When to invest in a safe

When to invest in a safe

This is a discussion on When to invest in a safe within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm relatively new to the firearms game. I've bought 2 pistols and a shotgun over the last 4 years, but would like to acquire ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: When to invest in a safe

When to invest in a safe

So, I'm relatively new to the firearms game. I've bought 2 pistols and a shotgun over the last 4 years, but would like to acquire more. Exactly what I'm going to buy isn't the point of this post, but suffice it to say I would like to have a well-rounded collection of pistols, shotguns, and rifles in the future.

As such, I want to discuss the necessity for secure storage in a rental housing situation. I have a trustworthy roommate, so him having access to my firearms is not something that greatly concerns me...I know he's not into guns, has a good job, and has no reason to steal them for drug money or whatever people steal stuff for. However, burglary/theft is a genuine concern, especially considering 2 of the units near me have been broken into in the last year.

My overall question is: Over what dollar amount/firearm count does a safe necessitate itself? Another question for discussion would be what intermediate measures between hiding/simple locks (what I'm doing now) and full-on gun safe exist and work for you all?

Thank you in advance for your input!

VIP Member
    I would say you are there. However my warning: "Guns will multiply like rabbits once you get a safe"
    so purchase a much larger unit that you think you need.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    No matter the living arrangements you should be responsible for your firearms . Get a safe as soon as you can afford it or get a storage locker so you can lock them up .

Don't count on someone else doing the right thing .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    HMMMM When it's safe?
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member
    I agree with Welder - you may trust your roommate, but even if he is a great guy he might have a friend who is not, he could forget to lock a door or he could even have a niece, nephew or neighbor kid in the apartment.

You are responsible for your firearms, so if it were me I would get them locked up ASAP.

As for loss prevention, your tolerance is whatever you can afford to lose. Again, the liability issue is a bigger one for me personally.

Distinguished Member
    What welder said.
    welder516 and Pinot like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Many a trusted roommate has robbed his roomie blind.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

given the circumstances, you should have a safe already
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

For one or 4 guns and a few handguns they are a lot of very very nice slim safes out there .. Just bolt them to the wall and then patch the holes ... Also if you can and the floors take it .. Put as many heavy crap on the floor of the safe as you can .. Mayb some of them weight lifter 100 pounders.. The key is making the safe as big a pain to get at as possible ... IMOP most robbers and grab and run types if taht safe is too hard to get into and too big a pain to move they wont bother in most cases .. Sure any safe can be broken into eventaul the key is time

Also if you can find a way to rig up some form of hidden camera near by to watch

I mean if all you have is a shotgun and a handgun just get a small draw safe that bolts to the draw and a simply one -5 gun long safe or under bed safe and call it could till you have room for a true safe

Also if you dont use the gun much maybe pull the firing parts ( bolt what have you) and storm them elese where so if taken it is worthless imdeldty ...

And of coruse have insurans if your in the NRA you get 2500 for free ....
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Don't buy a safe until the guns you want to protect are worth more than the price of the safe.

There are "safes" to keep honest people honest (the $150 lockboxes you can get at Walmart) and there are actual safes. Look for a plate steel door and a good lock mechanism. Bolt it down no matter how heavy it is. My safe is closing in on a ton and its still bolted down. Put a few dozen golf balls on the floor and you can roll a 2000lb safe out of the house in a matter of minutes with a buddy helping. My advice is to get a lockbox for now to keep honest folks honest, but save up for a real safe. Search this forum...there are lots of posts (mine included) that go into more detail on what to look for.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I just got this one for my new house. I had to throw my old, smaller ones in on the deal for the people who bought my old house (I didn't want to move them anyway!).

Armory Series | Cannon Safe

No comment on room to grow, but I didn't want to get multiples, and did not need to pay $10K for a "real" safe. I thought about a room, but the layout wasn't conducive.

Cannon designed this safe for buyers just like me who need a lot of room, but don't want to pay for a more serious safe that a house can burn down around, and no thief with a prybar can get into.

This one suits my needs fine. The house will have an advanced alarm system, it will be bolted to the wall and floor, it will be in a fire rated room, and it will defeat anyone who isn't very serious about getting into it. If all that fails everything is insured individually. I'm good, and don't have to worry about anything, which is the point, because otherwise I'd have everything in glass book cases, which is what I grew up with...
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

It sounds like you got a lot of good suggestions. Do buy one as soon as you can thou. It took two robberies for my daughter's boyfriend to finally buy a safe. He told me they cost too much. Well he has one now with one gun in it. They had wiped him clean last time.

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    No matter the living arrangements you should be responsible for your firearms . Get a safe as soon as you can afford it or get a storage locker so you can lock them up .

Don't count on someone else doing the right thing .
    When it comes to who you can trust, it's usually not your friends you have to worry about, it's your friends friends.

You may be able to trust your friend, but can you trust their other friends, coworkers, family, and acquaintances?

Get a locker of some kind at least, or a full blown safe. Either is better than what you have now.

If it is cheaper to buy a safe than replace your guns if stolen, then it is time for a safe.

While not ideal for all, knowing that as a renter with my current life situation I am more subject to having to move frequently (3 moves in the past 36 months), I have found that buying smaller safes works well for me. Something like a 16 gun safe can usually be handled by 2-3 guys with an appliance dolly. Just keep that in mind, and secure it properly (bolted to the floor and walls).

Once i finally get a house I will get a big gun safe, until then I make do.
    Chaplain Scott and RETSUPT99 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links