5X55 but think your .260 Remington would be the "cat's meow" for a versatile rifle that will serve for most purposes to which one could use a rifle. It handily stomps the .223 for big game at longer range. Since you handload economy just really isn't much of an issue.

Let us hear back from you when you start shooting it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Make sure you teach him how to reload for it.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Update!

After searching for a while (apparently the trigger recall had an effect) I just took delivery of my boys new deer rifle (REM M7 .260 REM, Leupold 2.5-8 V3) and I loaded up some reduced loads for him to try out back. Bore sighted with my Leupold magnetic bore sighter, so it took 3 rounds to get it sighted in. He's turning 11 this month and this will be his 1st youth deer season. I've been working him on a .22, then my REM XCR Tactical Compact " .223. With the .260 I used 100 grain Nosler BTs loaded down to be a light .243 (2700FPS). The recoil was manageable as he gets used to it, I'll work him up to 120s.

It's the 2nd M7 I've bought my first being a .350 for elk, so far I've been impressed by the little rifles. The "thrown together" reduced load was getting a little over an inch for 3 rounds (Me). He didn't have an issue with the recoil and did pretty well at 100M, 200M is going to take a little more practice though....

Thumbs up after 1st Shot:

Concentrating:

The M7 is scaled about right for him:

Backyard rifle range 100-300M:

My .223 700 XCR Compact Tactical with 6.5-20X MK4 Leupold:

Thanks to all those that contributed!

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

That will be a perfect rifle for him.

Links