Monstrum Tactical

This is a discussion on Monstrum Tactical within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm looking for a cheap sight solution for a cheap AR. I want something that will allow me to use the iron sights while ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wsquared

Thread: Monstrum Tactical

Monstrum Tactical

So, I'm looking for a cheap sight solution for a cheap AR. I want something that will allow me to use the iron sights while simultaneously having a scope mounted.

I found this on Amazon: Amazon.com : AR-15 Detachable Carry Handle with Rail Mount Package, by "Monstrum Tactical". The reviews are mostly positive, but the ≈20% of negative reviews complain about build quality, broken springs, and being "touched up with a sharpie" (not sure what the last one means without pictures).

For the price, I'm inclined to get it and in the worst case pay <$22 for the education. But talk is cheap, so I thought I'd ask if anyone's had any experience with "Monstrum Tactical" products before. Unless the search indexing is really messed up, I do not believe the brand has been mentioned on here before.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

2. Remove Ads

At that price, it is an airsoft product.

I would have two issues with that item. First is the quality - it is unlikely to stand up well to even moderate use. Second is the intention...do you really want to attach a carry handle to a scope rail, and then use a screw to attach a scope mount to the top of the carry handle that you just put on the scope mount?

Why not just attach that scope to the flat top of the receiver, and if you want back up iron sights put a set of cheap back up iron sights on either side of the scope.
    Tinman517 and Recon1342 like this.

^^^ What he said. ^^^
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by wsquared View Post
    At that price, it is an airsoft product.

I would have two issues with that item. First is the quality - it is unlikely to stand up well to even moderate use. Second is the intention...do you really want to attach a carry handle to a scope rail, and then use a screw to attach a scope mount to the top of the carry handle that you just put on the scope mount?

Why not just attach that scope to the flat top of the receiver, and if you want back up iron sights put a set of cheap back up iron sights on either side of the scope.
    Thanks for the insight. I'd never heard of putting sights on the side of the scope (I'm kind of a newbie to the AR world); I think I'll do a bit more looking. Thanks
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo_Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I'd never heard of putting sights on the side of the scope (I'm kind of a newbie to the AR world); I think I'll do a bit more looking. Thanks
    No, not on the side, but at the rear and front of the optic.

Well, on the side is an option too....but I think it makes a lot more sense to do front and rear. Why don't I try to illustrate.

42781d1333231407-troy-vs-magpul-buis-ar-15_11.jpg

As you can see, the rear sight folds down and tucks in underneath the scope. If something happens to the scope, you remove it, fold the irons up, and carry on.

Another option:

ar_left_buis_up_lq.jpg

On that rifle, the short length and unlimited eye relief of the Eotech means that it can be mounted well forward of the back-up iron sights. You can run the sights up all the time if that floats your boat, or fold them down most of the time, and only pop them up if the Eotech fails.

Distinguished Member
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Links