The Glades TV show anti-gun episode

This is a discussion on The Glades TV show anti-gun episode within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started watching the TV show, The Glades, on Netflix recently. The show itself is moderately entertaining, but the episode I just finished watching from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: The Glades TV show anti-gun episode

I started watching the TV show, The Glades, on Netflix recently. The show itself is moderately entertaining, but the episode I just finished watching from season two, Iron Pipeline, had one of the lamest anti gun retailer scenes I've ever seen. The lead character, a wise-cracking homicide detective, tells the local gun shop owner that if he can prove that Person A took one of the too many (in the detective's opinion) guns that he LEGALLY purchased, then ILLEGALLY filed off the serial number, and then ILLEGALLY gave it to Person B, a minor, who then accidentally shot Person C, the detective was coming after the gun shop owner. What a load of horse poop!

An overriding theme in the whole show was how easy it is for guns to get into the hands of bad people. The implications were: 1. there are just too many guns; 2. we need more restriction/regulation (an out-right ban would be good) of private sales and transfers.

Of course, that didn't stop the show's producers from including the obligatory shoot-out between the bad guy and the detective.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; Rock River Arms LAR-15 Elite CAR A4
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    And now you see one of the reasons the show got axed. The program had one theme, the wise guy arrested everyone until he finally got the right one. I found the girlfriend far more interesting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    And now you see one of the reasons the show got axed. The program had one theme, the wise guy arrested everyone until he finally got the right one. I found the girlfriend far more interesting.
    i dont see the correlation between your implications and the overiding theme of the show. However, I will forever support to make up stuff as you go along

Yeah I saw that one. The show got cancelled last year I think. If you watch it through and through it is essentially one long Kia commercial. Also the series ends in one of the worst cliff hangars I have ever seen.
    gatorbait51 and jjsifo like this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Its a tv show . What do you really expect from people with NO experience around firearms or buying and selling firearms . There only interested in making what they think is entertaining , not factually correct.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    We have a long tradition in TV shows of LE bending the rules and because we, the viewer, know that the goal is stopping BGs it's OK to do that. It's almost universal and we've come to accept this. But if we were to be aware of the abuses of the law we would be outraged. We tend to applaud the wise-cracking, rule-breaking detectives being desensitized to the facts.

What REALLY drove me nuts when I watched the show is how they keep talking about guns being "registered". The show takes place in the Gunshine state where you couldn't register a gun if it was your last dying wish.

Don't even get me started on the show 'Longmire'. The books are excellent, but on the TV show he's always carrying his 1911 with the hammer down, yet when it's needed it's always ready to fire when drawn. They also keep blathering on about 'registered guns' and carry permits (Wyoming is a constitutional carry state, and has no means of registering a gun).
    gatorbait51 and jjsifo like this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by photoman6 View Post
    i dont see the correlation between your implications and the overiding theme of the show. However, I will forever support to make up stuff as you go along
    My "implication" is that like most TV shows, they're for entertainment only, not factual documentations, and this one was particularly bad for repeating the same story line over and over, that of him making wild accusations, arresting every suspect until finally he lucked onto the right one. Finally, the fan base--me included-- faded away. Colorful character he was, but not colorful enough to save the program.

And that, my friend, is not made up.
    gatorbait51 and atctimmy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What did you expect he is from Australia land of no guns.
    OldVet and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    .... The program had one theme, the wise guy arrested everyone until he finally got the right one....
    LOL
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; Rock River Arms LAR-15 Elite CAR A4
    "Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?"

Quote Originally Posted by Yetiman View Post
    What REALLY drove me nuts when I watched the show is how they keep talking about guns being "registered". The show takes place in the Gunshine state where you couldn't register a gun if it was your last dying wish.

Don't even get me started on the show 'Longmire'. The books are excellent, but on the TV show he's always carrying his 1911 with the hammer down, yet when it's needed it's always ready to fire when drawn. They also keep blathering on about 'registered guns' and carry permits (Wyoming is a constitutional carry state, and has no means of registering a gun).
    Ah, maaaann! And, I really liked Longmire!
    Ok, I'm just going to use the TARDIS to go back in time, say 10 minutes, and skip over your post. That should work.
    Yetiman and gatorbait51 like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    Ah, maaaann! And, I really liked Longmire!
    Ok, I'm just going to use the TARDIS to go back in time, say 10 minutes, and skip over your post. That should work.
    It's still a good show, but I wish Vick's character was more like she is in the books. They had to tone her down quite a bit for prime time TV.

If you like the show, you would love the books.

'Boy Howdy'
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjinga View Post
    I started watching the TV show, The Glades, on Netflix recently. The show itself is moderately entertaining, but the episode I just finished watching from season two, Iron Pipeline, had one of the lamest anti gun retailer scenes I've ever seen. The lead character, a wise-cracking homicide detective, tells the local gun shop owner that if he can prove that Person A took one of the too many (in the detective's opinion) guns that he LEGALLY purchased, then ILLEGALLY filed off the serial number, and then ILLEGALLY gave it to Person B, a minor, who then accidentally shot Person C, the detective was coming after the gun shop owner. What a load of horse poop!

An overriding theme in the whole show was how easy it is for guns to get into the hands of bad people. The implications were: 1. there are just too many guns; 2. we need more restriction/regulation (an out-right ban would be good) of private sales and transfers.

Of course, that didn't stop the show's producers from including the obligatory shoot-out between the bad guy and the detective.
    It's just a TV show. Did you ever watch Hunter backing the 80's? Seven seasons, and I'd say Hunter shot a bad guy every other week. 7 seasons X 13 bad guys = 91 perps killed in seven years. Police brutality? Nah, just a TV show.
    gatorbait51 and atctimmy like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Sounds like a few guys here should not watch tv and take up reading non-fiction only. Anything done for entertainment reasons only is simply to much for you. If you think this is directed at you then it is. Hehehehehehe

The rest of us enjoy the non-realistic tv for what it is , pure entertainment.
    Yetiman likes this.

I just want to know where I can get one (or more) of those magical tv guns that never need reloading!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links