Recommendations for 1911 8-round replacement mag spring

This is a discussion on Recommendations for 1911 8-round replacement mag spring within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't find anything specific searching so I thought I would throw this out for the more experienced 1911 people out there. I have a ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By cn262
  • 3 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By cn262
  • 2 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By sensei2
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By sensei2

Thread: Recommendations for 1911 8-round replacement mag spring

Recommendations for 1911 8-round replacement mag spring

I didn't find anything specific searching so I thought I would throw this out for the more experienced 1911 people out there.

I have a Ruger SR1911 CMD that had some problems feeding old Winchester SXT hollowpoints. I had some work done to the feed ramp and barrel and it feeds everything now, but as I was looking through old pictures (I took pictures of the various failures) the one thing I noticed was that each time the failure was with a Ruger 8-round magazine.

I'm using all Ruger factory mags for now, and have a half-dozen 7-round and a half-dozen 8-round. The springs in the 8-round mags are noticeably weaker. I was looking at some Wolff replacement springs (link below) that have "5% extra power." They're not terribly expensive or anything, but I thought that before I bought some I would check to see if there is something better out there.

If you have any suggestions or recommendations please let me know. Thank you.

cn262

GOVT & OFFICERS ACP EXTRA POWER MAGAZINE SPRING | Brownells
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I'd replace the springs in the factory magazines (made by Check-Mate, IIRC?) before buying new mags. Get yourself a 10 spring package of Wolff's XP 1911 magazine springs.
    cn262, gasmitty and gatorbait51 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks OD. I believe they are made by Check-Mate from what I've read - is there a way to tell? A couple of guys told me to just buy Wilson Combat mags, but I'd rather go the spring route first (especially since the 7-round mags seem to work fine). Thanks for the link as well. Hopefully this will do the trick.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

OD*
    You're quite welcome, amigo. The way to tell if they are CM mags is to pull the base plate, if they aren't marked, you compare the witness holes to known mags, and there will not be a seam on the spine of the magazine body.

Wilson Combat has excellent magazines, I'd just go the least expensive road first.
    Cuda66 and gatorbait51 like this.

~ Tiger McKee

Early attempts to make 8-round 1911 magazines did so by changing the follower design - flat compressible metal for Chip McCormick; concave polymer for Wilson. They weren't reliable enough for me. I was content with Wilson 7-round mags.

Later attempts actually build the mag tube down into the basepad just a little, in effect, making the tube just a tiny bit longer. This seems to have been the answer, as current 8-rounds mags from the best makers seem to be very reliable.

A similar procedure occurred with Sig P-220 magazines: Sig's first 8-round mags were iffy, but the current production, with black polymer basepad, seem to run 100%.
    OD* likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    Later attempts actually build the mag tube down into the basepad just a little, in effect, making the tube just a tiny bit longer. This seems to have been the answer, as current 8-rounds mags from the best makers seem to be very reliable.
    In my experience with eight round 1911 mags, those have always been the most reliable for me.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    In my experience with eight round 1911 mags, those have always been the most reliable for me.
    I always had trouble trying to insert a fully loaded, earlier vintage, 8-round 1911 magazine into a 1911 that already had the slide forward on a chambered round. There just wasn't enough spring compression available to let me seat and lock that mag without REALLY slamming it home - which I didn't like doing. When I did use those early 8-rounds 1911 mags, I always just loaded 7. I had fewer bullets, but more peace of mind.
    OD* likes this.

Links