barrel notch on raised twist

This is a discussion on barrel notch on raised twist within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i have acquired a "new to me" kahr mk9 elite98 that is a fine piece but i do have a couple of concerns: 1) there ...

Thread: barrel notch on raised twist

Question barrel notch on raised twist

i have acquired a "new to me" kahr mk9 elite98 that is a fine piece but i do have a couple of concerns:

1) there is a nick inside the barrel about half way down and on one of the raised twists. will this affect POI? is this safe? i can order a new barrel if need be.

2) there is a "U" marking on the trigger guard which signifies that the gun is a factory refurb. i did not know this going in and found out through research on the Kahr website. should i be worried about a factory refurb? will it function just as well as any other pistol out there. the refurb was done some time ago.

thank you in advance...

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Practical accuracy on a self defense handgun...nope...shouldn't be a problem at all halfway down the barrel as long as there is good barrel area ahead of it.

A damaged or deformed barrel muzzle and crown can sometimes cause strange POI problems.

I wouldn't worry about it & I would not worry about the pistol being factory refurbished either. That is not usually never a problem in itself.

thanks for the wisdom.

i really like this pistol and i just wanted to make sure i felt safe with it.

VIP Member
    The factory refurb would make me feel better about it. It means someone has checked it over and fixed the issues.

As for the nick, a dent should be OK. Something sticking up would cause concern. If it's just a dent, a few rounds through it should answer any questions.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

The obligatory Kahr factory round trip

I don't own a Kahr, but in reading the postings of many owners, I get the impression that at least one round trip from new owner to Kahr factory is obligatory, to fix something or other.

Since your Kahr has been back to the factory already, judging by the "refurbished" mark, you may now be able to avoid another roundtrip. That's a good thing.

Kahr evidently likes to use their customers as their quality control department. It probably saves money.

haha. it would be nice to avoid another factory trip but i would consider it since i really like this kahr.

i will probably get a new barrel in time.

Administrator

Lands & Grooves

A small raised nick on a Land will create a small gouge or scrape in the corrosponding groove in the bullet as it passes over it.

Any raised portion of that scrape (on the bullet) will immediately be burnished back down flush to the surface of the bullet...as the bullet continues to pass over remaining area of flawless Land.

By the time the bullet exits the muzzle it will not know that it has had a scratch going down the tube.

It is almost always irrelevant to practical accuracy especially after the firearm has been fired a number of times as it will eventually be "shot smooth" and then will have absolutely no effect at all.

I have shot old, antique Colt 1911 barrels where the barrel interiors were so corroded and pitted after the removal of the brown rust the one could barely see the Lands & Grooves at all.

They shot just fine and were decently consistant at defensive shooting distances.

They were much, much, tougher to clean after shooting and fouled very easily.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links