Is the Springfield XD40 Tactical a good gun?

This is a discussion on Is the Springfield XD40 Tactical a good gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have researched Springfield quality in general and from what I can tell, most folks are pleased with their firearms. I recently traded for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Is the Springfield XD40 Tactical a good gun?

Is the Springfield XD40 Tactical a good gun?

I have researched Springfield quality in general and from what I can tell, most folks are pleased with their firearms. I recently traded for a new full size XD40 Tactical version and I am not familiar with this particular gun. Any info about reliability, quality, accuracy, etc would be helpful. I figured all XD's or XDM's would be about the same as far as quality is concerned, but I have no firsthand experience with Springfield handguns.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    I own and XD40 and XD40sc, and have run thousands of rounds through them. Both were bought used, and not sure how much they were shot before I owned them.

No failures of any kind and zero issues with either gun.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Great gun and great customer service never had trouble with either.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Here is a pic of my XDimage.jpg

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    From what i've found both it and the XD-M are bulletproof.

I always clean and lube my stuff after a session but Dad and i have ran through many hundreds of rounds at a time, he's got an XD-M tac model and i don't think i've ever even had a slide fail to lock back, much less any really serious malfunctions. I bet my life on it's reliability almost everyday.

On the other hand, my uncle never cleans anything and has thousands of rounds through his with no problems. I would never advise that, though

But the fact is, as a general user, carrier or even an LEO will have trouble dishing out anywhere near enough abuse to faze the XD.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    My XD-40 4" Service model has got maybe 1500 rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind. 180gr ball, Rangers, HST's, Gold Dots... it eats 'em all.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Mine:

Recently picked up an XD45 Tactical which I believe is essentially the same gun, just chamber in .45 ACP (perhaps a bit larger as well). It's my first XD pistol and I'm very happy with it so far. Seems to be built like a tank. Put 100 rounds of mixed FMJs and JHPs through it a week or so ago and every thing feed fine, no cycling issues whatsoever. Accuracy seemed good. Had a few instances where 5-6 rounds went though (more or less) the same hole. Then again, there were several times where the groupings weren't as impressive, though they weren't bad either. My understanding is the XDMs are supposed to be a touch more accurate due to match grade barrels and better triggers. I've handled a few of them they do seem quite nice.

In any event I'm sold on XDs in general. I'm sure a few more will find their way into my collection in the near future.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Mine:

Very nice gun!!!!

How'd you get the coloring in the letters like that? I have an XD9 and I love it!

I have the xd9 service model and love it. I have had it for about 8 yrs with at least 1000 rds per year down range and it is still going strong. I carried every day until recently. I can count on 1 hand about any bobbles and most of them was ammo related. I would challenge the xd vs any polymer gun on the market today.
    Last edited by txron; June 2nd, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    I acquired a XD Tactical 45 a few months ago. Feeds anything, including a lot of my home cast lead 230 and 200 grainers. Very accurate, dead nuts reliable, easy to see/feel loaded chamber indicator, steel sights dovetailed front and back, easy to see/feel cocked indicator, normal lands and grooves (better for lead, a big plus in my book), and built like a tank !! I am very satisfied and like it as much as my Glocks......sometimes more.20140315_192747.jpg
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    YES!! I never met an XD pistol I didn't love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Like I said this is my first experience with Springfield handguns. So far I have put about 100 rounds through it including some remington golden sabers with no issues. The 5 inch barrel really softens the recoil, so far I really like it.

Personaly I find the XD line a far better firearm than just about anything. My EDC is a XD- SC in 9mm it has thousands of rounds through it and has never had a issue.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links