Defensive Carry banner

Remington 552 Not cycling CB Shorts

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  SIXTO 
#1 ·
I inherited this Remington 552 Speedmaster. It had feeding issues, so I broke it down and gave it a much needed cleaning. Got it cycling LR ammo just fine, but it
still is having issues with CCI CB SHORTS. Is there a simple solution to this?

I've tried cleaning and lubing. All parts seem to be there, but it stove pipes the empties. I was going to sell it, but feel I can't get what I should be able to get out of it
with it not functioning correctly. Or do the Remington 552's cycle subsonics (low velocity) rounds? Maybe just plain (higher velocity) shorts is what they're meant to fire.

Any help here is appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I do believe ole' Doc Glockman has diagnosed and treated the patient.

#4 ·
I suspect your rifle is working just fine. If you look in the manual for the rifle, you will see that it specifies short, long, and long rifle ammo. I don't think it was designed to operate with other cartridges. As noted below, the CB is a lower power cartridge that I wouldn't expect to have the power to operate that action.

Manuals are available here: Shotgun Owner Manual - Centerfire Manual - Rimfire Manual - Remington Owners Manuals

From Wikipedia:

"....22 CB Cap (Conical Ball Cap, known as a 6mm Flobert in Europe) is a variety of .22 caliber rimfire ammunition which has a very small propellant charge (usually no gunpowder, just the primer), resulting in a low muzzle velocity of between 350 and 700 ft/s (110 to 210 m/s).[SUP][2][/SUP] This is similar to the muzzle velocity produced by a low to mid-power .22 pellet gun, however the bullet from a .22 CB cartridge is significantly heavier than a typical airgun pellet and therefore carries more energy. Due to their low power, CB rounds can be trapped by most pellet gun traps. In longer rifle barrels the CB has a very quiet, seemingly non-existent report due to the lack of residual pressure at the muzzle.

The original .22 CB cartridge has the same case as the .22 BB, but there are now low-power .22 rounds sold as .22 CB Short and .22 CB Long which come in the more common .22 rimfire cartridge cases. The longer cases will allow the rounds to be fired in magazine fed firearms, in which the tiny CB Cap cases would jam. So while having the same length, the modern .22 CB Short and the .22 Short are two different cartridges. The CB has a reduced powder load and is kept (as mentioned above) between 350 and 700 ft/s, while the Short with an increased powder amount launches the same 29 gr bullet around and above 1000 ft/s...."

Oops! late to the party again!

#10 ·
Thanks everyone. That's what I was thinking was that the CB's didn't have enough power to cycle it therefore not pushing the bolt open far enough so it pins the casing just as it gets spun around.

I don't have my hands on any standard shorts to try, but will try to get ahold of some to try.

#12 ·
WOW. I haven't even seen Shorts in years.

They aren't just laying around everywhere. Good luck with that . Shorts in a long barreled .22 are pretty quiet.

Most fun I ever had squirrel hunting was with shorts. Had to hit them in the head though, but I sure ate well.

#13 ·
I was thinking the same thing but with CBs. I used to shoot rabbits in the head with CBs when I was younger from an old Marlin .22. It never cycled but the shot was only about as loud as a crossman BB gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.