Internal locks - what is your opinion

This is a discussion on Internal locks - what is your opinion within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have several guns with internal locks. A couple of Taurus and a couple of Smith and Wesson revolvers. Springfield seems to have them on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Internal locks - what is your opinion

Internal locks - what is your opinion

I have several guns with internal locks. A couple of Taurus and a couple of Smith and Wesson revolvers. Springfield seems to have them on their 1911's but not sure about other models. One reason I haven't bought one.

I'm considering selling my guns with locks. I just don't like the idea that my gun could potentially lock on me.

What is your opinion of these new locks?
    gatorbait51 and bmcgilvray like this.

2. Remove Ads

I refurse to buy locks esp as for smith they were forced into using them by the brady group ... And yes the Smith have locked but mostly on the large bore light weight guns ie 347 and 44 mag and up guns ..The 44 mags I know esp had this issue ...

Taurus is a bit more murky from what I read the way they are set up they should not auto lock but I have people tell me they sold theres as it happen so not sure on that

For Springfield the EMP is the only one I know for for sure that has a interal saftey lock system ...

You can easily for smith take the lock off and cover it up if you like the gun....

Ruger on the LCR have them on some models too I think ...

Here is the other thing to think about for the non lock smith models the price is often pretty high due to demmand ... So sometime to think about .. There were no lock Taurus as well but they are the older models .. I have a few

Also Rossi I know has locks on them now as they are made by Taurus .. The old interarms ones do not that I have seen so far

Me I dont have kids etc so dont feel a need for a Interal lock.. My worry is not so much the gun locking but me forogting I locked it and then going to carry it
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I would prefer not to have them, but it does not keep me from buying or carrying a gun with an internal lock.
    gatorbait51, GWarden and SWIll like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My LC9 has one but I've never engaged it before. Doesn't seem to be an issue
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTeacher View Post
    I have several guns with internal locks. A couple of Taurus and a couple of Smith and Wesson revolvers. Springfield seems to have them on their 1911's but not sure about other models. One reason I haven't bought one.

I'm considering selling my guns with locks. I just don't like the idea that my gun could potentially lock on me.

What is your opinion of these new locks?

I wont buy one again,it was a noob mistake on my part but I have never heard of any failing

Springfield has no locks on their 1911s
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    The only one I know about is the Bersa 9UC Pro, it is a non-issue on it. There is no way it could get accidentally engaged. On other firearms I couldn't tell you.
    You need to study the mechanism and know how it works, that is a good idea in any case. I like to know how any mechanical contrivance around me works.
    If someone took your gun apart down to the last screw and pin could you put it back together? If I can't, I won't carry it. Guns are pretty simple devices there is no reason not to know them inside out.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

On revolvers I avoid them like the plague. I recently bought an older S&W 686 simply because I didn't want a new one with a lock. As for pistols, I have a Taurus PT-92, Steyr L9-A1, and a Steyr S9-A1, and while they all have internal locks, I have never engaged them and see no reason to. I also don't want a car with lane avoidance warning, heads up display, auto-braking while in cruise control mode, and other nanny warning systems, but that's just me.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

A pretty easy solution for those of us that have locks and don't want them. I hired a gunsmith to remove the locking mechanism and install this "plug". The "Plug" for a S&W J-Frame
    DingBat and gatorbait51 like this.

Thanks, nice to know about the Smiths. That's what started this, I discovered my LC9 (EDC) has one. Between that and the 10 foot trigger pull it's going in the sell box, along with the Judge.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    A pretty easy solution for those of us that have locks and don't want them. I hired a gunsmith to remove the locking mechanism and install this "plug". The "Plug" for a S&W J-Frame
    You read legal "horror stories" about people who removed them and used the gun in a SD action and paid a price.
    Are they true? I don't know. As for me, I choose not to have one on any carry gun.
    YMMV
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

We have owned S&W revolvers with and without the internal lock including my wife's carry J-frame and a couple of 460 S&W magnums. We have never had one lock up on us while shooting, but my wife and I carry an S&W key on our key rings just in case.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    We have owned S&W revolvers with and without the internal lock including my wife's carry J-frame and a couple of 460 S&W magnums. We have never had one lock up on us while shooting, but my wife and I carry an S&W key on our key rings just in case.
    Agree I never had a problem other than they jingle or rattle a little bit. Great tip to carry the key with you!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I have one on my Taurus Model 605, but have never used it - don't have any idea where the key is - same goes for a Remington 870 shotgun. I've stayed away from S&W because of their horrible lock, and inflated prices. Some like them, others couldn't care less - to each his own.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    It goes against my grain to buy something only to pay someone else to remove a piece of it. I'd rather just buy a great condition older revolver and skip the middle man.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I see a lot of people who say that they would not buy a gun with an internal lock on it because it could lock up on them. Has anyone here actually had one with a lock activate while they were shooting?
    gatorbait51 and BurgerBoy like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links