Range time with refinished race gun

This is a discussion on Range time with refinished race gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I *finally* got around to rebluing my race gun last week. This was the much used R1 I slapped together last year just to see ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Tinman517

Thread: Range time with refinished race gun

Range time with refinished race gun

I *finally* got around to rebluing my race gun last week. This was the much used R1 I slapped together last year just to see what would happen.
    I got rid of the wrap around checkering I had on the front strap and attacked it with my Dremel instead. The texture seems to be functional. And of course the beavertail area needed reblued from fitting the grip safety plus the pistol had the other usual scratches from whoever beat the crap out of it before.
    I've got three applications of Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution on it. I like the grips, even for cheapies, but might dress it up with some new furniture.
    After not having shot it in a while I've decided my next build will most definitely have whatever slide release and thumb safety I used on this build. I love the looks and the ergonomics. I've got the parts list somewhere...

The first few mags didn't go quite as smoothly as the last time I shot it. Back then I was shooting 230 gr plated running 725fps. Now I was shooting 200 gr LSWC at 775. I had a few FTE's and one slide not locking back. Fortunately I had an 11 lb recoil spring in my box and that fixed things right up. This pistol has less recoil than my Browning Hi-Powers do. If that. A little trigger work to get from 4 lbs down to 3-3-1/2 and I'll call it a day with this one.

Some pics of the gun, 5 shots at 25 yards kneeling, 5 more after a sight adjustment, then 8 fairly quick shots at 15 yds offhand.

1.jpg 2.jpg 5@25 kneeling.jpg 5 more@25.jpg 8@15 offhand.jpg
    bmcgilvray and Tinman517 like this.

2. Remove Ads

That's the first racegun I've seen built on a Remington!
    PAcanis likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice shooting.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

At the time it was a cheap option, Smitty. Plus, after tearing into the R1, it sure wasn't good for anything else. Real cheap parts in those Remingtons.

Thanks OV. I like the red dot on this one. It's not so small that it makes you look all shaky.

Nice paper punching there.
    PAcanis likes this.

Links