Shooting IDPA classifier today

This is a discussion on Shooting IDPA classifier today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nothing really special in that?, I've shot 3 classifiers before over the last 12 months, I even went a bought a new holster just for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shooting IDPA classifier today

Nothing really special in that?, I've shot 3 classifiers before over the last 12 months, I even went a bought a new holster just for this classifier.

BUT!!!

This time i'm gonna shoot it left-handed!!!

Wish me luck.

Sara Lou
    bmcgilvray and nortelrye like this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Good luck!

Break a leg!

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Well, failed miserably.

First stage I draw the gun left-handed, bring my right hand up as support, dunno if it was adrenaline or conditioning/muscle memory but, I grabbed the gun with my right hand as tho' I was shooting with it, the resulting mess wasn't pretty.

I got the mother of all 'slide bites', blood everywhere!, my thumb exploded, my hand was covered, the gun was covered, I left a drip trail back to the bench, and it went downhill from there, but I did finish the match.... Last place of course.

Sara Lou
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Hope your hand heals quickly. You'll prob do better next time.

Why shoot left handed? Where do you shoot? Ever heard of Cavern Cove in Woodville, AL?

Sorry to hear that Sara Lou. I hope it heals up okay.

I've only shot one classifier, and I scored slightly lower than I thought I would, but it was raining and windy all day that day, so that's my excuse. That's also the same day I got my one and only ever slide bite. Mine was relatively minor compared to what yours sounds like, but I can sympathize.

If I were you I'm not sure I would have continued with the event. I guess you get toughness points for sticking it out
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

Ouch!!! Hope you heal up quickly.

Ouch.... I did that once shooting wrong handed, but just bruised my thumb.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    Well, failed miserably.

First stage I draw the gun left-handed, bring my right hand up as support, dunno if it was adrenaline or conditioning/muscle memory but, I grabbed the gun with my right hand as tho' I was shooting with it, the resulting mess wasn't pretty.

I got the mother of all 'slide bites', blood everywhere!, my thumb exploded, my hand was covered, the gun was covered, I left a drip trail back to the bench, and it went downhill from there, but I did finish the match.... Last place of course.

Sara Lou
    Sounds to me like you succeeded. You completed the course after being injured, just as you would have to do in real life.

Congratulations! I'd give you a "thumbs up" but I don't want to rub it in! Hope you heal quickly.
    nortelrye and Sister like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

You can't fail unless you try.
    failed miserably
    ? I say no way! I shoot two or three classifiers a year USPSA and I've never even thought of attempting it weak handed (since I'm not that good strong handed).
    Looking at your ordeal as a failure would be a sin in my book. Any time you attempt a new method, or come away learning something and gaining valuable experience, it's nothing but positive. Failure would be defined as not even trying. I want you to promise yourself not to say that word again, or at least grasp the definition of the word and how you use it.
    You should congratulate yourself because I'm congratulating you on the attempt alone.
    N.M. Edmands likes this.
    So you want a holy war? How many holes would you like?

Ouch! Hope you heal up fast. Kudos for trying something different though. I bet you learned a lot and are the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
    Ouch! Hope you heal up fast. Kudos for trying something different though. I bet you learned a lot and are the better for it.
    I learned at least one thing, NEVER, EVER, put your hand right behind a slide as you pull the trigger!!! But yes, it was an experience for sure, i've shot leftie before, just not 'on the clock' stressed.

The hardest part was re-adjusting all the normal actions you do with your 'regular' strong hand to your weak hand, the actual shooting is easy, but drawing, doing reloads, remembering which eye to close, etc. while may not sound difficult, but when doing those things under stress is a whole different 'ball game', it certainly does reiterate the 'muscle memory' theory.
    I'm sure with enough practice I could become fairly proficient using my left hand, could I be better as a leftie than as a rightie?, as far as actual shooting, it could be a strong possibility, but could I be better at all aspects of shooting with my left hand?, unless I completely give up on being 'right handed' I doubt it.

And AndyK, to answer your question. I wanted to try the 'leftie' scenario because my right eye is deteriorating quickly, to the point now whenever I shoot IDPA I have to shoot my .45 because I just can't see a 9mm hole anymore, and therefore don't know if I need to make-up shots or not. So the leftie idea was to try using my left eye and match the hand accordingly.
    I've heard of Cavern Cove, but i'm south of you around the Birmingham area and shoot Brocks Gap range in Bessemer and Moss branch range in Anniston.

Thank you to everybody for the well wishes, after cleaning up and treating the wound, it doesn't require stitches and should heal without much scarring in a week or so. I definitely intend to use this as a learning experience, but I will be practicing slow and steady tactics from now on rather than just throwing on a holster and expecting to be able to "run with the big boys".

Sara Lou
    CWOUSCG and bmcgilvray like this.

Distinguished Member
    Hi Zralou, just caught your thread. Sorry you got hurt and that sounds like it would hurt bad. I'm proud of you for at least trying, and you did good in that you finished and probably learned more than most. When blood and pain is involved it will never leave your mind. Are you right hand and left eye dominant? I'm catching that I think from your post. Same here. Am told to keep both eyes open but that hasn't worked so far.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Yes Sister, I am right handed and left eye dominant. I've tried opening both eyes, closing my right eye and moving the gun over some to line up with my left eye, but I haven't been able to master any of them.

I would just like to add, although there was plenty of blood, I don't know if it was because it ripped the skin fairly cleanly, or if it was just the amount of adrenaline flowing, but the pain factor wasn't that big of a problem. Overall, despite the injury, I still enjoyed the day.

Sara Lou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links