More [gun shop stories]

More [gun shop stories]

This is a discussion on More [gun shop stories] within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not calling any names but I wanted to vent [ a little] I am in my local gunshop and in walks this guy with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: More [gun shop stories]

More [gun shop stories]

Not calling any names but I wanted to vent [ a little]

I am in my local gunshop and in walks this guy with a pistol in an ultra cheap universal nylon holster. He tells the guy at the counter that he has no idea what it is and was curious what it was worth. I see him remove what appears to be a 1970's Browning Hi-Power with light wood grips. The gun shop guy has no idea what it is and is turning it around looking at it. He asks a second gunshopguy who glances at it and says.. its a Browning Hi power. Gunshopguy#1 had no idea what it was 10 seconds ago but now is the [expert] once again. He tells the customer that they are not very sought after and that this specimen looked rough. (He noted that the gribs looks dinged). I kept quiet but from my vantage point the pistol looked to be in very good condition. The gunshopguy then tells the customer that its probably worth $200.00 but that the shop was not interested in buying it as nobody wants them. LOLOL! The customer said thank you.. and left with his pistol. I nearly chased after the guy to tell him that the gunshopguy was feeding him a bunch of BS. I didnt though, and just minded my own business. I was there to purchase a $700 rifle but just couldnt bring myself to hand over the money to the same guy that performed such a dis-service to a fellow gun owner. I left without making a purchase.

I tell people all the time, just because a guy works in a gun store doesnt mean that he knows anything about guns, SD, gear or the law. It really doesnt.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    It would be interesting to do the same thing. Play dumb with a nice gun and see what they tell you. It would be a good way to determine the ethics of various gun stores.

Good for you Fiz...........I'd not want to deal with a shop like that either (and I've been there in those type shops)
    One thing I do know is, the store I work at are pretty straight arrows. It's the customers, who bring stuff in, broken and unrepairable, that we get taken on. ( internals broken, or stocks glued together and such)
    There's always room for any clerk to learn more. It's been said, that I've probably forgotten more than most people have learned in the shooting industry. I think, I would have been right out the door, asking the owner of that Browning Hi Power, if he wanted to sell it, and offer him a reasonable price for the gun.. MORE than the Gun shop offered him....
    Just me though
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I would of pulled out $200
    Ianthin, OldVet, Taurahe and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    I wonder if that was a ploy buy the Hi-Power guy to find a new honest and reliable gunshop. Sounds like a great idea, and something to keep in mind for the future
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

I think the owner of the pistol really didnt know what it was and probably wasnt much of a gun-guy. He handled the pistol as if it were a bear trap about to close on his fingers.
    CLASS3NH and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    It would be interesting to do the same thing. Play dumb with a nice gun and see what they tell you. It would be a good way to determine the ethics of various gun stores.
    I was wanting to swap a decent 1006 S&W with four magazines a couple years ago, and $200 in trade was all they were willing to give me. Same story, nobody wants them, you don't have the original box, etc.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

shoulda offered him $250 and walked away smiling.

(if ignorance of the law is no excuse, ignorance of the worth of your belongings isn't either)
    CLASS3NH and gatorbait51 like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Not to detract from the LGS employee not knowing about a Hi-power, but who goes to a gun shop and says "I don't know what this is" in this day and age?

A. look at rollmarks
    B. google
    C. now you know
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by RebelSoul View Post
    Not to detract from the LGS employee not knowing about a Hi-power, but who goes to a gun shop and says "I don't know what this is" in this day and age?

A. look at rollmarks
    B. google
    C. now you know
    yeah, with the invent of the inter-web there really isnt any excuse anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    yeah, with the invent of the inter-web there really isnt any excuse anymore.
    Correct.

We all have access to nearly all collective human knowledge now. Hive mind through technology.

Its so amazing it boggles the mind.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

works both ways. Walked into my local gun store a couple of years ago and spied a LNIB Star Firestar with an immaculate Starvel finish in the used gun case. I asked to see it, and the owner said he'd sell it for $200 out the door. I played dumb and asked why it was priced so low, and was not sure I wanted to buy a gun from such a no-name manufacturer. Gun Store owner admitted he had never heard of star (guy was around 30 years old) and just wanted to get rid of it. I said ok, what the heck and out the door I went with a gun going on Gunbroker for $450-$500......for $200.

....next time in the gun store owner agreed that he really screwed up with the price on the Firestar......and I just smiled.
    RebelSoul, msgt/ret and CLASS3NH like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I must say that the shop I have coffee in is NOT one of those. They always offer a fair price, and an alternative to their price. They'd rather tell the customer the truth and offer to take it in on consignment, or handle selling it on one auction site or another. Be honest with the customer, he or she will be back. Dont disrespect the customer, he or she wont be back. Take time to answer any questions the customer might have even if they are not buying at this time. They will come back, and they will bring friends. If you dont know something.... say it and then say lets find out.

When a customer comes in with obviously false war stories, be polite until you cant take it any more. Then have fun with them. They will leave... and probably wont be back. If they do come back they will most likely have a different attitude.

When the customer comes in with a 2" model 64 marked NYPD ans swears it was used by some famous detective... be kind when you let the air out of his baloon. When a customer comes in with a ratty luger with mis-matched parts, be kind and help him understand that even if the frame does sport a swastika... It's still just a beater/shooter.

However it is permissable to laugh when a twenty one year old gamer comes in and orders a rifle (Usually m4gery) tricked out like his in the game and a H&K pistol with all the bells and whistles..... It's ok to laugh at the look on his face when he finds out he's just spent fourteen thousand, nine hundred seventy two dollars and seventynine cents. Unless of course he whips out the plastic... then you start showing him some gear.

Oncet in a while... just for grins and giggles I'll take something like my styer scout with the origonal luggage, or my TRR8, or a pristine 1970's never fired model 36 in the origonal box with papers, cleaning mop and brush, and origonal buyers reciept. Just to see what offers I get. It's a shame what the offers are... never anything more than $200. for any of them. Although I was once getting rid of a Sig 226 in decent shape with three mags. No table offered me more than $250. All I wanted was $400. As I was leaving this hyper lil guy offers me $350. I tole him I wanted $400. and I wouldnt sell to a private individual. Followed me around until he got up to $550. and agreed to buy through an FFL to assure me he got a background check.
    He paid the FFL and I walked out whistling with what I wanted and lunch for two weeks.
    ugh762x39, msgt/ret and CLASS3NH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    works both ways. Walked into my local gun store a couple of years ago and spied a LNIB Star Firestar with an immaculate Starvel finish in the used gun case. I asked to see it, and the owner said he'd sell it for $200 out the door. I played dumb and asked why it was priced so low, and was not sure I wanted to buy a gun from such a no-name manufacturer. Gun Store owner admitted he had never heard of star (guy was around 30 years old) and just wanted to get rid of it. I said ok, what the heck and out the door I went with a gun going on Gunbroker for $450-$500......for $200.

....next time in the gun store owner agreed that he really screwed up with the price on the Firestar......and I just smiled.

If he was selling that Star for $200, he probably paid no more than $100 for it to begin with. Keep smiling.....the store owner didn't lose money on the sale!
    CLASS3NH and msgt/ret like this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links