Caseless Ammo

This is a discussion on Caseless Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok i know this one is out there ... Im a big Aliens Fan and this is brought up in the movie ... " What ...

Thread: Caseless Ammo

Caseless Ammo

Ok i know this one is out there ... Im a big Aliens Fan and this is brought up in the movie ...

" What do those Rifles shoot "

"10MM Caseless Armor Piercing Std Rounds"

Well if its good enough for the Colonal(sp) Marines The it should be good enough for us ..

Now just to show i havent totaly lost it Hk has made one Caseless HK

There used to be a better Pic of the Ammo but i cant find it So why hasnt this ideal not taken off even if it wasnt in 10mm maybe a 45 caseless the list goes on and on

So lets hear your thoughts on why or why this isnt prudent and will or wont work ..

2. Remove Ads

Here is the other link i was looking for Caseless Ammo

Cool

The G11 is interesting .... seems manufacturers are still trying to come up with a better bullet. I had to do a search on Gunbroker.com cause I couldn't remember the name of the gun made back in the sixties that was quite popular but short-lived. It was very inaccurate and ammunition was expensive and hard to find.
    It was the "Gyrojet" made by MBAssociates. Here is gunbroker link to one they
    have listed....asking $4K....I think they sold for about $250 in the 60's.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=28260235

I rember hearing about them b4 surprised they arent going for a lot more being a one off..

I think reason im surprised the caseless ammo hasnt taken off more is weight .. All militarys complaine about weight .. if you lose the brass case there goes a ton of weight per mag off ammo you could carry a bunch more ..

Lead Moderator
    I think the biggest issue with caseless ammo was the keeping it dry, undamaged factor. A cool idea non the less. HK also developed a pistol to fire the caseless ammo too.

If you want to go back 30-40 years, Daisy tried caseless ammo (remember the VL-22?) Fired by heated compressed air, it had a lot of problems. Hard to keep the ammo dry, the propellant chipped off, velocities were at the best erratic. It was a product way ahead of it's time, and didn't yet have the technology to make it work.

Isn't there a British caseless ammo rifle now? Seems like I remember reading of it, and it uses something called "trounds", because of a triangular bullet instead of round.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Lead Moderator
    I think the triangular bullet gun predates the G11 project.

In Aliens, watch closely. In the ventilation ducts, you can watch brass flying out of those caseless guns. :)

Seriously, if you want to cut weight, work on making guns optimized for aluminum cases. I didn't realize how much less Blazer in the old aluminum cases weighed until I loaded a dozen 25 round Uzi mags with them and compared it to a dozen of conventional brass cased.

Yes i know as in all movies you can see the brass even in star wars with the blast rifles ya see brass eject

You know, one additional advantage of a caseless design is that, theoretically, you could make the action almost completely sealed. You wouldn't need to have that wide open ejection port that exposes various inner workings. With no cases to eject you could completely enclose the action within the receiver/slide. The only access for contaminants would be through the mag well, which could be pretty well sealed when a mag is in place, and through the muzzle. This would certainly increase the reliability of the firearm and probably reduce maintenance as well.

Of course there's that big "theoretically" word in the above paragraph. I suppose you would have to have some way to clear the chamber in the case of a faulty round. Some sort of trap door probably could accomodate that function and not need to be open during normal operation of the action.

Mike
    Last edited by mchasal; February 8th, 2005 at 05:53 PM.

Links