Heavy .38 Revolver

Heavy .38 Revolver

This is a discussion on Heavy .38 Revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a good J frame .38 revolver that is not lightweight. I had a Ruger lcr, but want something heavier, maybe 20 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Heavy .38 Revolver

Heavy .38 Revolver

I am looking for a good J frame .38 revolver that is not lightweight. I had a Ruger lcr, but want something heavier, maybe 20 ounces or so. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for?
    CLASS3NH likes this.

It is a bit heavier than that but have you looked at the Ruger SP101?
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Smith is the only way to go if you want a heavier, but not unnecessarily heavy gun. Try the M36 or 37. They are in the weight range you want , and for the money you can have an original. And they are J frames.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks. Just checked out the SP101. Nice looking gun and I like Ruger.
    10thmtn and CLASS3NH like this.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Pretty much all the j-frame S&W lightweights can be had in a steel or stainless steel version. Mdl 36 or Mdl 60 sounds like just the ticket for you, or some variation on that theme.

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    A lot of people don't know that they make the SP101 in .38 and .357. So if you're dead set on a .38 you can still get one.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

S&W looks good. I'd have to save a few more nickles and dimes! Thanks, I'll check it out.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

If you are looking for a 38, the sp101 is a clunk of overly heavy metal. But then again, most Rugers are.
    The Smiths are classy and built on a nice size frame that is plenty strong for the factory loads, but light enough to still pocket carry. And the Secret Service boot grips make this easier.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have a Model 60-12 (post-MIM, no lock, .357 frame, last of the .38 only units) that I bought new in July 1998 with one of my first 2LT paychecks. Other than replacing the stupid Uncle Mikes rubber boot grip with a proper set of wood magnas, it has been perfect. I strongly recommend hunting GB for one.
    CLASS3NH and Secret Spuk like this.

Any steel J-Frame Smith & Wesson model will get you there. The Colt Detective Special weighs in at 21 oz. if memory serves and is still a dandy choice if you can track one down.

To some, 20 oz. .38s are still light weights. We're in a different era these days. K-Frame Smith & Wessons used to be considered medium-weight revolvers weighing 30 oz. in 2-inch barrel and 34 in 4-inch barrel guise. The once hugely popular Colt Official Police weighs 35 oz. in 4-inch barrel.

For a truly heavy .38 Special revolver, go with an N-Frame Smith & Wesson Heavy Duty or Outdoorsman of bygone days, weighing in at a minimum of 40 oz. for 4-inc barrel or more with longer barrels, or the pre-war Border Patrol contract 4-inch Colt New Service, some additional of which were bought by a few agencies and some sportsmen. The .38 Special New Service goes 41 oz. or better depending on barrel length.

Men must have been made of sterner stuff a couple of generations ago.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If you are looking for a 38, the sp101 is a clunk of overly heavy metal. But then again, most Rugers are.
    The Smiths are classy and built on a nice size frame that is plenty strong for the factory loads, but light enough to still pocket carry. And the Secret Service boot grips make this easier.
    The Sp101 weighs about what a loaded baby Glock does...don't know too many who consider them too heavy. And while not a gun I would pocket in dress slacks, I find the Sp101 easier to pocket than my PM9 was...despite the extra weight. The shape makes it draw easier and feel more comfy.

And you can ask Rollo about S&W "strength."

OP - if you want a heavier revolver, how about a .357?
    GhostMaker and CLASS3NH like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Take a look at the Ruger SP101 and the S&W Mod 60
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The Sp101 weighs about what a loaded baby Glock does...don't know too many who consider them too heavy. And while not a gun I would pocket in dress slacks, I find the Sp101 easier to pocket than my PM9 was...despite the extra weight. The shape makes it draw easier and feel more comfy.

And you can ask Rollo about S&W "strength."

OP - if you want a heavier revolver, how about a .357?
    First, Rollo had an air weight. And of the millions produced, and the many I've had, I'm not really sure that issue that Rollo had is a common occurrence.
    The fact is, that Ruger uses gobs of steel to compensate for not using forged frames like S&W does, and depend on the extra material for their " investment cast " frames.
    Now, I know it hurts peoples feelings if they own a gun, have invested money in it, and feel like they have to have purchased the best, only to find out it's not really true.
    And I'm not saying that the sp101 isn't a great gun, it really is.

But the OP was asking about a J frame. The SP101 ain't.
    And , the sp 101 is, for a fact unnecessarily heavy for a 38 .

And in my opinion they both are too light for a 357 magnum, unless you buy the off the shelf stuff that are inspired by legalities.

Apparently common enough for poor Rollo to have it happen twice, IIRC.

I was thinking the OP was using "J frame" in the generic sense, as in a "snubbie." Sorry if I offended the S&W purists.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The 36-1 fits the bill, a 3" barrel steel j frame. I have grown very fond of mine. Heavy enough to soak up recoil, light enough to carry without feeling as if you have a brick attached to your belt.
    BamaT and CLASS3NH like this.
    Mike
    I will rarely post, but will read (and hopefully learn) a lot

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links