So sick of the phrasing used to describe accidents in regard to firearms.

This is a discussion on So sick of the phrasing used to describe accidents in regard to firearms. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So this is a local story here and what really irks me is how they talk about gun accidents. Basically what happened is an instructor ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: So sick of the phrasing used to describe accidents in regard to firearms.

So sick of the phrasing used to describe accidents in regard to firearms.

So this is a local story here and what really irks me is how they talk about gun accidents. Basically what happened is an instructor and cadet for the OHP were accidently shot during firearms training. They are both going to be fine, thank goodness. One was shot through the hand and went into the others leg. They haven't released yet who shot who and how it happened exactly.

So last night this story is airing on the local news and the reporter describes the event saying the gun accidentally discharged. Why is it that GUNS are the only object that act on their own accord? If someone accidently hits their thumb with a hammer no one says "The hammer accidently swung and hit my thumb!". You swung and hit your thumb. Just like someone discharged the firearm accidently. Guns don't shoot on their own. They don't shoot people on accident or purpose. They only shoot when the person holding the gun makes it shoot.

I just get so annoyed by that kind of phrasing that guns "accidently" go off and hurt or kill people. The gun is only as safe as the person using it. I just don't get blaming the gun and not the person.

Obviously I think we can safely assume the OHP knows this and will figure out who accidently discharged the firearm, but to the average person not familar with guns or on the fence about where they stand in regard to gun control, this kind of wording is misleading and not good for us.

rant over

Officials: Instructor, cadet shot by the same bullet during training exercise | KFOR.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This whole clip/magazine controversy has left everyone so addled, they don't know what to call anything anymore.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

If we want to talk semantics, the operator didn't accidentally discharge the gun, s/he negligently discharged it. Dime's to dollars this was completely preventable taking the work accident out of the picture.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.1977P View Post
    If we want to talk semantics, the operator didn't accidentally discharge the gun, s/he negligently discharged it. Dime's to dollars this was completely preventable taking the work accident out of the picture.
    Exactly! Well said Dan
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Just another means to vilify the gun rather than place blame on the one using it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    The proper legal definition is oopsius daisyum delecto, which the lay equivalent is an oopsie daisy.

In all seriousness, the distinction will be neither appreciated nor persuasive to the vast majority of readers.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

A good point, but from the standpoint of public opinion, I'm not sure that "negligent" gun users should be preferred to "accidental" discharges of guns.
    Jaeger and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I was thinking of giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying inadvertently, but I think I like yours better.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I don't see it as much different than talking about car accidents, or drowning accidents, accidental poisonings, accidental deaths in hospitals and many others. True accidents are fairly rare, most things we term accidents are the result of negligence, and so on. In this case they use the element of the definition that revolves around "an unintentional act or result". That is perfectly acceptable and accurate use of the language. So yes, the news folks were correct, just as it is correct to say "the car accidentally jumped the curb and hit the store."
    gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I don't see it as much different than talking about car accidents, or drowning accidents, accidental poisonings, accidental deaths in hospitals and many others. True accidents are fairly rare, most things we term accidents are the result of negligence, and so on. In this case they use the element of the definition that revolves around "an unintentional act or result". That is perfectly acceptable and accurate use of the language. So yes, the news folks were correct, just as it is correct to say "the car accidentally jumped the curb and hit the store."
    Good God, Man, lives are at stake here!!! (Yes, that was sarcasm). Glockman said it best here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...criticism.html
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Tuco

My problem was saying "the gun accidentally discharged", rather than "someone accidentally discharged the gun"
    msgt/ret, Jaeger and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
    My problem was saying "the gun accidentally discharged", rather than "someone accidentally discharged the gun"
    I'm sure the recipients of said discharge appreciate the distinction.
    gatorbait51 and PEF like this.
    Tuco

In this case it matters immensely. Calling it an accident absolves the shooter of all responsibility and says there is no need to do anything different in this case.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

I think the improper phrasing is because of potential legal liability. The news report occurs just after the accident, before any investigation to determine how it happened, so they refrain from saying 'negligent' or 'accidental' to not assign responsibility. But I agree with your assessment that to blame the firearm is incorrect.
    BigShrek likes this.
    It isnít the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

VIP Member
    In this case it matters immensely. Calling it an accident absolves the shooter of all responsibility and says there is no need to do anything different in this case.
    I still think it could have been an accident. Perhaps the clip malfunctioned.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Tuco

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links