Glock 19 Slide Corrosion

Glock 19 Slide Corrosion

This is a discussion on Glock 19 Slide Corrosion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Glock 19 turned 21 years old this week. After 21 years of holster wear my the finish has worn around the front of the ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By ericb327
  • 1 Post By miller_man
  • 2 Post By 5lima30ret
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By Harryball
  • 4 Post By gatorbait51
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By ericb327

Thread: Glock 19 Slide Corrosion

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Glock 19 Slide Corrosion

My Glock 19 turned 21 years old this week. After 21 years of holster wear my the finish has worn around the front of the slide. I started to notice some corrosion and rust.

My question is... Has anyone ever sent back their slide to glock for refinishing? The cost is 45$ and I see no need in buying a new pistol as my G19 still performs quite well.

My second question is... Has anyone else experienced this?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Haven't done it, but I may. Don't think you can get any finish for that cheap anywhere else.

Only thing I would have to consider is I've always thought about putting a SS/silver looking finish on the slide.

I've only carried my G19 since last May and done a TON of draw practice and my slide is showing silver on both corners and around the ejection port. Couldn't imagine what it'd be in 5 years, let alone 20+.

21 years, oobber impressive!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Get Glock to refinish the slide for $45 and you should be GTG for another 21 years then repeat!
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Never had this happen, nor have I heard of it happening, but my Glocks are only a few years old.

I know it is off topic, but can you tell us how well the polymer frame is holding up after 21 years?
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    My Glock 19 turned 21 years old this week. After 21 years of holster wear my the finish has worn around the front of the slide. I started to notice some corrosion and rust.

My question is... Has anyone ever sent back their slide to glock for refinishing? The cost is 45$ and I see no need in buying a new pistol as my G19 still performs quite well.

My second question is... Has anyone else experienced this?
    I have with my CPX-1. I just steel wool and some oil get the bad stuff off, then re- blue.....
    ericb327 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Any steel can corrode . Clean it, send it back to be refinished ,and then shoot it some more.
    5lima30ret, OD*, Pete63 and 1 others like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

There's been some yack (and inconsistent reports) of GLOCK changing the details of its proprietary "Tenifer" finish. Sounds like a job for...Robar!
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sponsor
    I would send it to Glock for a refinish, wow 21 years. is that every day carrie?
    I carried a Beretta 92 so long with several thumb break holsters that i had a small groove cut in the frame but the finish didn't last not 21 years on no part of it but it is still one of my favorite guns.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I'm not sure I'd worry about it unless you just really find the current looks offensive. If the gun is 21 years old it is the old Tenifer finish, which gets down into the metal itself. The outer finish in black is cosmetic only and jsut because it is gone doesn't mean much other than the black stuff is gone. A little oil, a little elbow grease and the rust should be gone. Personally I look at wear as just a record of the past, to be displayed proudly and with fond memories. BTW, my Glock 17 is from 1989, so it is 25 years old. A number of spots where the outer finish is gone, assorted scratches and dings, assorted spots where it has been touched up with a black magic marker, etc. give it character, sort of like the scars and wrinkles of an old warrior.

Understand the Glock refinish isn't the same as what it had on it 21 years ago. They will apply the newer coating, but true Tenifer isn't legal in the U.S. So Glock in Smyrna can't apply it.

My 27 is quite worn and old as well, I have been tossing around cerakote as an option. If done right it should last a very long time and is somewhat "slicker" so it is supposed to be easier on the rails. But it is closer to $100.

Let us know what you choose
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

OP, many people misunderstand the. " finish " on the Glock pistol.

Over the years they have changed coatings, but the outer finish is not the protection. The protection on your Glock is called Tenifer, and is not the outer coating, but is imbedded in the steel itself. The gun should not rust if all of the outer black finish is stripped, and bare.
    They currently use another type of metal treatment that meets EPA standards, which is the same thing S&W uses on their M&P series. But guns made in Austria have the Tenifer finish, such as yours.

I would not worry about it. I have subjected my Glock to sea water exposure time and time again, without rinsing or cleaning and the rust is very minimal.
    ericb327 and David Armstrong like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Never had this happen, nor have I heard of it happening, but my Glocks are only a few years old.

I know it is off topic, but can you tell us how well the polymer frame is holding up after 21 years?
    Excellent!
    Badey likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

I assure everyone it is corrosion on my slide. Looks like I have to start carrying my G30!

Come on, get it Chromed!

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    There's been some yack (and inconsistent reports) of GLOCK changing the details of its proprietary "Tenifer" finish. Sounds like a job for...Robar!
    ^^^ What Ghost Tracker said...
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Links