Wanna Trade?

Wanna Trade?

This is a discussion on Wanna Trade? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if people were trading what they could get for what they needed, like 9mm for 22 LR, but Air Conditioning ??? LOL ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Wanna Trade?

Wanna Trade?

I was wondering if people were trading what they could get for what they needed, like 9mm for 22 LR, but Air Conditioning??? LOL

When a man in rural upstate New York recently had central air-conditioning installed in his home, he offered an unusual method of payment for the job.

“The owner said, ‘My father just passed away and left me some guns and ammunition,’” recalls a 63-year-old electrician named Richard, who offered only his first name. “The guy gave me 3,000 rounds of 9-mm ammunition.” The bullets are worth around $900. “After that, I added it to my business card that I accept cash or bartered items.”
    Gun Ammo: The New Cash? | Vocativ

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

VIP Member
    Bartering is one of the oldest trade practices; I grew on a farm, if we had more corn than we needed but we needed hay and our neighbor had more hay than corn then it was not uncommon for a trade to be made. The same can be done with any product, I have 1,000 rounds of ammo but I need a generator and you have a generator but need ammo, nothing wrong at all with a trade. The state dislikes barter since there is no way to tax it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Bartering is one of the oldest trade practices; I grew on a farm, if we had more corn than we needed but we needed hay and our neighbor had more hay than corn then it was not uncommon for a trade to be made. The same can be done with any product, I have 1,000 rounds of ammo but I need a generator and you have a generator but need ammo, nothing wrong at all with a trade. The state dislikes barter since there is no way to tax it.
    Absolutely, bartered before too. Just thought the article was interesting. 20 years ago this would not have happened with ammo.
    msgt/ret likes this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

VIP Member
    "Richard" (I hope that is not his real name) will want to be discrete as the IRS is ok with bartering - as long as they get their POUNDS of flesh.
    msgt/ret and CWOUSCG like this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    "Richard" (I hope that is not his real name) will want to be discrete as the IRS is ok with bartering - as long as they get their POUNDS of flesh.
    The IRS has NEVER been willing to settle for just a pound!
    CWOUSCG and Wunderneun like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Already done it. Traded some 22LR for a set of Electronic Muffs.
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

gosh, I'm surprised that wasn't a FELONY in New York, even the - more sane - rural parts, I mean, 3k of 9mm??? that's... that's... why you could.... RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

3k is not that much. I have enough primers to load about 20k 9mm. I have enough powder for about 28k. I have enough bullets for 10k. I have lead to cast my own bullets if needed. I only have about 5k of brass. I keep about 1k 9mm loaded and ready to go. But I can run about 400 per hour out of my press without pushing it. And thats just pistol supplies.
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    It's not much at all but the press would claim it's more than some third world countries have.
    DingBat likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

The press will claim whatever they want to further their agenda. Truth has no bearing in "news" anymore.
    CWOUSCG likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    My buddy who used to be in the air-conditioning business made several trades like this. I was a little jealous. I should start accepting certain barter items at work, too...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My dad traded an airplane (Cessna 140) he could no longer fly (health) for new A/C and cash. Both parties got what they wanted.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I tried it at Publix and the cashier just stared at me like I'm crazy. I think a box of 115 gr for a gallon of milk, some frozen yogurt, and a couple of boxes of cereal was a very fair trade, frankly.
    PEF likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Sponsor
    Ever seen the TV show "Down East Dickering"?

On of the better A&E/History Channel style reality shows. Some of the deals are obviously put ons but it's still a good show about real people making ends meet by "Jobbing" and bartering.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

$900 for central air is a great deal. He could make a killing around here. $4,000 to $4,500 locally for a central air installed system.

The article stated that he was an electrician, so maybe he was just installing the electrical circuit and disconnect.?.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links