Light strike question~difference between guns

This is a discussion on Light strike question~difference between guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been using Freedom Munitions 124 gr. 9 mm new for some time. I use them through a PPQ, XD and Shield. I have ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By HotGuns
  • 3 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Light strike question~difference between guns

I have been using Freedom Munitions 124 gr. 9 mm new for some time. I use them through a PPQ, XD and Shield. I have never had a FTF or FTE with almost 2000 rounds. A friend bought some of the same cartridges and puts them through his G34. He has had about 8 or 9 FTF out of about 200 rounds. They all appear to be light strikes. He did have a trigger job done on the 34 before he started using these rounds. He did not have any issues before the change in ammo but the change in ammo was about the same time as the trigger job. I have not seen any reviews of FM that was not positive. I am extremely satisfied with what I have used. It is not my problem. I am just curious as to the possible causes to light strikes. Thanks.
    Using Tapatalk

I am almost positive that it has nothing to do with the ammo. Light strikes usually occur when the striker assembly is dirty or if the spring is weak.

Senior Moderator
    Light strikes usually occur when the striker assembly is dirty or if the spring is weak
    Or if the spring has been changed out to a smaller diameter spring to make the trigger pull lighter. That is actually quite common when trigger jobs are done.
    Aceoky, Ghost1958 and AmmoFan01 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Could be ammo/trigger job combo. If it was just the trigger then I would expect to see more than 8-9 out of 200. If the person that did the trigger replace the striker spring with a lighter i.e. lower lb. spring and there are a few rounds with high primers then you get what you got. If he buys a box of RMC or Winchester target ball ammo and doesn't have any problems then I'd say it's the ammo. If he has the same issue it's the trigger.

The striker channel should be clean and clear, as well.

Thanks for the replies. I think I now understand why some people say to never change a SD gun from stock. The last thing I would want to hear is click rather than bang in a SD situation. I did not think the ammo would be the primary issue. I have only had one FTF in the past couple of years and it was not FM ammo. It was with a name brand target load when I was breaking in the Shield. No FTE's or FTF's other than that. But everything I have is stock.
    Using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your friend's first mistake was the trigger job. Glocks work fine as is. He needs to make sure the striker channel is clean (& not lubed) and if that doesn't fix it, un-trigger job it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by half View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think I now understand why some people say to never change a SD gun from stock. The last thing I would want to hear is click rather than bang in a SD situation. I did not think the ammo would be the primary issue. I have only had one FTF in the past couple of years and it was not FM ammo. It was with a name brand target load when I was breaking in the Shield. No FTE's or FTF's other than that. But everything I have is stock.
    Nothing wrong with stock, but nothing wrong with properly completed modifications either, IMHO. I would try some different ammo to verify the problem. If he has more trouble with other types of ammo, it is time to check on the trigger modification. If not, then it is the ammo. The only way to know for sure is to keep testing to find the root cause of the problem.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Since the issue is really none of my business, I really cannot say anything to my friend unless he asks my opinion. The question was mostly just for my education. I have never had any issues with any weapon with FTF's other than some rim fire many years ago that I did not store properly. With those I could not fault the ammo or the rifle. It was just simply carelessness on my part. The other reason is that I am looking at the Apex carry kit trigger for my Shield. I had never read or heard anyone complain about an Apex trigger. Every review I have read is positive but am still a little concerned about modifying my EDC. I am not overly fond of the current trigger on the Shield but it is not the worst I have ever shot by a long way. At any rate, I think I will give it a few hundred more rounds before I give it a try.
    Using Tapatalk

Best leave perfection alone .
    Exacto likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I can say this. In all the shooting I have done, I have had one FTF with a well struck primer. I thought this was extremely rare until The last class I took at PFT. The class had 20 students, and we all fired about 600 rounds each throughout the day. To my surprise there were at least a half dozen ftfs from all kinds of guns. With all the speculation flying around it was determined that in the rush to keep up with demand, QC was nor what it should be at the ammo manufacturers, but that was still just a guess. I have been told that Remington primers are exceptionally hard, and it is not uncommon for that brand, I can't say one way or the other about that. I don't understand it or know why, but I know it happens for a variety of reasons, and sometime it is the ammo.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

All of my ammo has remained perfectly reliable; meticulously hand assembled at home with loving care for when I need to send the very best.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Best leave perfection alone .
    When did this become a 1911 thread?

As the OP, I have to admit while the 1911 may not be prefect, it will probably be the pistol used by the good side at Armageddon. :smile2:
    Using Tapatalk

Links