Pistol caliber rifles

Pistol caliber rifles

This is a discussion on Pistol caliber rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; GatorGuy407’s thread “My first pistol caliber carbine” got me to wondering how many here have rifles chambered in pistol calibers. So rather than derail his ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Pistol caliber rifles

VIP Member

Pistol caliber rifles

GatorGuy407’s thread “My first pistol caliber carbine” got me to wondering how many here have rifles chambered in pistol calibers. So rather than derail his thread I will start a new one.

I have two, both chambered in 44Mag. One is a bolt action Remington 788 and the other is a Ruger Deerslayer semi-auto. The 788 really surprised me the first time I shot it; I was thinking a pistol cartridge in a rifle should have no recoil at all, wrong. I loaded it up with some 265gr Keith type Lyman 429421 cast out of Linotype ahead of 22gr of 2400. When I touched it off surprise, surprise I thought I was shooting a 30/06. But true to reputation at 50 yards it would put all three rounds into a nice little cloverleaf.

The Ruger on the other hand being a semi-auto and using 240gr-jacketed rounds is much softer shooting. I did not want to go out to the safe so these are pictures I copied.

Remington_788.jpg Ruger_Deerslayer.jpeg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Some of my fav guns so far the ones I am willing to list :

1. Sub 9 and had a sub 2000 both in 9mm
    2. Colt AR 9mm dedicated
    3. Working on bulding a 45 acp pistol just got to get the barrel cut down for it

I am prob grabing a lever action in 44 mag next to round it out ..

Many of my guns are PCC I like the idea

Toying with either a hi point or a storm rifle in 45 next too as a silencer host just got to see which will be more work
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have a Marlin 94 in 45 colt, A Spanish Destroyer in 9mm, and in the building stages of an AR in 9mm. I also have H&R single shots in .357, 45 colt, and 32-20. I really enjoy shooting them! DR
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.

As far as "military style rifles" go, Im an AR 15 guy. Im trained on that platform, and very comfortable with all aspects of it. But, for the average man, it can get expensive shooting 5.56, or .223. At least if you shoot much of it. Yeah, reloading makes it cheaper, but still. I shoot my AR 15 most often in .22 Lr converted mode to make it more affordable. Honestly, I cant tell much difference between the two rounds at shorter distances.

Thats why I have been really fixated on a 9mm carbine. My Fighting Pistols are primarily 9mm, and I like the idea of compatibility of ammo.

The cost difference between 9mm (for a box of 50 rounds), and 5.56, or .223, (for a box of 20 rounds), ... IS A LOT! Essentially its the same cost to shoot 50 rounds of 9mm, as it is to shoot a box of 20 5.56 or .223 rounds.

Whenever I can shoot 2 1/2 times as much for the same cost, Im liking it.
    msgt/ret, 5lima30ret and Aceoky like this.

I don't yet, msgt... yet...
    msgt/ret likes this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Marlin Lever Action in .357 here.
    msgt/ret and StormRhydr like this.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have a Sub-2000 in hard chrome .40 and a Ruger 96/44 lever action. No pics of my Sub-2000.
    boat 014.JPG
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Lead Moderator
    Mine
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Have a Hi-Point 995TS in 9mm...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Have a Hi-Point 995TS in 9mm...
    I just about bought one of those at Xmas time. They look just fun as can be.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    As far as "military style rifles" go, Im an AR 15 guy. Im trained on that platform, and very comfortable with all aspects of it. But, for the average man, it can get expensive shooting 5.56, or .223. At least if you shoot much of it. Yeah, reloading makes it cheaper, but still. I shoot my AR 15 most often in .22 Lr converted mode to make it more affordable. Honestly, I cant tell much difference between the two rounds at shorter distances.

Thats why I have been really fixated on a 9mm carbine. My Fighting Pistols are primarily 9mm, and I like the idea of compatibility of ammo.

The cost difference between 9mm (for a box of 50 rounds), and 5.56, or .223, (for a box of 20 rounds), ... IS A LOT! Essentially its the same cost to shoot 50 rounds of 9mm, as it is to shoot a box of 20 5.56 or .223 rounds.

Whenever I can shoot 2 1/2 times as much for the same cost, Im liking it.
    Pretty much my thoughts. Shooting 9mm can be very cheap. Obviously not as much as .22 but still pretty cheap and gives you an actual round able to be used for defense. I gave serious thought to a 9mm AR to keep the same platform but thought it would be better to add the Keltec since it has such unique advantages.

I'm thinking I'll probably add some other carbines in calibers of my other pistols.
    StormRhydr and msgt/ret like this.

I carry a Winchester .357 lever action in my truck for fun shooting. 16.5 in.BBL and dead nuts on at 100 yds. MY urban assault rifle.
    There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great. Gen. James Mattis USMC

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Marlin 1894 .44 Mag and Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag/Ruger Super Blackhawk/ Smith 29.

Colt 9mm SMG and Glock 19/ Browning Hi Power.
    StormRhydr and msgt/ret like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    GatorGuy407’s thread “My first pistol caliber carbine” got me to wondering how many here have rifles chambered in pistol calibers. So rather than derail his thread I will start a new one.

I have two, both chambered in 44Mag. One is a bolt action Remington 788 and the other is a Ruger Deerslayer semi-auto. The 788 really surprised me the first time I shot it; I was thinking a pistol cartridge in a rifle should have no recoil at all, wrong. I loaded it up with some 265gr Keith type Lyman 429421 cast out of Linotype ahead of 22gr of 2400. When I touched it off surprise, surprise I thought I was shooting a 30/06. But true to reputation at 50 yards it would put all three rounds into a nice little cloverleaf.

The Ruger on the other hand being a semi-auto and using 240gr-jacketed rounds is much softer shooting. I did not want to go out to the safe so these are pictures I copied.

Remington_788.jpg Ruger_Deerslayer.jpeg
    I've only ever seen a single other example of a Remington 788 in .44 Magnum. Those are quite scarce. A gun club bud years ago set out to collect each variant of the Model 788 and accomplished his goal about the time the Model 788 was discontinued by Remington. He shot 'em all and the .44 Magnum was pleasant to fire.
    msgt/ret and Aceoky like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have had 45 Colt rifles for years, but a few years ago I decided I would try to pair up rifles/carbines with as many of my pistol calibers as possible. Got all the main ones covered and enjoy shooting them all. Besides it was an excuse to find a Thompson for 45 acp. Don't overlook the Hi Points as they are dependable and fun. My grandkids have run 10K rounds through one and it eats anything I feed it. I make them reload their on so they feel like they have an investment in their range fun. Got a trade working on a Marlin Camp 45 right now.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links