Range time with the Barrett :)

This is a discussion on Range time with the Barrett :) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got out to the range a couple weekends ago with my new Barrett MRAD 300wm. Got it bore sighted and then dialed in at the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfiesden

Thread: Range time with the Barrett :)

Got out to the range a couple weekends ago with my new Barrett MRAD 300wm. Got it bore sighted and then dialed in at the 100yd line. Unfortunately I had problems mounting the scope on it. Rings too short so I had to buy a riser and lower rings to get the scope on it. And I found out the Barrett has a 30moa rail. This put the scope at near its elevation dial limit at 100yd. Yea, I know. 100yd is sorta like point blank range for this thing.

Then came the first trigger pull on it! I was a bit apprehensive as to the recoil as I had never shot a 300wm before. Being nervous and not wanting to scope myself I tensed up as I pulled the trigger. My first reaction was "that's it?". The recoil was substantially less than my 1903A3 30-06 and I swear it was less than Rick's Rem 700 in 308. About 10 rounds later I had it dialed in and shooting dime sized groups at 100yd even using cheap-o Remington Cor-Lokt ammo.

But, that trigger. Holy cow! Its crisp and we measured it at about 2.6#. I am seriously thinking of dialing it up to 3#. The break is clean and what you would expect from a $6000 rifle.

Then we took it to a longer range. Unfortunately, someone was already there at 300yd line so we couldn't stretch it out to 600yd. I will tell you that even with my inexpensive (comparatively speaking) Nikko-Stirling scope on the Barret, it shot 300 like it was nothing. We were shooting 2/3 scale torso steels and we finally quit using the spotting scope. I couldn't miss. I even zoomed the scope out to minimum (10x) and shot only head shots trying to up the challenge. Even shooting an 8" square plate at 300yd was neigh on to boring with this thing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ease by which it sent the bullets where I pointed. Despite the fact I haven;t shot anything over 100yd in about 40 years, this thing just put the bullet where I wanted it to go, no questions asked. Even with a cheap scope on it.

At $30-50 a box of 20 rounds, I can see this getting expensive real quick. I went through about $120 of ammo the first day out. Yea, I gotta get those Redding dies ordered so I can recycle this brass.

The following weekend, we backed it up another 100yd. I had setteled in with the new rifle and was pretty comfortable with it. Hitting an 8" square of steel was not much of a challenge, even with the extra 100yd. Hopefully I will get it back to the 600yd line (longest range I have access to) and see how that goes.
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Cool.
    Did you have to do any wind doping? Right on at 100 was right on at 400?

There was about a 15mph south-south east wind.

With the 300wm and 180g bullets, I was seeing little to no wind drift. I was aiming at center of the 8" head plate at 300yd. The rounds were hitting very close to aim point (steel was already well shot up and need of a paint coat). At 400, I was holding about 1/8th MOA over and still center and hitting nearly exactly the same point on the steel.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

VIP Member
    Sounds like a good day! You shooting at Racine? I get down there but I am not a member wish I had the time.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Sponsored Links