Ported or not?

Ported or not?

This is a discussion on Ported or not? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you had a choice to buy two identical model 57 S&W revolvers, one Magna-Ported. The other not. Both .44 magnums with 6 inch barrels. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ported or not?

Distinguished Member

Question Ported or not?

If you had a choice to buy two identical model 57 S&W revolvers, one Magna-Ported. The other not. Both .44 magnums with 6 inch barrels. Not carry guns, but could be a defensive gun when needed. Which would you choose and why? Help me decide. I have not yet fired a ported handgun.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Non ported. I love the bang, flash and all that comes with the .44 mag...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Since the intent of the gun isn't as a carry gun, but rather a range toy, I'd go with the ported version. Less punishment to the hands and wrist.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If I owned any ported handguns, which I don't, they would be competition or range guns only. My reasoning is that a self defense handgun might well need to fired from a retention position close to my body. A ported gun fired from this position could send powder residue and hot gasses into my face. To me, the slight improvement in shot-to-shot times which a ported gun could give me, is not worth the chance of being knocked out of a fight by my own gun.
    Diddle, motorcop and RebelSoul like this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    My reasoning is that a self defense handgun might well need to fired from a retention position close to my body. A ported gun fired from this position could send powder residue and hot gasses into my face.
    I really agree with this.
    motorcop likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    If you had a choice to buy two identical model 57 S&W revolvers, one Magna-Ported. The other not. Both .44 magnums with 6 inch barrels. Not carry guns, but could be a defensive gun when needed. Which would you choose and why? Help me decide. I have not yet fired a ported handgun.
    The S&W® Mdl 57 is a 41 Remington Magnum. The 44 Magnum S&W® is a Mdl 29 (Blue) or 629 (Stainless). What are these two guns you are considering?
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

First I don't think a 44 or 41 mag with a six inch barrel ported or not is a good carry gun, unless your using for hunting. That's a lot of power and that round has got to stop somewhere . In an urban environment the caliber is ,in my opinion too large. I think that all porting does is reduce recoil and allow quicker target acquisition after firing.
    Diddle likes this.

M57 is a nice gun, I'd love to have one (ported). My M29 was ported and it made a difference. Of course you don't have to shoot full house magnums on a daily basis and loaded down either the .41 or .44 are quite pleasant to shoot. For SD I'd prefer down loaded ammo in those calibers and in that case the un-ported gun would be fine.

I'd buy them both and sell the one that doesn't shoot as well for you.

I just bought a ported S&W .44 mag. It doesn't seem to kick as much as I seem to remember, but the front sight is a bear to keep clean with all the gasses and lead shooting up around it. It doesn't take many shots to turn the orange blade to gray. Granted it has an optic, but I still like to keep it clean.
    My vote is non. If you want lighter recoil shoot specials out of it.

I have fired a non ported 4inch .. Yeah with mags esp true load it does kick a little bit but if you know how to grip and roll it is not horrible .. Most of the time I would just load 44 speicals in it and it was a kitty kat with that ...

I like the 4inch 29 a gun that I could use for carry etc .... I dont hunt so I dont see the need for some 6-10 inch Joker gun

I think with a 6inch barrel it will kick less then 4 inch so porting might not be needed
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Me I would be more worried if the gun had a lock or not on it ... The large bores were the ones that had isseues with locking
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Myself, I'd choose the ported one. Presuming it's well done. Am a fan of limiting muzzle flip, recoil. Have had porting on a few guns, and I've thought it made a noticeable difference. Have shot some ported sidearms with considerable power where I thought the impact was even greater.

For a carry sidearm, though, I am pretty sure I'd avoid the porting. Haven't had one yet, for carry. Don't imagine I ever will.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    I have been wrestling over a .41 mag model 57 on one of the gun auction sites. Most of the info I can find on porting seems to be negative. It sounds like a really good buy, I guess the porting is a drawback for most. I thank you all for the replies, I just wanted some opinions from my friends here. I guess I'll have to let this one get away. Thanks again.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    I have been wrestling over a .41 mag model 57 ...
    You now, for a .41mag I'd be willing to give it a shot. Couldn't hurt. You could always get another, different one, if it didn't float your boat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links