M14/M1A Stocks

M14/M1A Stocks

This is a discussion on M14/M1A Stocks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up a Springfield Armory M1A with the plastic stock. I wanted walnut, but I haven't been able to find the exact configuration ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: M14/M1A Stocks

M14/M1A Stocks

I just picked up a Springfield Armory M1A with the plastic stock. I wanted walnut, but I haven't been able to find the exact configuration I want, so I jumped on the rifle I was looking for, just with the wrong stock since that is an easy fix.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of places to buy an aftermarket stock, so does anyone personally recommend one or another?

I've been looking at Boyds, Fulton, and a few others I can't remember.

Will swapping the stock on an M1A require any special tools?
    bmcgilvray likes this.

I can't really answer your question, but thinking on it has me thinking that some guys might have wood stocks for sale that they pulled the barrel and action from to go to poly. Those no doubt would have been inletted already. If I was buying new I'd call and ask if any fitting or inletting needed done. Since it's a specific stock for a specific action and barrel maybe it's truly a drop in fit. Maybe not.

Years back I picked up a nice GI surplus stock at a gun show for about $20. That included all the metal bits. That would just be a drop in.
    If you buy one that does not have the liner in it you will need a little two pin spanner to remove and replace the liner. I don't recall off the top of my head how the butt plate is held on. I think regular slot head screws.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'd suggest paying the $100 for a new Boyd's walnut stock and then finish it yourself. That lets you give it exactly the sort of finish that you want (satin, gloss, matte....or something in between). I've owned 2 M-14's in stocks that I finished myself and they'res something a little different about shooting a rifle when you had a hand in making it what it is.

Try Fred's.

Fred's Military M14 Rifle Stocks

Stock swapping's easy as pie with an M1A. No tools required. Get your stock. If you run into an issue installing it then get back on here.

Some 20 or so years ago, I called Fred's and ask him to send the best, most highly figured walnut unissued G.I stock he had on hand and to take his time looking into his inventory. Prices were different then, so was the dollar, but it wasn't too much over $100. He sent a really nice highly figured, contrasting tiger striped stock with iridescent streaking throughout the butt. Photos can't completely capture its variegated nature. If it was finish sanded and done in a high-gloss finish it'd really pop. And to think it was a G. I. stock!

When I bought this Springfield Armory rifle used at at Dallas Market Hall gun show, it had a nearly black birch stock. I gave that stock to my brother-in-law when I got this stock. When placing the order for the figured stock I also had Fred send a plain, well-used grade walnut stock for competition/knock-about use. The rifle generally wears the plain stock.

Another shot taken a couple of years ago when the stock was freshened up with a new coat of raw linseed oil.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Bryan, that is Beautiful!

I've gotta get an M1A one of these days!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Thanks, Kilowatt3.

Hoping to take it out here soon for some informal long range shooting on a fellow's ranch near here. Made up the handloads for the occasion. Saw him the other day and he said he can shoot to 800 yards. My 150 grain handloads may be a bit iffy out that far but ... oh well.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Freds looks like they have some nice stuff, but some stories from M14 Forum have scared me away.

Unfortunately, it looks like the nicer GI stocks are harder to come by these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Bryan, that is Beautiful!

I've gotta get an M1A one of these days!
    It is the best gun for use.

Has anyone used Freds recently? From his website, it sounds like he has one foot out the door and is doing this when he feels like it.

I've dealt with him by phone on a couple of different occasions, quite a few years back now. Even visited with him at a high-power shoot over in Stephenville, Texas once 8-10 years ago (his name wasn't Fred but can't remember what it was). You might try contacting him by telephone to see if he's in the humor to sell stocks. I feel certain that if he committed to selling you a stock he'd come through. You might want to order a spare or two at the same time. Hey, even play the field and get some different varieties. Prices are right, especially on used ones, and they are genuine G.I. .
    tubadude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    You might try contacting him by telephone to see if he's in the humor to sell stocks.
    I didn't think about this option. Thanks!

I guess I'm young enough that I've never really had to conduct business over the phone. haha

Yeah but I'm old enough that I don't often think to do it online. Fred's may do online line messaging readily enough.

Maybe. He lists instructions to say if you want him to cancel if it will be more than ten days. I may give that a try since I imagine that is for some of the higher end or rarer stocks he may or may not have. Treeline doesn't appear to have anything, and I'm really not comfortable enough with my abilities to fit and finish a rifle stock.

I sent an order out to Fred's for a VG-EXC Springfield walnut stock with the instructions to cancel if it cant ship within two weeks. Hopefully he comes through. That place seems to have the best inventory of the online places.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links