What gun should I buy for my wife's personal protection.

This is a discussion on What gun should I buy for my wife's personal protection. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New to CC, have a Springfield XDM 3.8 for carry. Figuring out what to get my wife. She's 60 and 5'3 so I believe a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What gun should I buy for my wife's personal protection.

New to CC, have a Springfield XDM 3.8 for carry. Figuring out what to get my wife. She's 60 and 5'3 so I believe a revolver with an appropriate trigger pressure would be better and easier for her age and stature than an auto. Recommendations appreciated.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Something in a 38 spl all metal frame (help soak up the recoil) 2 inch gun If she is recoil sensitive Federal reduced SD recoil loads.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211...oint-box-of-20

IS this for HD or for Carry?

If its for HD get her an AR and teach her how to flip the safety!

If its for carry then I would go with the above.

Not a big Taurus semi fan, their revolvers ain't to bad http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
    AmmoFan01 and Kennydale like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Welcome to the site.

I would let her choose.

Just an FYI, this has been discussed numerous times. You can do a search for forum topics.

personally I would suggest that she buy it.

My Wife likes the:

Glock 42
    Smith Wesson Shield
    Taurus 85
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

Let her fire a gun you might be surpise what she likes ..

As been said covered many times this has ...

But my fav for carry that dont jump too much are :

1. The sig all metal guns the 239 and the 938 and 238 and the like .. The 238 was the softest shooting 380 pocket gun I have used
    2. Ruger 357 SP all metal guns hevey and well built no real kick with normal 38 rounds

The bretta 86 is a nice gun no slide to rack and a big well build heavy gun ...

Also the ladysmith series of wheel guns and semis are nice to look into as well .. I have femal freinds with them
    Linejudgemick and kensington like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Really though let her try ... I can not tell you the number of WTS adds that start with " I bough this ________ for the wife/girl freind etc and she hated it so now I am selling it "

I would add look at the old model 49 bodygguards with paycmar grips they are bit easier to handle
    Linejudgemick likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I'll echo what everyone else says. Let her pick it out. If it is a semi-auto, make absolutely certain she can cycle the slide (I have a friend who learned this the hard way).
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I don't know about your wife, but when it comes to my wife buying something for her, I keep my mouth shut and my wallet open.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Just a suggestion, take her to a range or ranges that rent guns, or call your shooting buddies and have them bring guns for her to try... Too many times in classes I have seen women shooting nice guns that they either couldn't shoot well or just plain out hated... When asked why they are shooting a particular firearm in instances like this, they often reply that their husband or boyfriend got it for them...
    I understand the desire to arm those you love, but even after they determine for themselves to carry, they still must decide what they want to carry.... Just like many here on DC who have different choices of what works best for them... Those in many of our lives whom we care deeply for may also have personal preferences

My best advice it to help her find something she likes, finds comfortable, and can accurately shoot (preferably something larger than 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I'll echo what everyone else says. Let her pick it out. If it is a semi-auto, make absolutely certain she can cycle the slide (I have a friend who learned this the hard way).
    If she cant OP look at the Bretta tip up guns the Tomcat and model 86 .. No slide to rack just tip up the barrel and load ... Ditto for the tomcat and jetfire but smaller caliber on them ...

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I let my wife choose and she picked out a nickle Bersa Thunder 380. She only carried it four maybe five times because she said it was too heavy. She does not shoot well with it, has FTF due to limp wristing and has trouble racking the slide. The last time I took her out to shoot it she had a FTF on the second shot. "Tap, rack, what? Where do I tap?" She might as well have a two shot Derringer.

I fixed the problem by replacing it with a hammerless Ruger LCR 38 with the fiberoptic site and she loves it.
    CommonCents and Kutz like this.

If its for a SD I recommend a .38 snub nose, but not the airweight because the recoil is pretty sharp, especially with +p loads.

My wife declared imminent domain and swiped my GLOCK 19. That's okay, 'cause she's my...backup! I'm with the previous posters who say - Let HER pick it, preferably after some high-quality training from a FEMALE instructor. We men often punish our spouses with bad intel about guns because our own egos won't let us imagine that, while there are experts, they...ain't us.
    Sister, Old Sarge and sammeow like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    In lieu of the recent SCOTUS decision, you'd better let her fill out the paperwork and pay herself. Good luck looking for the "best" gun. There are many that will fit that bill.
    AmmoFan01 and PEF like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    Like the fellows said, you get her whatever gun she wants. It needs to fit her hand. From personal experience and learning here the shorter the barrel the more kick - keep that in mind. I love Smith & Wesson because of the rounded handle but she may not. If you got kids at home you may re-think the pink gun thing. Personally I don't care for pink guns but each to their own.

Welcome, glad to have you here
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links