Installed New Ameriglo Sights On Glock G17, Now It Shoots Low

This is a discussion on Installed New Ameriglo Sights On Glock G17, Now It Shoots Low within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had my LGS install Ameriglo Pro i-Dot GL-301 sights on my Glock G17. I liked these sights because for sight alignment you place the ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By BillG174
  • 1 Post By N.M. Edmands
  • 1 Post By BillG174
  • 1 Post By N.M. Edmands
  • 1 Post By BillG174
  • 1 Post By N.M. Edmands
  • 2 Post By David Armstrong
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 1 Post By David Armstrong

Thread: Installed New Ameriglo Sights On Glock G17, Now It Shoots Low

Installed New Ameriglo Sights On Glock G17, Now It Shoots Low

I had my LGS install Ameriglo Pro i-Dot GL-301 sights on my Glock G17. I liked these sights because for sight alignment you place the front sight exactly over and on top of the dot in the center of the rear sight. This is easier for my eyes than a 3 dot system.

I really like the new sights but after two trips to the range it appears that when my sight picture positions the front sight at the 6 o'clock position on the target bullseye the point of impact is about 4 inches low shooting at 21 feet.

I compared the new Ameriglo sights to the standard Glock plastic sights the height, etc. and they appear to be the same.

I took my Glock back to the LGS and they inserted a "laser round" into the barrel. When I aimed the gun with proper sight alignment and sight picture the laser beam was dead on the correct location on the target.

Does anyone have any ideas or it might be a trigger control problem.
    DingBat likes this.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

2. Remove Ads

Take your sight picture as you would at the range using the dots- now look at the sight assmblies themselves. I have seen some sights where if you focused on the dots [ball on ball], it set the top of the front post above or below the rear.[ top edge ]
    This is a picture of what I meanGL201web.jpg If you try putting the green ccloser to the corosponding green dot on the rear, it drops the front down in the notch.
    maybe this will help, maybe not, hope you solve it.
    Last edited by N.M. Edmands; June 19th, 2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: additional info
    DingBat likes this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Quote Originally Posted by N.M. Edmands View Post
    Take your sight picture as you would at the range using the dots- now look at the sight assmblies themselves. I have seen some sights where if you focused on the dots [ball on ball], it set the top of the front post above or below the rear.[ top edge ]
    This is a picture of what I meanGL201web.jpg If you try putting the green ccloser to the corosponding green dot on the rear, it drops the front down in the notch.
    maybe this will help, maybe not, hope you solve it.
    Thanks, I will try what your suggest. I am assuming that you still keep the top edge of the front sight even with the top edge of the rear sight when you align the dots on top of each other. Am I thinking correctly?
    DingBat likes this.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

Yes, it's just with the small green dot it's very easy to disregard the larger mounting ring and close up the actual dots. In the picture if you "rested" the colored ring on the bottom of the rear sight notch, you would shoot low.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillG174 View Post
    Thanks, I will try what your suggest. I am assuming that you still keep the top edge of the front sight even with the top edge of the rear sight when you align the dots on top of each other. Am I thinking correctly?
    DingBat likes this.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

When you say:

"Yes, it's just with the small green dot it's very easy to disregard the larger mounting ring and close up the actual dots. In the picture if you "rested" the colored ring on the bottom of the rear sight notch, you would shoot low."

What you mean "close up the actual dots"? I am really trying to understand this! Thanks!
    DingBat likes this.
    Train Hard - Be Safe

The "dot' is the tritium tube[green] in the larger ring of the front sight only, It is the same small size as the rear dot. The picture shows the whole colored ring W/ the green tritium dot in the center with a space of black front sight in the bottom of the rear notch. Final alignment is as if there were no dots, the dots are there to speed up initial acquisition.
    I apologize for not being able to put down what I mean to convey. I think what I mean to say is that without realizing it it is very easy to focus to much on the at dots and miss the post and notch misalignment.
    DingBat likes this.
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    As was said, forget the dots and focus on the traditional iron sight picture, making sure the tops are aligned correctly. Dot alignment is a much coarser sighting method on many systems and is designed more for speed and visibility than precision. Heck, I've got one set that in order to get proper iron sight alignment I have to bury the front dot halfway down in the notch.
    DingBat and N.M. Edmands like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    yes, this happens all the time.

I have a fiber optic front sight on one of my glocks, and I love it for outdoors, field work. but it's big, fat, and in order to get flat across the top with the sights the "round" of the fiber is about 1/3 below the notch.

as suggested, line the sights up as traditional irons, and disregard the "dots". once you have re-found your "zero" then you can start to determine what sight picture your really need to hold in order to utilize the "dots".

if those dots are bright, and bold enough, you may need to put a small piece of black electrical tape over the dots so you can easily differentiate the sight picture. again, once you've gotten back to zero, you can take the tape off and begin to "re-learn" your sights.
    N.M. Edmands likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

I have a Gock question (Thinking of hitting indoor range early tomorrow and renting a G23). Is the sight alignment the same as my Ruger meaning the front sight dot is at 6:00 to my intended hit area?
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Some sights are set to work with the 6:00 hold others are set to work with a Point of Aim=Point of Impact hold, depending on some extent to ammo selection and distance. Within 25 yards I expect POI=POA with my Glocks.
    Kennydale likes this.

Hey BillG174,got any updates for us?
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

I intalled the same sights on an M&P .45...sight alignment should have some spacing between the read and front sight dots. Mine are true to point of aim. Besides, mine handguns are not target guns but defenseive guns...an inch here and there won't make much of a difference unless one is a very poor shot.

Links