Heritage Rough Rider

This is a discussion on Heritage Rough Rider within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, one of many things that I am missing in my firearms collection right now is a .22 pistol. I was at the gun shop ...

Thread: Heritage Rough Rider

Heritage Rough Rider

So, one of many things that I am missing in my firearms collection right now is a .22 pistol. I was at the gun shop the other day, and in the display case the Rough Rider, made by Heritage. Its a SAA clone that comes with two cylinders, one in .22, and one in .22mag. The price makes me wonder about em, since it was only like 130 with both cylinders. I'm not usually one to knock a firearm just because it is inexpensive (I love my Rossi .357 snub nose), but I had not even heard of this company before. Does anyone have one of these, or have you shot one?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yes I know of them. Save your pennies a little longer. I had one for a short time for testing before the went on my FFL's shelves, they didn't make the cut. Not even close.

Indexing was terrible, shaved lead and sights broke for some unknown reason.

I was just intrigued by em. I like single actions, and the price was about a night and a half's work, so I thought I'd ask about em. Ruger Bearcat is on my list, down a few spots from the top. Just seemed that if this was decent, it would hold me over.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I got one last year for my Birthday from a friend, and it has made a decent little fun gun. It is fairly accurate, even with the basic notch sights. Indexing is sometimes a little rough, and it can bind if you dont fully drop the hammer, but other than that, it has been a fun little pistol. Ive taken it out in the fields a few times, and it has been adequate enough to harvest rabbits.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Like SIXTO said, "save your pennies a little longer." I fell prey to the lure of one of these in 22LR/22MAG and I had nothing but problems with it. The cylinders didn't index properly and the little safety lever (yes it has a safety) was loose and kept moving into the safe position when I was shooting. I don't doubt that there are some good ones, but I was not impressed. I couldn't resell or trade it, so I turned it in at a gun buyback (I know, BAD, BAD) in a nearby community and actually made a profit on it.

I'd look for a Ruger Bearcat or Single Six if you want a good SA 22LR
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

My experience has been the exact opposite of those above. I have had my RR for about 3 years now and really enjoy it. Haven't had the problems with indexing nor safety lever listed above. Just load and shoot. Fairly accurate and you can probably toss it to a BG and he'll never figure out how to shoot it. I like mine

Life is too short to be serious!

Links