Walther P22? or other .22 pistol

This is a discussion on Walther P22? or other .22 pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any of you have knowledge and / or experience with the Walther line of P 22 pistols. I'm considering the purchase of one to use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther P22? or other .22 pistol

Question Walther P22? or other .22 pistol

Any of you have knowledge and / or experience with the Walther line of P 22 pistols.
    I'm considering the purchase of one to use as a plinker and training pistol for beginners.

OR of course I would be quite willing to listen to suggestions on other .22 pistols. (NOT a Ruger. no never, they do not balance in my hand)
    Budget is under $500.00

2. Remove Ads

The Walther P22 is a fine gun.
    It has people that love it and people that hate it, probably in equal amounts.
    People love it because it is a fun and cheap plinker with an excellent adjustable grip. A lot of the animosity is simply due to .22 caliber being a weak caliber, and also due to the P22 not being too fond of cheap ammo. I'm guessing most people who don't like it have never owned one.
    I use CCI Minimags in mine, not one problem in approximately 3000 rounds.

I posted a test I did recently using CCI Stingers, as you can see that .22 caliber round is capable of some serious damage.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19058

Check Bud's Gun Shop, last I saw they were doing the 3.4" P22 for $230.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/61087

Lead Moderator
    some good, some bad on the net about em. I passed on one after doing some research on em. Seems some of em don't work well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

the p22 is a good gun, but some peoples have had problems. have you look at the ruger mark 1, 2, 3 guns??? they make a good 22lr pistol. and you can find a good use one for a far price.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Velocette View Post
    OR of course I would be quite willing to listen to suggestions on other .22 pistols. (NOT a Ruger. no never, they do not balance in my hand)
    Budget is under $500.00
    Which Rugers do not balance for you? Was it just the MKIII or was it the 22/45?

I've only fondled the P22 but I know of people who have had problems and sold / traded off thier P22's not long after they got them. I don't know if its just a hit or miss sort of thing.

Other suggestions would be the Browning Buckmark or Oly Arms is making a "new" 22 the Whitney Wolveriene.

Good luck
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Assistant Administrator
    I don't care so much for the MkI and MkII Rugers but my 22/45 has a feel that IMO is way different and suitable.

Anyways - leaving Ruger aside - Browning Buckmark or, Beretta is it - Neos. One or two pin-shooting buddies use Buckmarks very successfully. Smith 41 is good when it runs right too - but not sure if even a good used one would be inside the budget without checking.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member

Yup, I got one that doesn't work well

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    some good, some bad on the net about em. I passed on one after doing some research on em. Seems some of em don't work well.

I got one that doesn't work well. Magazines fall out, and it isn't from accidentally hitting the magazine release.

Sent it back to the company and they failed to fix the problem. They returned the gun in one day pretty much as they got it.

Also, it does not fire reliably in double action. Single is fine so long as I feed it minimags or similar high velocity critters.

Skeeters are off my buy list as well..<and I work there at Sig>
    The Walther guns come back into the Store almost as quick as they go out....maybe an older High Standard Trophy? Military model 106-107 Hamden Ct series.they run really good and are VERY accurate too, not to mention collectable..A good one will run you about 375.00 to 475.00
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I bought my girlfriend a walther for Christmas and it's pretty ammo sensitive. Friends who have them rave about them but this is my 2nd negative experience with them.

As long as its clean and we feed it decent ammo it runs ok.

My favorite .22lr is my sig trailside. I wish they hadnt discontinued it. Mine is reliable, accurate, comfortable and a hoot to shoot!

Lead Moderator
    I found feed problems(yes I know its a .22lr) , safeties engaging while shooting and some other problems. A Buckmark seems to work fairly well. i have had 1 since 89' . Also a S&W 41 is a great gun too. Never tried a Ruger .22 yet.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a S&W 22A, and a Beretta 21A. Both feed well when they are clean. I only have major feed problems with Wildcats.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

My only experience is through my son-in-law who owned one. He did not like his, had multiple problems with it. He traded it in for a Ruger which he likes. I have a Browing Buckmark and couldn't be happier with it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

How about trailside? CDNN has them for $299..

I used my friends, that thing is like a laser pointer...

I bought one for my daughter. She hates it. I hate it. I tried to sell it to Rocky, and apparantly, he hates it too.
    It's going back to the shop I bought it from to trade on either a Buckmark or a Ruger 22/45.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Bought one, with revised mags.

It was a jam-o-matic, choked on >5 different brands of ammo (stuff that cost $1-3/100 if you call that cheap). Allegedly only works reliably on ammo (CCI) that cost $4-6/100. If I wanted to spend that much on plinking ammo, I'd go to a 9mm thank you!

Sold it!

Bought a used S&W 622 that both my Wife and I love! IIRC I paid $225 including an UltraDot used. It eats all the same ammo that the P22 choked on, with no problems.

Anything High Standard (original Hamden, CT) is great and not ammo sensitive. Browning Buckmark also has a great reputation.
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links