I want! ;)

This is a discussion on I want! ;) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Made the mistake of looking. Went to the LGS just to look for my next future gem to bring home. Been wanting a .22 pistol ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree107Likes

Thread: I want! ;)

Distinguished Member

I want! ;)

Made the mistake of looking. Went to the LGS just to look for my next future gem to bring home. Been wanting a .22 pistol because I don't have one therefore it is now a "need". Well everybody rants about a Glock and I don't have one yet. Still not going to have one. It was how it felt in my hand. Reckon I'm a die hard S&W gal. Held the glock, the smith 5" and the smith M&P and the M&P was made for my hands (5" smith was too heavy). What I found about the Glock that bothered me was how sharp the angles were on the handle, what's that word....can't remember but it means to fit your body. Can't afford it right now but sure did like that gun. It's an addiction isn't it?!
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I hope you get the chance to buy it soon. I hate the feeling of wanting a gun but not having the cash to pick it up. For what its worth, I love having a .22 handgun. It makes training so much cheaper!
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    ... can't remember but it means to fit your body. Can't afford it right now but sure did like that gun. It's an addiction isn't it?!
    Ergonomics are a good thing, no doubt. Interestingly, too, how a gun feels under firing can change (sometimes) as compared to when just held/fondled. Hopefully you'll have a chance to take it out for a spin. The M&P's can be nice, for the "right" hand.

Agreed, with the Glocks. For my hand, they've never seemed to fit really well. Certainly not like "a glove." And yet, they are one of the most accurate guns I've shot. The G19 is a peach, accuracy-wise, for all the blocky shape, "corners", protruding mag release button, nearly impossible to manipulate slide stop/release lever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Made the mistake of looking. Went to the LGS just to look for my next future gem to bring home. Been wanting a .22 pistol because I don't have one therefore it is now a "need". Well everybody rants about a Glock and I don't have one yet. Still not going to have one. It was how it felt in my hand. Reckon I'm a die hard S&W gal. Held the glock, the smith 5" and the smith M&P and the M&P was made for my hands (5" smith was too heavy). What I found about the Glock that bothered me was how sharp the angles were on the handle, what's that word....can't remember but it means to fit your body. Can't afford it right now but sure did like that gun. It's an addiction isn't it?!
    Sister, have you checked out the Ruger SR-22? One has been on my radar since they came out! They can be had for slightly less than $300. They have nice ergonomics for a .22. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Sister, have you checked out the Ruger SR-22? One has been on my radar since they came out! They can be had for slightly less than $300. They have nice ergonomics for a .22. Good luck!
    2nd this. My Dad has one, nice shooting piece. If I didn't have a MKII I would get one too.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Ergonomics are a good thing, no doubt. Interestingly, too, how a gun feels under firing can change (sometimes) as compared to when just held/fondled. Hopefully you'll have a chance to take it out for a spin. The M&P's can be nice, for the "right" hand.

Agreed, with the Glocks. For my hand, they've never seemed to fit really well. Certainly not like "a glove." And yet, they are one of the most accurate guns I've shot. The G19 is a peach, accuracy-wise, for all the blocky shape, "corners", protruding mag release button, nearly impossible to manipulate slide stop/release lever.
    As far as Im concerned, CCW nailed it in his above post. The M&P Compact 9mm, felt better in my hands. A fantastic weapon...and yet, I hit easier, with much less concentration with the G 19.

Yeager does a video on this subject. You can find it on youtube, under "Yeagers words of wisdom". The start of the video is where he addresses gun fit, and how one must fire it to know for sure, etc. I am not posting the link, as he says some words that are not allowed here later on in the video.
    Sister and gatorbait51 like this.

Read your own post to answer your question, I see a couple of clues there. I'm sorry I can't help you because I don't know the answer. To me if it fires a bullet I like it. Hope you get better. Maybe it's an epidemic and we've been all exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Couldn't agree more. The Glock always feels like a block of wood in my hands yet I shoot better with my Glock 19 in rapid fire, follow up shots than any of my other pistols. It is dumbfounding.

VIP Member
    A few of my favorite 22s. S&W Model 34, Sig 1911-22, S&W Model 41 and an Erma Luger copy.

Model_34_R.JPG Sig22R.JPG P1010193.jpg Erma22_R.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    I have two sons that have Ruger 10/22 rifles with 50 round magazines. In an alternate reality where 22 ammo was plentiful, I would jump at a Ruger Mark III. As it is, I am desperate to keep enough 22 ammo on hand. Lord forbid we get invaded by zombies!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Lots of good info from all of you, Thank you.

Nope didn't check out the Ruger and now wondering why other than I was getting tired and my legs were starting to hurt. I'll do that, check out the Ruger that is. The part about the cost being less than $300 is good, a hundred less than the smith however I feel sure I could find either gun's for less on-line. By a turn of events money is tighter than it has ever been but there is a light at the end I'm waiting patiently for. The plan is to have the .22 (whichever brand) for a Christmas prezzie....to myself of course. One way or another that just seems right to get a gun for Christmas. It was the pin and ball civil war gun this past year but I can't shoot it.

Thanks again for the good suggestions.
    gatorbait51 and CWOUSCG like this.

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Yes, it is an addiction...and I love it.
    Sister, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Our family has an affinity for 22 lr pistols! We have a Ruger MK1, Browning Buckmark, Ruger SR22, And a half dozen revolvers. For a long time I had a thing for the Ruger MK1 but when the SR22 came along I have found a new friend! It fits well in my hand, shoots well, and just makes me smile! Within a week of my shooting one it fell off the list here in CA so I've had to beg my daughter in law to shoot hers. The MK1 is still our most accurate 22 pistol But for Me the SR22 is just fun to shoot!

Now tell us more about this Cap n Ball pistol! Thanks DR
    Sister, gatorbait51 and ugh762x39 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Our family has an affinity for 22 lr pistols! We have a Ruger MK1, Browning Buckmark, Ruger SR22, And a half dozen revolvers. For a long time I had a thing for the Ruger MK1 but when the SR22 came along I have found a new friend! It fits well in my hand, shoots well, and just makes me smile! Within a week of my shooting one it fell off the list here in CA so I've had to beg my daughter in law to shoot hers. The MK1 is still our most accurate 22 pistol But for Me the SR22 is just fun to shoot!

Now tell us more about this Cap n Ball pistol! Thanks DR
    I don't know everything about the gun but what I do know is that it was a heirloom in my family, lots of my family fought in the civil war on the confederate side on both my mother and fathers side and I think this came through my mothers side that dates back to the 1700's in Wilmington, NC. Grandmomma said we are cousins with the confederate attorney general George Davis. That's my family history that may tell how the gun was gotten in the first place (somebody stole it or found it - it's a union gun).

You put gun powder in the holes, a metal ball in the hole and when you pull the trigger and the gun goes bang and your target is hit that is gonna hurt somebody and maybe kill them dead. Kinda strange to think about it really, don't like having a gun that probably took a life but it is what it is. Do love having things passed through the family though.

I'm pretty sure it's a Remington from what one of the members here told me right after Christmas but I need to take it to the civil war museum here and have it checked for sure. Here is a picture I found that looks exactly like it.

-Remington_New_Model_Army_Revolver.JPG

That's all I know until we get to the museum.

VIP Member
    I also have a Ruger Standard 22lr semi-auto, great pistol that I have used to win a couple of turkey shoots. Checking the registry I found out mine was made in 1970. It’s a great pistol although it can be difficult to reassemble after field stripping.

Ruger Standard and Mark I Serial Number History
    gatorbait51 and Sister like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links