Funny things you see at garage sales

This is a discussion on Funny things you see at garage sales within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's something I wanted to bring up, as I am not sure of the legality of it. Went to a garage sale up north a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Funny things you see at garage sales

Funny things you see at garage sales

Here's something I wanted to bring up, as I am not sure of the legality of it.
    Went to a garage sale up north a few weeks ago and I noticed a sign with a list of handguns that the seller was offering.
    I walk over and there in a box is a stainless .44 revolver, on a card table was an assault style shotgun and some other well used pistol.
    I of course picked up the revolver and checked to see if it was unloaded (it was) and return it to the box. The homeowner asked if I was interested as he had several more guns...I politely declined.
    Anyway, I thought that was very odd...there was ammo for all the guns on the tables in boxes, but fairly easily accessible.
    Is this legal? Yet alone...safe? I almost made an offer just to see how far it would go...wondering if he would ever ask if I had a CC license.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I guess it would depend on your state laws regarding private sales.

Probably not the safest having them accessible like that, especially with the ammo close by. At least have the ammo locked up, of not having all the guns locked with just the sign out, then if someone asked about them, he could go further.

You can find some pretty good deals at garage sales. The legality of the sales will vary state by state though.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

Here, in Iowa, the purchaser would have to have a permit to acquire a handgun. There is no such requirement for a long gun.

I think as long as there is supervision (and God knows there should be) having ammo available at the table is kosher. I wouldn't do it, but hey...
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    so far as I know, my stupid states new laws are among the few regulating person-to-person transfers. Cali and NY are ALWAYS a problem for ANYTHING, so I won't say mum about it.

the ammo and arms being easily accessible is a bit of a bone-head move, but the act of selling firearms P2P is no big deal.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

VIP Member
    Here in North Carolina private sales are legal but if you are selling a handgun you must get either a pistol purchase permit or a copy of the buyers CCW, no requirements for a long gun.
    CLASS3NH and 5lima30ret like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Legal in FL, but probably not advisable. Nothing like announcing to the public, "GUNS HERE!"
    CLASS3NH, msgt/ret and zonker1986 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In AZ that would be way beyond OK .. Ammo at hand might not be a good idea ..Who here members the gun store scene in the first terminator ....

But in AZ all you need to know is :

1. Buyer is 18 or older ( handgun or rifle ) this is Fed law too ..heck they can OC at 18 or CC if 19 and MIL in AZ
    2. They live in AZ for handgun or live in a state where this is legal for long guns
    3. You have no reason to think they are unable to own a gun ... Ie taking orders from mars or there dog or having there pants around there ankles etc

That is that is all... Nothing more sure some people ask for a CCW but that is not needed at all ...

I think in MI you need a permit to buy for handguns but not sure

Now if any of the guns were class 3 ie sawed off etc then yeah whole other issue ...

In some state like here Privat sales are just dandy and legal .. I like them esp for bannable guns not that I own such things ...Other place say all guns or handgun need a permit to buy or show a fireram card .. Or some say PPT for long guns is legal not for handgun..

All the fed say is really this
    "If your a dealer people have to be 21 to buy striped lower, ( I think pistole grip shotguns ) ,handguns and other class guns ... 18 for long guns " but if not a dealer 18 is fine to sell a handgun to them .... As long of course as you dont make your income from soly selling guns of course

In AZ I would not be paused at all to see guns for sale at a garage sale .. Heck keep hoping I will as there is a lot of people around here who fought in WW2 etc etc who might have some great bring back guns
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Yes, legal in Mi. for the handguns, provided the buyer had their CPL. you would just fill out a pistol sales record.
    If not, you would go to your police station get the purchase permit, get backgrounded, then go and buy it from the seller.
    MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

License to Purchase: MCL 28.423 was repealed by PA 381 of 2000 eliminating the $5 processing fee for obtaining a License to Purchase. However, you may be charged a fee to notarize the application for a License to Purchase. MCL 28.422 A local police or sheriff may charge up to $1.00 for the cost of providing, to the owner, a copy of information that was entered in the pistol entry database.

Pistol Sales Record: MCL 28.422a A local police or sheriff may charge up to $1.00 for the cost of providing, to the owner, a copy of information that was entered in the pistol entry database.

As far as the long guns, you need nothing to buy one from a private seller.
    I have never sold a firearm to anyone I do not know personally.
    If I did, I would take their drivers license # or CPL # and document it on a bill of sale for both of us to have for record purposes, should something get complicated down the road.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I have bought a Mossberg 183 .410 shotgun at a yard sale. I have also bought a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12 gauge at a professionally run estate sale. Both were considered private sales which are legal in Virginia. The Mossberg was setting on table where the owner was very close by. Also this was back in the early 1980's. The Remington was setting in a room along with the owner's Colt revolver and one of the sales workers in the room keeping a sharp eye on them.
    CLASS3NH likes this.

People run into nice deals at yard sales all the time. It almost makes me want to stop at them when I see one.
    I for one am not above doing a private sale the way they used to be done. If the opportunity presented itself. And who knows, maybe when you make the deal the guy will say, "Honey, watch things. We need to take off to do a transfer."
    CWOUSCG and CLASS3NH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dtbone View Post
    Here's something I wanted to bring up, as I am not sure of the legality of it.
    Went to a garage sale up north a few weeks ago and I noticed a sign with a list of handguns that the seller was offering.
    I walk over and there in a box is a stainless .44 revolver, on a card table was an assault style shotgun and some other well used pistol.
    I of course picked up the revolver and checked to see if it was unloaded (it was) and return it to the box. The homeowner asked if I was interested as he had several more guns...I politely declined.
    Anyway, I thought that was very odd...there was ammo for all the guns on the tables in boxes, but fairly easily accessible.
    Is this legal? Yet alone...safe? I almost made an offer just to see how far it would go...wondering if he would ever ask if I had a CC license.
    What are your State laws? Are you 21 or older? (just asking) Do you have a CCW permit? or a license to carry/own a handgun? It all depends on your State laws.

MSP - Firearms

Michigan Gun Laws
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    I think it's sad that in America someone has to question the legality of selling a gun. It really shows just how far we've come from "shall not be infringed".
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think it's sad that in America someone has to question the legality of selling a gun. It really shows just how far we've come from "shall not be infringed".

Yep and yep +10000

Just to think back in 1967 a person in CA could drive to AZ and buy a handgun from any one and walk out the door with it no checks no you need this sate ID to buy etc ... Heck you wanted a open bolt 45 grease gun rifle in CA with that shoulder thing that went up well send for one and they will ship it right to your front door

Odd and kind of sad really your right
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

It is legal here in indiana. I bought a 20 ga remington 870 from a garage sale. The older gentleman had several longguns and handguns for sale. He stayed at the table, all of the firearms were unloaded, and I signed a bill of sale. The only difference between this and a LGS was no federal forms and it was in his yard...thats it.
    locotest, msgt/ret and Eagleks like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I miss America.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links