What if...?

What if...?

This is a discussion on What if...? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What if guns were cheaper, easier to obtain, and we had 'firearm training' in grade school? Maybe a better armed and educated public would make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What if...?

What if...?

What if guns were cheaper, easier to obtain, and we had 'firearm training' in grade school? Maybe a better armed and educated public would make everyone a lot safer.

We once had plenty of "firearm training"; dads & grand dads, the Boy Scouts, 4H, even my summer Church Camp held safety training (and shooting technique) instruction. Yet, like classes in civics & history, or lessons in responsibility & self-reliance, it now simply doesn't conveniently mesh with the realities of modern, progressive philosophy. It's (IMHO) not about cost or access to training, it's all about "the agenda of control". And we are increasingly losing that battle to folks who wish to control...us!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    gregivq, is that you in your avatar? Is so, you'd make a great stand-in for Samuel L. Jackson.

There are endless "ifs" in any scenario. I remember shooting .22s at the YMCA summer camp (Circa 1958-59) and it didn't turn me into a deranged killer--just deranged period. I have no problem whatsoever with allowing small kids shoot firearms under direct adult supervision.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That's Lazarus, S.L. Jackson's character in "Black Snake Moan". Unless, of course, gregivq IS ...the aforementioned Mr. Jackson.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Kids and guns

I taught my kids to shoot when they hit ten and have been shooting since then. I'm a cop so there's always a gun setting on the dinning room table, it's simply no big deal now, of course the kids are in their twenties and moved out, but even before in their teens, it just wasn't a novelty for them. Start them early and emphasize safety and respect for the gun, take the mystery out of it and it's not a temptation.

VIP Member
    We were able to shoot and had competitions in the crawlspace of a school in Maryland when i was a young man . All disappeared once we decided we did not want to offend people , nnow anytime someone starts the crying about this or that we all have to give up a little more of our freedoms .

I wish i could live in a cabin in the woods and get away from all this drama , and only drive into town when i want to be annoyed with the stupidity .
    Last edited by welder516; June 25th, 2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: speeelling
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I wish i could live in a cabin in the woods and get away from all this drama , and only drive into town when i want to be annoyed with the stupidity .
    Now yer talkin' Welder! Please note my location, for EXACTLY that very reason.
    welder516 and BurgerBoy like this.

The first place I ever shot a gun was the basement of a school. They provided .22's & we had to bring the bullets. It wasn't even my school. A well armed society is a polite society. With that being said....

It goes along with basic life training, not just about guns. When most of us grew up, we spent time with other people, we socialized. TV was limited, electronics were in your kitchen or bathroom. Your parents/grandparents did not have to work so much, and spent time with there kids. A healthy family unit. The new society spends so much time away from everyone else, buried in media, let them do what they want, no disappointments, everyone is the best & everyone gets a trophy. Lack of parenting.....
    ccw9mm and BurgerBoy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Now yer talkin' Welder! Please note my location, for EXACTLY that very reason.
    Funny thing. When we moved out here 30 years ago, it was the backwoods.
    Unfortunately, all the crazies followed us over the years. Guess it's time to move further out.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by Sbestry View Post
    What if guns were cheaper, easier to obtain, and we had 'firearm training' in grade school? Maybe a better armed and educated public would make everyone a lot safer.
    Yes, if the ridiculous hysteria were educated out of people from the start, basing opinions of such things on facts and skill and knowledge, I think we'd be far better off. Far more people would be knowledgeable, less apt to be led astray by the deceit and lies of the would-be overlords, and a far greater percentage of folks would likely be well-armed and capable of withstanding predation. All of which would help resist tyranny more strongly.

As some have suggested, above, it's just one facet of basic life skills one should learn growing up. Fail to learn such things in the 18th and 19th centuries, and you'd starve or get mowed down. Fail to learn such things today, and you risk finding yourself living in another country run by tyrants.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

you can not think like that these days. that was a time long ago.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

In my very public New York City high School (Abraham Lincoln H.S., Brooklyn, NY) we had a .22 rifle range in the basement of the school, and we supported a Rifle Team. 50's-60's don't know when the team got disbanded but they where part of the educational system back then.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    Once upon a time that was common. Sears, hardware stores, in fact most department stores sold guns. Shooting and gun safety was taught in schools, and youth organizations also taught it. Of course they also taught respect for others, respect for authority, responsibility for your actions. Parents disciplined their children and schools maintained discipline. Guess what, we didn't have near the problems we have now. Were there shootings? Yes, but for the most part they were isolated and usually a one on one thing, not mass shootings just for the thrill of doing it.

In today's world guns are found for sale in gun stores or gun shows. Youth organizations no longer teach shooting and gun safety. Respect of self and others is for the most part a thing of the past. As is responsibility for your actions. There is no such thing as discipline in school and too many parents think raising a child is giving them an X-box and flat screen TV to play it on.

Hmmmmm...I wonder why we have the problems we do today!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

1: Guns are driven by the market. We are our own worst enemies when it comes to gun prices. Also, considering you can get used firearms from private sales, I would not conisder firearms "expensive"
    2: They are really not that hard to obtain. Except for very few places in this country, about any person can get one. In fact, if you are a felon you can still buy one illegaly...so I do not see how much easier it can get except for no background checks (which I amin favor of)
    3: I am not sure about "firearm training" in school. Firearm safety classes I am in favor of. I do not want someone teaching my kid how to shoot.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links