Know how to take it down before buying

This is a discussion on Know how to take it down before buying within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This sounds silly but I have found one of my best tips for buying a new gun is this ... Watch a video on how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Know how to take it down before buying

Know how to take it down before buying

This sounds silly but I have found one of my best tips for buying a new gun is this ... Watch a video on how to take it down ... I can not tell you the number of guns I really wanted till I watch a take down vid or read the manual....

Save me a lot of headaces me thinks

Just last night I was about to buy a 22 ak trainer for cheep ... Then I how far from a AK take down was in a youtube video ( like a tools were needed to take it apart ) .. So yeah that not happened
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

That's WAY too sensible and smart a way to behave.

Except in the case of the Ruger Mk Series. I went with the Browning Buckmarks instead. So I guess I was smart and sensible once in my life, at least.

And most of my pistols are Sig Classic Series, and if you can field strip one, you can take any of them apart (although the SRT does add a step to the take-down procedure).

I've passed on a few guns because of their take down process. That's also the second reason I decided on M&P over Glock. I miss my old Nano, that thing was very easy to take down.

Simple is always better!
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

VIP Member
    Very good idea before you buy , but anytime i go in my LGS i walk out with a sales receipt and a 8 day pick up date . I see a gun i buy a gun . LOL
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Good idea! Some guns just are not fun to take down.

The Ruger .22 pistols for one example.
    kaikane0812 and Inspector71 like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I do the same! At least if it's a carry gun. I have and have had guns that are difficult to take down; and even downright unreliable or hard to use! (Like single-action revolvers that have to be loaded one at a time as you spin the chamber). But it's less important if it's not a carry weapon; sometimes the unreliable/hard to use/difficult to take down guns are actually a ton of fun to shoot!

A carry gun needs to be painfully easy to take down. Not because I think I'm going to need to field strip it and clean it in the heat of battle (sorry, I just don't buy those scenarios in the real world), but because I clean every week or so (my carry weapon) and it just makes life easier!

OR...get a husband that enjoys taking down and cleaning weapons.

Know how to take it down before buying? I've always done this.

Makes evaluations easier, more effective. Allows me to see inside, understand how it operates inside, see where the contact surfaces are, see whether the risky/weak areas I've read about seem confirmed given the design. I've generally had spotty luck when winging a purchase, but I've got a fairly good track record knowing such things beforehand. Caveat Emptor, really. Knowledge is power.

If I cannot take it down for a simple field strip, if I cannot easily reach and manipulate the controls, if I cannot see how the basic features of the gun operate from the inside ... I won't buy it. And most of the shops I work with have no problem with this. Works for me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I enjoy the challenge. I will admit that I don't shoot the tough take down ones as much.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    I also learn and do the simplest field strip I can before purchase. Mostly to check for function. I took apart a Beretta 92 series (I forget which) with a friend who was thinking about buying one. It wouldn't go back together. the guy behind the counter, me, my buddy, nobody could put it back together. it was NIB. I'm no 92 aficionado, but I've been around a few, stripped a few. I forget what the hang-up was. But that taught me to always take down before a buy.

but I won't discount owning a weapon for being overly complex. it may not be my go-to in a zombie apocalypse, but i'll still own it. I'm a welder, mechanic, fabricator, I've built engines and such. sometimes I like working with a fine, complex machine.

I have one of these Mitchell PPS .22's. Neat little gun actually, wish I hadn't beat it up so bad when I was younger. It's in the basement safe, a queen, generic photo below. But taking it apart can be an awesome explosion of springs and little parts.

Mitchell-PPS.jpg

Edit- wow, I just realized there are drum mags for these things... wonder if can find one...
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member
    I made the mistake of not doing that first. I bought a Kahr CW45 because I had shot a friend's CW9 and liked the trigger immensely. I visited the range twice with it and then traded it off because I couldn't stand the way the takedown was, especially with it being brand new. I felt I needed a third arm to be able to do it. I think I will follow this advice in the future.

EDIT: Oh, and I won't buy another Kahr because of the takedown. I think they are great pistols but I clean after I get home from shooting and I just won't put myself through that anymore.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

A good friend of mine is an engineer. His email tagline is, "If it ain't simple, it ain't right". Words to live by.

Signed "Another glock guy"
    ccw9mm and StormRhydr like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Like single-action revolvers that have to be loaded one at a time as you spin the chamber
    That's about as simple and reliable as it gets!

It's amazing how many people bought AR platform rifles recently who don't even know what the takedown pin is. An AK is obscurely simple, but you need basic knowledge to get the dust cover off. As already stated, it's good to know the contact surfaces and the weak points of the design. Without knowing the operation, every revolver looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I made the mistake of not doing that first. I bought a Kahr CW45 because I had shot a friend's CW9 and liked the trigger immensely. I visited the range twice with it and then traded it off because I couldn't stand the way the takedown was, especially with it being brand new. I felt I needed a third arm to be able to do it. I think I will follow this advice in the future.

EDIT: Oh, and I won't buy another Kahr because of the takedown. I think they are great pistols but I clean after I get home from shooting and I just won't put myself through that anymore.
    You are not the Lone Ranger when it comes to Kahr take down as I have seen similar complaints from multiple posters. Personally, I don't get it. I own both the P380 and the CM9. But before I attempted to strip them I watched videos on how to do it properly. The first time I stripped the P380 it was a little difficult finding just the right alignment, but since then it's been a piece of cake. I've seen some threads where it was very obvious the owner hadn't even read the owner's manual, much less watched a video. Then gone on to complain either how hard it was or described how they managed to screw the pistol up.

Watching both before you buy and before you first strip a pistol is good advice all around. Hence I don't own any Ruger .22 pistols.
    RickyD likes this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Maryland Shall Issue

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    You are not the Lone Ranger when it comes to Kahr take down as I have seen similar complaints from multiple posters. Personally, I don't get it. I own both the P380 and the CM9. But before I attempted to strip them I watched videos on how to do it properly. The first time I stripped the P380 it was a little difficult finding just the right alignment, but since then it's been a piece of cake. I've seen some threads where it was very obvious the owner hadn't even read the owner's manual, much less watched a video. Then gone on to complain either how hard it was or described how they managed to screw the pistol up.

Watching both before you buy and before you first strip a pistol is good advice all around. Hence I don't own any Ruger .22 pistols.
    Definitely agree on the Kahr's. The first couple of times I took my PM9 down it was difficult for me, but as I got used to it and the gun broke in it got much easier.

With this said, I do my homework on takedown before making a purchase as well. There are certainly guns out there that are much more difficult to maintain than others.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links