Store Carry

Store Carry

This is a discussion on Store Carry within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I apologize if this has been discussed. Seems as though some stores just make things up as they go along. I have read multiple threads ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Store Carry

Store Carry

I apologize if this has been discussed.

Seems as though some stores just make things up as they go along. I have read multiple threads about how XYZ establishment asked someone to leave, or to take their firearm to the car or whatever. I agree with stores being able to be aware of the situation and not everyone with a carry permit/license should be able too LOL. However I have also read many "letters from corporate" that state that the store has an open firearm policy as set forth by the state laws........

My story:

I have read where people had issues with Academy letting them carry while in the store. After reading these I was in Academy the other night and my experience was the opposite. I was looking at some IWB holsters and asked the dept lead to help me out. He was test fitting some for me with a firearm from the cabinet and I asked him straight up.... Whats the deal with carrying into the store. He promptly said we do not mind OC or CC, the only time we ask you to "check" your firearm is if we need to look at it for some reason or another like fitting a holster or mag or the like.

I have also read a response from Walmart stating pretty much the same thing except they allow CC. I have seen people OC in Walmart and know that they have different policies in different areas depending on state and local guidelines.

So what stores have been pro-carry with you or asked you to leave them in the car?
    Aceoky likes this.
    Richard
    I shoot things with a Canon

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    None. The only places I've seen with No Gun signs here a re Toy/Babies-r-Us and some malls have a signs outside--none of which carry any lawful impact. No where else Have I seen one posted. Others simply comply with state law. Some gun stores have "No loaded weapons allowed" but they are referring to those bring in firearms for repair or sale. They often have "Lawful CC excepted" below.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We have stores here that have signs that say something like "we allow carrying of firearms per the legal licensing" or something, basically saying our patrons are armed, come on in.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Richard

Oregon is an open carry state. If a store owner or employee sees you carrying, they can ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you can be arrested for misdemeanor trespass. The only signs I have ever encountered in commercial businesses are on the wall inside of shopping centers. You have to read the fine print to see they don't allow weapons.

Our no guns signs here have no fine print. Just a red hash circle around a gun. Concealed is concealed however some stores seem to have different "policies" depending on who is working that day.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardA76 View Post
    Our no guns signs here have no fine print. Just a red hash circle around a gun. Concealed is concealed however some stores seem to have different "policies" depending on who is working that day.

I see those signs here on hospitals, federal buildings, and courthouses. I have never seen one on a commercial store in Oregon.

No gun signs are as rare as one would expect here, no force of law , our gun stores promote lawful carry and most have a fully armed staff. I have never met or even heard of one person ever asked to leave any open to the public place for lawful carry- there may be one but it's been kept quiet .
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

wal-mart, home depot, petco, winco...they haven't given me any issues for OC. but that's not to say at some point they won't. they just haven't yet. i don't bother to look for "no gun" signs because in washington and oregon they have no force of law. i know the places i am not allowed to carry; schools, public buildings, etc.
    Oldpsufan and Aceoky like this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

I believe that most places that see someone dressed clean and OC they just "assume" LEO to a point anyway. Really OC is not that big of a deal if you take the point pushers down in TX out of the equation.
    vice87 likes this.
    Richard

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I just saw the 2nd business in my town put a no gun sign up.While i don't use either one,i'm glad they don't know the signs has to be a certain size with the correct lettering.In fact,the hospital near me is the only one who has it right. I've never been asked to leave because they don't know i'm CCing.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I follow my state laws, all else is subjective.
    RichardA76, vice87 and Aceoky like this.
    A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
    ― Edward R. Murrow

West Virginia is very gun friendly and signs do not have the force of law. I have seen some open carry. But I would say the vast majority is concealed. I know that the LEOs here assume everyone is carrying due to the fact a lot of us are. I had been told by LEOs that if I wasn't then I should be.

I have not had a store ask me to leave. Of course I have it concealed but if they have ever seen it printing they did not say anything. I saw one young man yesterday leaving Kohl's with his wife and he was carrying concealed. You could see the exact outline of his holster and gun printed under his t-shirt. No one was concerned at all. He should have done a better job concealing but it's not an issue in my area.
    vice87 and Aceoky like this.

I open carry whenever possible, I have never had a 'no guns allowed' comment anywhere i've been. I've carried in Wal-mart, Academy, Bass Pro, Petco, Jacks, Hardies, Logans, Longhorn, Olive Garden, and many others.

Sara Lou
    RichardA76 and Aceoky like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    I open carry whenever possible, I have never had a 'no guns allowed' comment anywhere i've been. I've carried in Wal-mart, Academy, Bass Pro, Petco, Jacks, Hardies, Logans, Longhorn, Olive Garden, and many others.

Sara Lou
    But you live in Alabama, it's expected that you are armed, as long as you are not in downtown Birmingham.

It's pretty much that way, here in the Atlanta area as well.

I am participating in some police training (as a civilian volunteer) and they told us ahead of time NOT to bring firearms into the training area, especially since all the officers had blue guns.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I've never had a bit of trouble. Of course I CC so no one knows but me.
    Aceoky and RichardA76 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links