M1A, a little range time

This is a discussion on M1A, a little range time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got my new scope mounted to my M1A Scout a couple weeks ago. It required pulling the action from the stock to put the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: M1A, a little range time

M1A, a little range time

I got my new scope mounted to my M1A Scout a couple weeks ago. It required pulling the action from the stock to put the mount on. And as most everyone knows, it is recommended to shoot these (and M1's) to "set" things back into place after taking it apart. I put about thirty rounds through it right after putting the scope on and today I thought I'd fine tune things.

I used the first target to fine tune the scope, then moved on to the second target. I was hoping for a better group on the second target, not that I was taking my time or had my good rests out, but I'm thinking this is as good as I'm going to get after the barrel warms up. I found some pics from March when there was still snow on the ground using a non-magnified red dot and was able to place more rounds in the bull. I'm thinking that was a factor of it being colder. The Mtac I had on 4x. If I recall they are both 3MOA red dots. I know the Fastfire III is anyway and this seems similar. I really like the option of 1x to 4x though. And the reticle shows up as black when the red dot is off, so it's still functional if the battery dies. I'll have to find a longer range to test out the bullet drop system it uses. It's what they call their Ballistic CQ if you want to go to Burris' site and see what it's about. It's certainly a more rugged optic than the Fastfire was.

After shooting the Scout again I've decided to take a look at the trigger and see if I can smooth it out. It feels rougher than some of my Finn Mosins and I don't think shooting it is going to help it get better. Maybe that will help tighten my groups some. Or maybe shooting something other than Portuguese ammo might, too. I don't reload .308 yet, but will soon.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Dang!

You guys are making my Jones for an M1A worse every day!
    PAcanis likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Just curious, why did you decide not to use the forward rail mount?
    PAcanis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Just curious, why did you decide not to use the forward rail mount?
    I did, twice.
    I had a Burris Scout Scope on the front rail and the eye relief did not suit me. I could see ok through the scope, but to have a perfect field of vision I had move my face back a couple inches further than comfortable/natural. And the Fastfire III was up there for a while. I just happened to have it so gave it a try. It worked perfectly, but I wanted more than just a simple 1x red dot for this rifle. That's why the move to the MTac. That is not a midrange eye relief optic or it would be mounted to the front rail.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Love that rifle. Maybe next years tax return! I know my wife will kill me, but I'll die happy.
    PAcanis likes this.
    I had reasoned this out in my mind, there was one of two things I had a right to, liberty or death; if I could not have one, I would have the other. ~Harriet Tubman

I just got an M1A and I absolutely love it. I had to settle for the black plastic stock because that is all I could find. Those pics are making me want to hurry up with my walnut stock search.
    PAcanis likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Gotta love that rifle. It's one heck of a shootin' iron!
    PAcanis likes this.

Arrrgggg! You have to come along and do this.

I've wanted a M1A for so long, and my LGS just got in the SOCOM 16. I've been telling my self I don't NEED this all week.

Thanks
    IsaiahM33 and PAcanis like this.

Excellent long gun, sir.
    PAcanis likes this.

VIP Member
    Nice looking rifle! I see you have some clearance for the casing to eject. I used to have a scope on mine but there was not much clearance with the mount so I removed it and shoot mine with the irons.m1a.jpg
    Yep you may need to get that press running some .308
    PAcanis likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Those are some fine smoke poles. You gonna get a lot of joy from that one. When my son, in the 101st Airborne called to tell me he got his M4 I said,"Yup, those are some nice carbines", when he called a few weeks later and said he was the team SAW gunner assigned the M249, I said,"Yup, that aught to be a fun one", but when he called a few months later and told me he made designated marksman,and was assigned a M21 (basically a scoped M14) I said,"Now you got something boy, you aught to be able to get old Mr. Talban Man before he even knows you're there"!
    bmcgilvray and PAcanis like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    Arrrgggg! You have to come along and do this.

I've wanted a M1A for so long, and my LGS just got in the SOCOM 16. I've been telling my self I don't NEED this all week.

Thanks
    We'll expect pics by Saturday and a range report by Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Nice looking rifle! I see you have some clearance for the casing to eject. I used to have a scope on mine but there was not much clearance with the mount so I removed it and shoot mine with the irons.m1a.jpg
    Yep you may need to get that press running some .308
    Yes, the empties aren't hitting the mount at all.
    I'll be interested to see how well it maintains zero when I take it off to get my irons sighted back in.

Thanks for the comments guys.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I'll be interested to see how well it maintains zero when I take it off to get my irons sighted back in.

Let me know, I am mixed about your zero, my experience has been 50/50 with that type of set up. I guess it depends on how far you are shooting.
    I had the Fulton Armory mount and it did not leave much room for the spent casing to pass thru. It would cause problems in rapid fire. I worked well in slow fire courses.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Beautiful rifle. My Mini-14 is making me feel inadequate.
    PAcanis likes this.
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Ha! There's nothing like the soft thump of a combat round against your shoulder, sideKahr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links