Aftermarket grips for a Official Police 38

This is a discussion on Aftermarket grips for a Official Police 38 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a 1943 Colt Official Police 38. The stock grip, with a Mershon filler is intact, but I'm looking for a Hogue monogrip ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dakotalee
  • 1 Post By dakotalee

Thread: Aftermarket grips for a Official Police 38

I just bought a 1943 Colt Official Police 38. The stock grip, with a Mershon filler is intact, but I'm looking for a Hogue monogrip for everyday use. I called Hogue and the guy wasn't sure if a 46000 model Python grip from Hogue would fit or not. Does anyone know the frame designation of this old Colt 38? I'm leaning towards it being an "I" frame. Also any info on if the current Hogue 46000 Python grip will fit this old Colt or not??? Thank you!

You might get lucky in your search, but aftermarket grips for a revolver that's been out of production nearly 50 years is probably a tall order.

I can understand the existing grip not fitting your hand, but surely recoil from a .38 can't be driving the need - right? I think you might be more successful with a custom grip maker. Here's one you can contact: Custom Pistol Grips and Kits - CollinsCraftGrips

Of course you'll pay more than the $25 you'd spend on Hogues, but the results will likely be worth the cost.

And by the way, welcome to the forum, neighbor!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Hogue said if the frame is a "I" frame that the 46000 model Python should fit. Colts closed for the weekend, but I'll be calling them come Monday. I want to keep the Original grip stored, and have two boys that will be firing the 38. I'm sure one of them will accidentally drop or bang it into to something, knowing that their kids. Thanks for the link, and the Welcoming... Eastsider!
    USM1976 likes this.

Any original factory Python stocks or aftermarket stocks intended for the Python will fit your neato Official Police revolver perfectly. What we really need are some nice photos of your new/old Colt acquisition.

I love me some Smith & Wessons and Colts!

The Official Police was built on Colt's E-Frame otherwise known as the ."41 frame" as it was just big enough to be suitable for producing revolvers chambered for the old obsolete .41 Long Colt. When Colt introduced the I-Frame, it amounted to nothing more than the E-Frame with the firing pin moved from the hammer nose to a frame-mounted arrangement. The I-Frame almost certainly had some unseen engineering changes connected with steels and heat-treating to strengthen it for high-pressure .357 Magnum usage.

Grips/stocks will interchange between a Python and any of several Colt "mid-frame-size" developments going back to the 1907 introduction of Colt's Army Special.

This thread was posted last year and touches on the subject just a little bit within the narrative.
    The Colt Three-Fifty-Seven Revolver
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The Colt is in really great shape, I don't think it was ever holstered very much. I took it to the Range and it shot very well. I was using standard MagTech 38 Special 158 gr. I ordered the Hogue Monogrip 46000 Python grip today from eCop on eBay. A lot of people say it really improves the feel of the gun...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dakotalee; July 1st, 2014 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Added some information...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    Be certain to save those old grips and that Tyler T-Grip...you may ultimately decide you like them better (I do like Hogue grips too, by the way). OMO, YMMV.

A wonderful find, congratulations!!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Hey, there it is! Definitely pre-war attributes seen there. Does look great with the original stocks and grip adapter. Can't tell. Is that a Tyler, or a Mershon or Pachmayr?

It probably shoots nicely with the set up too but you'll probably like that Hogue better.

Oh duh ... you did say Mershon in the original post.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links