New rifle!!!

New rifle!!!

This is a discussion on New rifle!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, after 3 years sans rifle, I finally managed to get back into the long gun game. Here she is in all her glory... image.jpg ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: New rifle!!!

Cool New rifle!!!

Well, after 3 years sans rifle, I finally managed to get back into the long gun game. Here she is in all her glory...

image.jpg

Ruger M77 MkII .30-06 with Leupold glass, bipod, reloading dies, and 100 rounds of misc. factory ammo- $450

Having a good rifle at your side- priceless
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
    Stand brave and upright, that the Lord may love thee.
    Speak the truth always, even if it means your death.
    Protect the helpless and do no wrong.

Very, very nice.
    Recon1342 likes this.

Indeed, very nice!
    Recon1342 likes this.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Good choice! If I had a single rifle for North America it would probably be very similar to that one.

.30-06 is an extremely versatile cartridge that can be loaded in a myriad of way for just about every application.

Bill Ruger knew what he was doing copying the Mauser. I consider the M77 sort of the archetype American sporting rifle....I have several.
    DingBat and Recon1342 like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Very nice looking gun and a very versatile round that it is chambered in. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
    Recon1342 likes this.

Nice. Congrats and enjoy.
    Recon1342 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    sigh. beautiful. had a m77 in .243 win.
    stainless, black stock. god I wish I hadn't sold that gun.

nice.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The M77 is solid, the .30-06 universal, and that stock is beautiful. Nice grab.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    The old venerable .30-06 is hard to beat. IMHO: The Ruger 77 is the most underrated rifle out there.

Great find, Congrats !! That combo should serve you well..
    Recon1342 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    Very nice looking gun and a very versatile round that it is chambered in. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?
    Yes, I have. It's not bad as is, but I am going to build it up as a long range gun. It will receive a thumbhole stock, a longer and heavier barrel, and a slightly larger scope with more adjustment. I'm really looking forward to it.

Right now it shoots around 1 moa, and has an excellent trigger. I haven't gauged the trigger, but it breaks clean with very little take-up. I'd estimate it around 2 lbs... Almost too light. The current barrel is 22", and I'm going up to a 28" tube to take advantage of the case capacity and slow burning powders. Ought to be fun!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskeetshooter View Post
    The old venerable .30-06 is hard to beat. IMHO: The Ruger 77 is the most underrated rifle out there.

Great find, Congrats !! That combo should serve you well..
    I agree. The '06 is my favorite rifle cartridge bar none. You can handload it for everything from mouse to moose. Also, that M77 action is STOUT.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    OOOO WEEE. That's purdy.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

Very nice!
    Recon1342 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    Yes, I have. It's not bad as is, but I am going to build it up as a long range gun. It will receive a thumbhole stock, a longer and heavier barrel, and a slightly larger scope with more adjustment. I'm really looking forward to it.

Right now it shoots around 1 moa, and has an excellent trigger. I haven't gauged the trigger, but it breaks clean with very little take-up. I'd estimate it around 2 lbs... Almost too light. The current barrel is 22", and I'm going up to a 28" tube to take advantage of the case capacity and slow burning powders. Ought to be fun!
    It always costs more to "build up" a gun that to just buy one made for a specific purpose. Why not keep it around as a shooter until you have enough saved up. Then sell it and roll it all into what you want? That rifle plus the scope could easily get you $650 sold separately.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    It always costs more to "build up" a gun that to just buy one made for a specific purpose. Why not keep it around as a shooter until you have enough saved up. Then sell it and roll it all into what you want? That rifle plus the scope could easily get you $650 sold separately.
    I've got a couple of reasons. I'm 6'6" tall, so if I want a rifle that fits, it's a custom job anyways. Those are around $2k, without glass. Total estimated cost for this one including the cost of the gun with all of my mods will end up very close to $2k, so if I am careful, I'll wind up saving money. The other reason is that almost no one does long range with an '06 anymore. I like out shooting folks with "old" technology. The .30-06 has become passé in recent years as shooters are distracted by bright shiny new rounds. In reality, it is still around because it is so good. Thanks for the input though.
    bmcgilvray and atctimmy like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links