Over and Under for Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays

This is a discussion on Over and Under for Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got bit by the trap and skeet bug after trying skeet for the first time, and trap for the first time in 18 years ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Over and Under for Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

I got bit by the trap and skeet bug after trying skeet for the first time, and trap for the first time in 18 years or so this past Thursday.

I have a Mossberg Maverick for HD but I'd like to get an over and under for the clays. I'm totally new to that field. I only know I don't want something with an auto safety, and I don't need anything fancy.

Recommendations?

How much do you want to spend? About the cheapest good trap guns are Brownings and they go from $1500 used to $3000 new. On the upper end you are looking at 10 to 15 thousand. With a shotgun its all about fit, if it don't fit your are not going to hit. About any shotgun can be made to fit with an adjustable comb and butt plate but here again is money spent. Probably the best thing you can do is ask to shoot a few guns at the trap range and see what you like, I don't know a trap shooter that won't let anyone shoot there shotgun if asked.

Don't need to spend a lot of money. I shoot just as good for trap with my Rem 870 as I do with my waaay more expensive Ithaca with fancy engraving on it.

I would not say that the cheapst good guns go from 1500 to 3000K.
    Tinman517 and DingBat like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    How much do you want to spend? About the cheapest good trap guns are Brownings and they go from $1500 used to $3000 new.
    Wow, I wasn't even looking to spend that much.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    Wow, I wasn't even looking to spend that much.
    Then don't I shoot 20-25's consistently with what shotgun I use.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I use a Winchester Super X pump for shooting trap. It is no problem hanging with the uber expensive shotguns. That being said the Winchester probably will need to be replaced after a couple years of weekly use at a trap range.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Beretta or Remington Autos are a good place to start. Barrels, with different rib heights, are available for either gun. Shooting skeet, or fast sporting clays, with a high ribbed trap gun can be aggravating. In 30+ years of Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays, I have seen the "Latest and greatest" guns, come and go. The Remington 1100, although looked down on by some, will serve you quite well.

When it comes to an over and under, an entry level Beretta with a medium height rib would do nicely. If you are going to shoot clays, a lot, the Beretta is definitely the way to go. Not being negative, but, Brownings do have a reputation for breaking.

Shotgun fit is "CRITICAL", get a gun, with a stock, that fits you. Shotgun sights are, basically, useless. Sights and ribs are good for letting you know if the gun fits. When the gun is mounted, comfortably, the two beads should look like a "Figure 8". If you are focusing on the rib and sights, you will not hit the bird. If a shotgun is used, like a rifle, a miss is guaranteed.

Find a Skeet & Trap range in your area. When it comes to gun fit, he folks there will be happy to guide you in the right direction.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    For the money the CZ over/under is tough to beat! They can be had in the $750 range. Check the used racks at the LGS sometimes a well worn Beretta 686, Winchester 101, or even Ruger Red Label can be found fairly reasonable. BTW, well worn does not mean wore out I think of it as more broken in! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Thanks guys, I shot with a couple of 1100s this last time. They worked well enough, but loading for skeet was cumbersome. I know they shoot the clays on Sunday mornings at my local range, so maybe I'll try bumming around there a bit and checking out the options.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i've shot a lot of clays in all forms.

my dad has a beuatiful older ruger red label.
    any over-under is going to be $$$$, maybe you can find a used one...

any pump gun is going to work great.

if you really are going to be shooting a *LOT* then yes, you will wear out the cheaper pumps and auto's fairly fast. but a lot is a LOT in this case.

IF you are shooting a LOT, then i would seriously consider a 16 or even 20 ga, or definately an autoloader if a 12 ga, the reduction in recoil you will appreciate after the 5,000th round in week number 2. yes, even with weak-sauce game loads. frankly if you do go 16 or 20 it will just make you a better shot in the long run. i learned to shoot clays with a single shot bolt action mossberg .410 that was my grandfathers.

i like REAL benelli's, if i could find a 90's HK imported/stamped M4 that didn't cost as much as a used car....

but if i was getting heavily into the trap game today, i'd go buy Benelli's entry level autoloader and expect 3 years heavy use and a lifetime of intermittant use.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    my dad has a beuatiful older ruger red label.
    I shot a Ruger Red Label many years ago and liked it, but I was told recently they have an auto safety, which I'd prefer to avoid for trap & skeet.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I shot a Ruger Red Label many years ago and liked it, but I was told recently they have an auto safety, which I'd prefer to avoid for trap & skeet.
    Sporting versions of shotguns typically don't have the auto safety.

I picked up a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U for both trap and skeet. Great gun. I hate shooting trap next to the guy with the auto. Getting sprayed with shells kinda stinks.

Go to a store and shoulder a Browning and a Beretta. Typically one or the other will feel better. Then go from there. Good used deals are out there.

Have fun. It's addicting!

I got the bug as well and picked up a new Stevens 555 O/U. Good shooting gun.

I have a Browning Cittori Trap XT. It was about $2,200 otd, new last year. I also have a Browning BT99, single barrel which is my main trap gun. It's lighter, but of course only good for singles trap. It's a '69 thst had never been shot. I got it a couple yeares ago for just over $500. I need a dedicated trap gun like a hole in my head, but for the price...

I started with a Mossberg 500 convertible. You don't need a fancy gun to start. I've shot with my Stoeger coach gun (for kicks) and I recently taught a guy shooting a pistol grip Mossy slug gun with a 20" barrel. I did have a bit of trouble getting him to unhand my BT 99 after we swapped guns though.

Brownings are a lifetime gun. We also have a number of people shooting CZ's at our club, partly because one member works for CZ and spends the winter rebuilding members guns.

Remember trap guns get a lot of rounds if you go regularly. I usually shoot 2-3 rounds a week, so about 3,000 rounds a year let's say. Ten years, 30,000 rounds. A cheap gun may not be up to that. But you can buy new ones as needed. You don't need a custom Tony Galazan or Italian gun other than to impress the regulars at the club. And they will be more impressed when you out shoot them with their own guns after they make fun of your Mossy. LOL

PS, maybe the best overall gun would be the Remington 1100 auto. You can shoot all the games, even take it hunting and use it for home defense. I've heard the Mossy Silver o/u's break firing pins. (So buy some extra?) Some snooty clubs may frown on semi auto and pump because they throw hulls at other shooters. I've never heard anyone complain at our club. An o/u is more social though.

Maybe get a Stoeger and if you end up not shooting much it'll last a long time, if you do you will then know just what "you" want.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I'm gonna try my KSG with some clays soon, should be interesting! haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links