Big hand on a little gun

Big hand on a little gun

This is a discussion on Big hand on a little gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know its not a Heizer Double Tap .45 ACP, but the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 Shield is a small gun. Funny thing is ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By Tinman517
  • 1 Post By techieccw
  • 1 Post By Tinman517
  • 1 Post By techieccw
  • 1 Post By Navydude

Thread: Big hand on a little gun

Big hand on a little gun

I know its not a Heizer Double Tap .45 ACP, but the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 Shield is a small gun. Funny thing is when i was doing some dry fire practice today, my grip felt better with the 7 round magazine removed. I have the 6 round loaded ready to go. I just felt like i could get the web of my hand on the back-strap of the pistol better. It is 3 1/2 in. across my palm. I would think the extended (7 round) mag would be best but it didn't feel right. Maybe i am just not holding it correctly?
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Trust yourself. But not just with how it feels, but how well do you shoot it with the shorter mag vs. the longer one. If you have shot many different guns over many years, then you have some basis for figuring out how "feel in the hand" translates into fast accurate shots. If you haven't held and shot many different guns, then what feels good in the hand is less likely to correspond to good shooting. As I told another OP on this site: you don't judge a race car by how it feels when you're sitting still behind the wheel, but by how fast it gets you around the track.

More to your point: it could well be that the shorter butt length with the shorter magazine snugs into the palm of your hand, and makes it feel like the gun is nestled more solidly in your grip.

If it feels right, it's right regardless of the length of the magazine.

Are you practicing with a holster, as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman517 View Post
    If it feels right, it's right regardless of the length of the magazine.

Are you practicing with a holster, as well?
    This was the first time I was practicing with a holster, Fobus PPS. I do not have my CCHL yet.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, 06 June 1944

Quote Originally Posted by techieccw View Post
    This was the first time I was practicing with a holster, Fobus PPS. I do not have my CCHL yet.
    Great . . . If it felt good coming out of the holster, that's good.

For me, it's really important to achieve a full purchase on the grip. It appears that you have a good combination working for you.
    BigShrek likes this.

VIP Member
    Hey what ever works better for you. I have both the 6 and 7 round mags for my Sig 938 and carry the 6 with me in the holster.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Once I find a way to make 40 S&W ammo grow on trees I will get out and do some live fire to see how it really feels. This is my first handgun. I have some some live fire but need more practice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Navydude likes this.

Be sure to cycle some .40 SD ammo through your Shield prior to carrying, if you haven't already done so.
    techieccw likes this.

So far all I have shoot is some cheap 165 grain FMJ. Will definitely run some SD ammo before my life depends on it

Tinman517 likes this.

Hard to tell from one gun to the next, one hand to the next.

With me, the fairly puny Kahr PM9 fits like a glove. Yes, only two fingers fit on that puppy. With the pinkie-extension magazine floor plates, that second finger tightens up nicely, and with them the accuracy rivals that of most mid-sized to larger pistols. Makes no sense, but the feel is just perfect with that combination. Doesn't do quite the same for me with the +1 magazines, or with the standard mags without the pinkie-extender floor plate. Ya never know.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hard to tell from one gun to the next, one hand to the next.

With me, the fairly puny Kahr PM9 fits like a glove. Yes, only two fingers fit on that puppy. With the pinkie-extension magazine floor plates, that second finger tightens up nicely, and with them the accuracy rivals that of most mid-sized to larger pistols. Makes no sense, but the feel is just perfect with that combination. Doesn't do quite the same for me with the +1 magazines, or with the standard mags without the pinkie-extender floor plate. Ya never know.
    I've had the exact same experience with the CM9. I have one flush fit mag and 3 extended mags. I prefer to shoot with the flush fit with only two fingers on the grip vice the extended mag with 3 fingers. For range and carry, I prefer to stay with the flush fit and use extended for my secondary mag.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by techieccw View Post
    Once I find a way to make 40 S&W ammo grow on trees I will get out and do some live fire to see how it really feels. This is my first handgun. I have some some live fire but need more practice.

I've tried planting 9mm, 45, 40 and still nothing comes up. Even used the best powder for fertilizer. Let me know if you find something that works.
    techieccw likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links